Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best GPS?

Sasquatch

I know a few if not many of you are using GPS units to calibrate and just plain read miles per hour on their Bu's. I would like to know what is the best, for the money, GPS unit to use for reading speed since the speedometer on my VLX never seems to work reliably. Mad.gif I've seen many units in catalogs from West Marine, Overton's, Bart's, etc.

Has Malibu ever thought about putting one of these in their boats?

Is there a round GPS meter which would replace the speedometer on my panel?

Would make a great Christmas gift!! Biggrin.gif

Thanks,

SAS

I got one at Target for $99. It doesn't have many fancy features or maps, but for reading speed (only reason I bought one) it is great for the money.

For a handheld, anything that says Garmin will do nicely. I've owned at least 6 units, marine and aviation. Their customer service is tops!!!

I made a suggestion to my dealer that he should get one for the shop and then calibrate every new boat with the buyer as part of the dealer prep. I think that would be a great service and great PR.

I don't know if he ever took my advice or not.

I know a few if not many of you are using GPS units to calibrate and just plain read miles per hour on their Bu's. I would like to know what is the best, for the money, GPS unit to use for reading speed since the speedometer on my VLX never seems to work reliably. Mad.gif I've seen many units in catalogs from West Marine, Overton's, Bart's, etc.

Has Malibu ever thought about putting one of these in their boats?

Is there a round GPS meter which would replace the speedometer on my panel?

Would make a great Christmas gift!! Biggrin.gif

Thanks,

SAS

I made a suggestion to my dealer that he should get one for the shop and then calibrate every new boat with the buyer as part of the dealer prep. I think that would be a great service and great PR.

I don't know if he ever took my advice or not.

There are a couple of folks here that have a gps speedo that look like they're stock! I would have gone that route if I knew it was offered. I received a catalog from www.livorsi.com and they offer a few different gps speedos.

Two problems.

First, the speedo would have to be calibrated at the intended speed, i.e. if Jr. want to wakeboard at 22 and a second calibration would have to be made for a skier who wants 34.

Second, water temp and current would play a factor. Bu' put a rocker switch for the speedo for a reason. ICBW, but different speeds require calibration. The best remedy would be an integrated gps into the speedo.

I'm still looking for info on the "Zero Off" gps cruise control that was used at Diablo Shores. It sounds like it may be the way things go in the not so distant future and solve many of our needs minus the finger gymnastics of PP.

• 2 weeks later...

E-Trex legend has been awesome! I had a Magellan and paid more bucks for the extras like air temp, barometer, altimeter. None of which worked worth a crap. I took it back after a few weeks and got the Garmin. It is a nice size to squeeze inbetween the glass and the top of the dash right in plain view where it is easy to read.

Ditto the stuff about calibrating at different speeds.

I just picked up a 496 for aviation and also got the marine database. It is an awesome unit. Does just about anything you could think of and then add on top of that the satellite radio and weather downlink are just awesome. It is pricey but Garmin does make a great product. This is my third Garmin handheld

Little late on the discussion, but every GPS I have ever seen is NOT accurate real time. I have and LOVE my Garmin 60CSX but it is always about 1 second lag, so would you not struggle with that on a boat, if you were using it as your sole speedo?

Case and point: I used my Garmin to try to maintain speed on my I/O since the pito speedo sucked wank, and I could feel the boat slowing and hear the rpm change and it would be a solid second or so before the GPS would indicate a change.

Just my late $.02/worth,

Scott

Yikies!!!!! $500 for a speedo?

I use a Garmin 76C and also purchased a cradle and mounting hardware from Ram Mounts. I use mine to calibrate speed and mark hazards and anchor locations of my slalom course. Makes it much easier to install the course in the spring and mark the lake hazards. My GPS is hardwired into the system and is on all of the time. I rely on it for the speed more than anything else when I am not using Perfect Pass.