Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LSV 23 Weight + Trailer

snowmanwithahat

So what you are saying is that Malibu under reports the weight?  :lol:

Yup.  That is why it is a good idea to up the load rating on the tires of most of the stuff they sell.  They can be overloaded from day 1

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, snowmanwithahat said:

Zh9xm9UD6on2MQSv211jNwzyly2FTSUDpXzp90gN

I think the weight reported is invalid, after all Kristi signed her name wrong.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yup.  That is why it is a good idea to up the load rating on the tires of most of the stuff they sell.  They can be overloaded from day 1

Just ask your trailer winch. ☹️

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Yeah I had a blowout on my last boat trailer literally this week (Wed). The tires are being pushed to their max, at nearly max pressure, definitely max weight (2,200 rated, and 2,200 scale verified). I'm terrified to have this happen to a trailer I care about and am already pretty nervous about these tires they included on my Malibu trailer.

The yellow one is a Prestige single axle trailer for a 20' Crownline with a 5,000 lb axle. Really did some damage to the trailer unfortunately :( Of course, it happened on the way to show it to a potential buyer... just my luck lol

qN80n6Um5bU9ihy2qUXgvtfJdH3KVMGjTzmQDabn

-GiZR92oSCzCc1z5XgDNRc0bBkJxd8pSpkzMosQ5

Edited by snowmanwithahat

And yet people are towing their 24-26 footers loaded with lead and gear with 1/2 tons and SUVs and no WDH.  No bueno.   Thanks for weighing and posting.  

45 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

And yet people are towing their 24-26 footers loaded with lead and gear with 1/2 tons and SUVs and no WDH.  No bueno.   Thanks for weighing and posting.  

The factory hitch on my 1/2 ton truck is rated for 12,000lbs and 1200lbs tongue weight.  800lbs is only 66% of the allowed capacity - not exactly a need for a WDH.  And do they even make a WDH for surge brakes?

32 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

The factory hitch on my 1/2 ton truck is rated for 12,000lbs and 1200lbs tongue weight.  800lbs is only 66% of the allowed capacity - not exactly a need for a WDH.  And do they even make a WDH for surge brakes?

My post above was generally referring to bigger, heavier boats than the one listed (I specifically referred to 24-26 footers loaded with lead) and I was thinking of most of the 1/2 tons on the road that up until very recently were rated for 500lbs of carry max regardless of their tow capacity when I posted.  There's a thread on Planet Nautique, for example, where the guy who started the thread is towing a big heavy G with a Ford Raptor with a 5k hitch rating.  No thanks.  

Some of the new 1/2 tons do have big carry ratings (like yours) compared to what they were just a few years ago.   I still personally think 1200 lbs. of carry is very heavy for a 1/2 ton--even the new ones--as it takes a lot of weight off the steer axle and takes up a big chunk of the payload capacity.  My 2016 GMC 2500 that I just sold was rated to carry 1600 lbs. from the bumper hitch (IIRC), but it started getting a little loose and bouncy on the front end when I was carrying more than a 1000 lbs. on the ball without a WDH when the trailer was longer than 20 feet.  I usually had about 1100 lbs. on the hitch when I towed my TT without a WDH and it was a noticeably worse experience than when I used a WDH.  I still did it so I am not in a position to judge.   

All that said, they do make a WDH for surge breaks, but I would avoid using that combination of gear together if at all possible by getting a more capable tow vehicle.

All just my opinions, YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

For those following, my weights were apparently with a full tank of fuel from the dealer (Thanks Tommy's of Grand Rapids!)

Edited by snowmanwithahat
  • Like 1
On 6/28/2019 at 6:34 PM, jjackkrash said:

My post above was generally referring to bigger, heavier boats than the one listed (I specifically referred to 24-26 footers loaded with lead) and I was thinking of most of the 1/2 tons on the road that up until very recently were rated for 500lbs of carry max regardless of their tow capacity when I posted.  There's a thread on Planet Nautique, for example, where the guy who started the thread is towing a big heavy G with a Ford Raptor with a 5k hitch rating.  No thanks.  

Some of the new 1/2 tons do have big carry ratings (like yours) compared to what they were just a few years ago.   I still personally think 1200 lbs. of carry is very heavy for a 1/2 ton--even the new ones--as it takes a lot of weight off the steer axle and takes up a big chunk of the payload capacity.  My 2016 GMC 2500 that I just sold was rated to carry 1600 lbs. from the bumper hitch (IIRC), but it started getting a little loose and bouncy on the front end when I was carrying more than a 1000 lbs. on the ball without a WDH when the trailer was longer than 20 feet.  I usually had about 1100 lbs. on the hitch when I towed my TT without a WDH and it was a noticeably worse experience than when I used a WDH.  I still did it so I am not in a position to judge.   

All that said, they do make a WDH for surge breaks, but I would avoid using that combination of gear together if at all possible by getting a more capable tow vehicle.

All just my opinions, YMMV.

Raptor has a 8000lb towing capacity, 800lb tongue capacity. They don’t recommend using a weight distribution hitch with a swing a way tongue. Surely don’t think the g23 combination is safe unless you’re just moving a short distance at less than highway speeds.

Edited by surfdude

Curious to toss my '19 23LSV on the scale to see what it comes in at.  I have the M6, Gx tower, and the swim step and I am guessing together those add a few extra pounds.

9 hours ago, surfdude said:

Raptor has a 8000lb towing capacity, 800lb tongue capacity. They don’t recommend using a weight distribution hitch with a swing a way tongue. Surely don’t think the g23 combination is safe unless you’re just moving a short distance at less than highway speeds.

Not all of the raptors come with 800 lbs. of carry-weight capacity; it depends on the configuration and the model year.  For example:

https://www.tfltruck.com/2017/02/2017-ford-raptor-definitive-maximum-towing-payload-specs/

And every pound of carry weight and every pound of gear and people in the truck takes away from payload capacity, which in some configurations is only a 1000 lbs.  And, I agree on the G, I would not personally pick a Raptor to haul a big G around, but I am also old and getting more risk averse the older I get.    

On 6/28/2019 at 12:32 PM, snowmanwithahat said:

Hey guys, I've seen a lot of questions going around about the weight of these boats on their trailer. I got a chance to weigh mine last night and I was surprised to see that the math of 5,000lb boat and 1,700lb trailer didn't add up to 6,700, instead it was 7,200 with about 800lbs of tongue weight. My truck weighs 8,300 with me in it at the same scale. For "only" 7,200, I could really feel it back there and I'm glad I got a Cummins. I know these can be towed with a half ton, but it feels like it would really be pushing the limits of half ton trucks in hilly areas.

D55p2avXwhIue8NpQ27XldMtIyuUw1i4Jz33A8NI

Zh9xm9UD6on2MQSv211jNwzyly2FTSUDpXzp90gN

My 18  LSV23 with Raptor 410 full of gas and coolers ready for lake is 7,240 lbs on cat scale. 800 lb tongue weight too.