Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 vlx no bass in speakers and nothing from the sub..

jonwindsor

Hi All,

2009 vlx and i can't get any bass out of my system.  I have the stock RF HU and the screen doesn't work and hasn't worked since I've owned the boat.  Could the bass of gotten turned off in a setting?  Could it be the JBL "black box"?  I've traced a ton of wires and checked a ton of connections.   I also have the WS 420BT.  It's working but but still no bass and nothing from the sub.  Its almost like all my speakers sound flat.  Any way I can completely bypass the stock HU and just use the 420BT?  I also have a inline Bluetooth module for my source of music. All three amps- one for the tower speakers, 1 for the interior speakers and one for the sub all have power so that's not the issue.  This all happen when i was riding and my buddy was driving.  Did have kids in the boat so not sure if a button or two could of gotten pushed or not. Any other ideas? 

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, jonwindsor said:

I have the stock RF HU and the screen doesn't work and hasn't worked since I've owned the boat.  Could the bass of gotten turned off in a setting?  Could it be the JBL "black box"

Could be why the screen is not working. I do not think the one screen brand is compatible with the others black box. 

Any way I can completely bypass the stock HU and just use the 420BT?

Sure! As long as you are content with blue tooth or hard wire AUX for your music source. With the screen out on the factory system, how are you using the black box currently? Is it just stock on one source mode? 

I also have a inline Bluetooth module for my source of music.

Where is this plugged into the system audio wise? 

Ok, good, this narrows it down a little. We dont actually want bass from the full range speakers. Mid-bass ranged, yes. Bass we want from the woofer. 

As to the lack of desired sound quality from the speakers; Check your phone's EQ setting. I prefer off or flat. Center the EQ frequency dials. Next, you would need to investigate the amp setting. Woofer amp powered up? Power light on and in normal or protect mode? No light or protect mode, check voltage at cables. Swap the in-boats or tower amp RCA with the woofer RCA outputs at the back of the EQ and see if you get some woofer output. Just make sure both the master and zone volume are turned up. This to, can be amp setting. 

Just started focusing on the sub amp and the sub wires.  Took your guys advice and just assumed the speakers were not tuned well.  I took the sub off the box and found the negative wire connection melted.  I think that’s my issue.  I just replaced the wires and the sub is now back!  Going to tune the boat speakers with the sub on the lowest setting and then I’ll be back out on the water!  Thanks guys!