Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Confused why so many don’t use the wedge?

Guppydriver

On 6/13/2019 at 8:33 PM, bbattiste247 said:

I am confused why you think so many people don't use the wedge. If people are serious about wake surfing and want to get the most out of their boat, they will utilize the wedge. I doubt if there are many members on here, with surf gate, who do not use the wedge.

I agree with using it but this site is littered with those saying they don’t use it fir Wakeboarding or surfing or both 

ahopkins22LSV
34 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

I agree with using it but this site is littered with those saying they don’t use it fir Wakeboarding or surfing or both 

Littered is quite the exaggeration. Just look at this thread. The vast majority say they all use it. Two or three people come to mind that day they prefer the wave without it. 

OK, Ill bite.  On my 05 VLX, fixed wedge for wakeboarding just made the wave washy.  It was better to just weigh the boat down evenly.  Surfing, we would use the wedge for port side wave, but starboard side didnt need it.  Wed still use it and just speed up . 

My 19 is a different animal entirely.  Using the wedge really helps "tune" the wake.  For wakeboarding you can control the lip a lot more.  I prefer a little less kick at the top of the wake, while most of my riding buddies love it.  Cool, tap that button there and youre ready.  Surfing, same deal.  I like a medium amount of wedge, my 110lb wife doesnt need hardly any, so we just use 1 click to lengthen it out to the max.

Lastly, lift mode, or autowedge is AMAZING.  Anyone whos pulled wakeboarding heavy knows how long it takes to plane, this cuts that in half at least.  You do nothing but throttle down and the boat does the rest.  

I am one of those who prefers not to use the wedge, unless we are in a hurry to wakeboard with a large crew and we need lift mode to jump on plane. At that point, it is set to 1.

My wakeboarding history is long at at a high level and 3 event skiing before that.

When the wedge was introduced, we tried adding it to more or less existing weight setups. Most of us felt that while it did create more displacement and a slightly bigger wake, it forced a harder edge up the face of the wake to get the same “pop”. This was fine when using a progressive edge, but on a continuous edge, it changed things. 

Fast forward almost 20 years, the power wedge has more adjustability and for some is a great tool. I still feel that it forces a harder cut up the face of the wake... 

For surfing, I have been on boats that were weight so that the wedge was necessary to create the optimum wave.

But, with the way I have my A24 setup, we feel that the surf wave is better without it. 

I also do not change anything to speak of between surfing and wakeboarding other than surf gate.

Everything is about personal preference now. Before I took a hiatus from riding, the wake I would seek was that setup of the next upcoming tournament... 

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Littered is quite the exaggeration. Just look at this thread. The vast majority say they all use it. Two or three people come to mind that day they prefer the wave without it. 

I agree! Most people use the wedge and if they don't, it because they want to save gas. We always use our wedge when surfing except when teaching a beginner..I don't want the drag. But without it, it doesn't have the push you need to exceed.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

With a 2019 A22 with full ballast and and bags the wedge slows us down to where we cannot get to 11 mph, yes we are at 6000 elevation but have a high altitude prop, not sure what we can do to surf a better wave?

2 hours ago, ChefScott said:

With a 2019 A22 with full ballast and and bags the wedge slows us down to where we cannot get to 11 mph, yes we are at 6000 elevation but have a high altitude prop, not sure what we can do to surf a better wave?

Try adding more weight and don't use wedge.  My rpms are lower with a lot of weight and  no wedge than they are with less weight and wedge.

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2019 at 6:42 AM, granddaddy55 said:

On my small hull A20 no wedge = 1/2 push

on an A24 I have done no wedge snd full wedge and both were pushy 

seems to me power wedge 2 or 3  is the thing vs auto set wedge cause you can give yourself more or less wedge or none , 

At elevation or even sea level the pw2/3 with lift mode is a game changer fir getting a wakeboard load up on plane probably allowing you to run a lesser torque prop 

luv my auto set wedge both surfing and boarding though fir most it’s less needed in Wakeboarding due to most folks skill level , many with mad riding skills just heavy weight their boats and skip the wedge, 

All of this said it really comes down to do you plan to sell it?  If so then to me the pw3 is a no brainer just for market value of comparable year boats

if those who like wedge and not is 50/50, bet on the next guy wanting it

if you knew this was your last boat and you liked the auto set wedge and want to save money , order that and you won’t be disappointed , especially since your an inboard newbie like I was 

@granddaddy55 are you able to use the Auto Wedge when surfing? I thought it was only for wakboarding? Please let me know how you're setting it up to run during surfing

3 hours ago, Arbie44 said:

@granddaddy55 are you able to use the Auto Wedge when surfing? I thought it was only for wakboarding? Please let me know how you're setting it up to run during surfing

Yes for surfing snd wake boarding,  auto wedge or auto set wedge is the floating  wedge that only has all the way down as your only option

it has a second or lower hole for the stop bolts and nuts, the lower hole is more rear  drag  than the upper hole.  I recently changed to the more drag position and it’s better for surfing and riding 

33 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Yes for surfing snd wake boarding,  auto wedge or auto set wedge is the floating  wedge that only has all the way down as your only option

it has a second or lower hole for the stop bolts and nuts, the lower hole is more rear  drag  than the upper hole.  I recently changed to the more drag position and it’s better for surfing and riding 

@granddaddy55 Ohhh do you not have the power wedge?