Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
spinxt

What size box anchor?

spinxt

Finally going to cough up the cash for a box anchor.  What size do you think I need for a 20’ Response LXi?   

We boat mostly in a rock bottom river (with a 1-2mph current) and soft (mud) bottom lakes.  

formulaben
Posted (edited)

My home lake is mostly a muddy bottom so I have little experience with a current and rock bottom, so YMMV but other than that small is plenty good.  If you're not tying up with others you could probably do just fine with the "baby" size.  I've had 2 other boats attached to mine (as the sole anchor) and we held fine with the small, and with no anchor chain or excess rode, just an anchor buddy.

Edited by formulaben

Sixer

Small holds my 20' boat nicely.

oldjeep

Small works well with my VTX as well.  Our bottoms are mostly muck.  Depending on what you mean by rock, a box anchor may or may not work.

RyanB

I have a small.  I'd buy a baby if I were doing it again.  I don't ever do the tie ups though.

hawaiianstyln

small has held all my boats more than enough including a few boats that have tied up to me in the past

dalt1

Just as reference, Can some list and confirm physical size of Baby and small?  I think the small is right at 12" x 12" square when deployed right?

oldjeep
20 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Just as reference, Can some list and confirm physical size of Baby and small?  I think the small is right at 12" x 12" square when deployed right?

These are the collapsed sizes, so the baby is about 9" square, small 11" square, large 12.5" square

Baby Box Anchor - 14 Lbs - 18” L x 7” W x 4.5” H

Small Box Anchor - 21 Lbs - 22” L x 8.5” W x 5” H

Large Box Anchor - 26 Lbs - 25” L x 9.5” W x 6.5” H

Extra Large Box Anchor - 40 Lbs - 30” L x 11” W x 6.5” H

jwl019

I use the baby box anchor in my boat for when we are out and about.  Have tied up another boat and pontoon and it held fine in moderate conditions.   

I have the small box anchor that I take camping and tie my boat up right off the bank and leave it in the water overnight or when taking breaks during the day.  The small has held thru storms and rough conditions, the baby would probably work, but prefer the small since I  am usually a little ways from the boat.

vanamp

I have a small at the bottom of my lake....don't ask.  I will be replacing with a baby size but I don't tie up with other boats often and lake bottoms i frequent are pretty soft.