Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-Drive

Headhunter 2317

Since I am now BU-LESS, the shopping and research can begin for my upcoming V-drive purchase. The only problem I see is which one to get. Does anyone have recommendations as to why to purchase any of these models? I am all ears......

Hey Tony, how about some pictures of my old SLXI? It's been nearly a week!!!!

Edited by Headhunter 2317

What kind of water do you go out in? how many people go with you? what do you do behind the boat (keep it clean please) how much of a factor is $$$.

I really think the size of your crew will dictate VLX - LSV - or the 247.

We just wakeboard. Usually 5-7 people on the boat.

Always good water here. As for $, I am prepared to go to 60K or so.

Thanks for the detailed explination :unsure: ...

Do you have any size constraints.. storage, towing, etc..?

With a 5-7 person crew, I'd say LSV. If you prefer a little sporty'er boat.. if you can call it that, the VLX sure is a great size - though personally I like the little bit extra room, fuel tank size etc..

The 247 is pretty big, lots more boat to deal with, plus you'd probably be pushing your budget a bit more too.

Honestly - you gotta get out in them. They all feel different when you're on the water. Sorta like putting on new shoes and wearing them a little bit around the store. ;)

Thanks for the detailed explination :unsure: ...

Do you have any size constraints.. storage, towing, etc..?

With a 5-7 person crew, I'd say LSV. If you prefer a little sporty'er boat.. if you can call it that, the VLX sure is a great size - though personally I like the little bit extra room, fuel tank size etc..

The 247 is pretty big, lots more boat to deal with, plus you'd probably be pushing your budget a bit more too.

Honestly - you gotta get out in them. They all feel different when you're on the water. Sorta like putting on new shoes and wearing them a little bit around the store. ;)

Agreed, the LSV would be just about right. With that said, there is a difference in wake shape & style between the VLX, LSV & 247 so demo demo demo to see what you like the best.

With a regular crew of 5-7 the VLX will be big enough most of the time, although by the time you get everyone's gear, snacks, beverages, etc in the boat, you may feel crowded. We typically go out with 4 to 7 in the boat and have not had a problem with space. When you get more in the boat you just need to be more anal about how you manage where the gear goes - especially where everyone starts putting their stuff. The wake on the VLX and the LSV are a bit different from each other, but both are great in their own way, so get out there and have fun trying them out.

I'll go aganist the grain, I'm one of the few that went from an LSV back to a VLX.

I love my VLX compared to the LSV.

Low speed handling.

Easier to weight.

Low speed handling.

Feels more solid.

Low speed handling.

Really doesn't seat that many less.

Low speed handling.

Less to tow.

Etc. Etc.

Dontknow.gif

I'd say VLX, better resale market (at least where I live), and I really don't think the 23 feels that much bigger anymore compared to the new VLX, plus with a 23 you really have to start thinking upgrading to the hammerhead to get the performance out of that boat. I didn't see one new ordred 23 LSV this year, 20 or 25 VLX's though.

I have to say I was partial to Ken's boat. At least until the stereo got swamped...... Tease2.gif

By then all I could hear were the Tecates popping open in front of my face...... Beer.gif

I'll go aganist the grain, I'm one of the few that went from an LSV back to a VLX.

I love my VLX compared to the LSV.

Low speed handling.

Easier to weight.

Low speed handling.

Feels more solid.

Low speed handling.

Really doesn't seat that many less.

Low speed handling.

Less to tow.

Etc. Etc.

Dontknow.gif

In all fairness though, your LSV was on the older hull prior to 2003, the 2004+ LSV's are MUCH, MUCH better. I had the 03 LSV and going to an 04 LSV was night and day.

The difference between the new LSV & the new VLX for what the OP wants that I think the LSV gets the nod. It is just that much bigger that would make it a lot more comfortable with 7 aboard. Like OB said, by the time you figure gear & all of that, 7 gets a touch tight on the VLX. If it's a very occasional thing then VLX, if it's pretty frequent then LSV. The old LSV & new VLX are relatively comparable in feel, although the cabin is a touch longer in the LSV.

I'm already having dreams of creating my own color scheme or finding that beauty already at the boat show waiting for me....This has replaced p*** for me lately.......

Looks like a 23LSV will get it done.

VLX is easier to weight? The following seems pretty simple to me:

Kick a** wake = LSV + 4 flesh sacks + fill everything except the bow tank + drop the wedge

Big silly wake (1) = LSV + 4 flesh sacks + 750 sack in the middle of the boat + fill everything including the bow tank + drop the wedge

Big silly wake (2) = LSV + 8 flesh sacks + fill everything including the bow tank + drop the wedge

Its a scientific fact ROFL.gif

IMO... the LSV will never be too big or too small... where the VLX or 247 could easily fit into 1 each of the respective categories

VLX is easier to weight? The following seems pretty simple to me:

Kick a** wake = LSV + 4 flesh sacks + fill everything except the bow tank + drop the wedge

Big silly wake (1) = LSV + 4 flesh sacks + 750 sack in the middle of the boat + fill everything including the bow tank + drop the wedge

Big silly wake (2) = LSV + 8 flesh sacks + fill everything including the bow tank + drop the wedge

Its a scientific fact ROFL.gif

IMO... the LSV will never be too big or too small... where the VLX or 247 could easily fit into 1 each of the respective categories

Yes, it comes down to surface area. You can get a bigger wake on a VLX vs. the 23' with the same amount of weight. Also, the wakes between the 3 boats are much different, which is why I told the OP that he should demo to see what he likes the best. And yes, I've been in a 23' when it was too small for the amount of people that were on board. :)

WakeGirl,

I should know better than to argue with a woman... but here it goes :lol:

Surface area (length * beam) is a good common sense way of looking at it... but doesn't always hold true. Take the original Xstar-X2-X1 as a classic example of this. That boat requires a retarded amount of weight to make a decent size wake. The end result is full factory ballast, sacks everywhere and no storage... thats not cool! Certainly not the case in a Malibu :)

Any way... I do agree with getting behind and feeling out the wake. Every wake is different.

With respect to boat size... the typical sized crew (4-6) might be a bit cramped in a VLX but not in a LSV. Also... if you get the odd "dude" who brings everything and the kitchen sink with him... you can accomodate... at least until after the "acceptable amount of gear" conversation has taken place.

IMO... the LSV is the best wake around... perfect mix of transition and kick. That and the more weight you add the bigger, better and scarier it gets Shocking.gif