Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Bogan

Perfect Pass shut down engine

Recommended Posts

Bogan

Crew,

 

I purchased a 2004 Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV (Monsoon 340) used and this was the first weekend we were able to take it out.  The boat started right up without issue and we went for about an hour ride.  The Perfect Pass was working fine.  I was using it to reference speed but was not using the "crusie control" function at all.   We brought the boat back to the house for lunch.  I shut off the battery switch at the end of every use.  We then take it out again and once it is started up, the Perfect Pass keeps beeping for no reason.  The screen is switching modes, blacking out, and then turning back on without anyone touching it.  I did notice the entire time that the voltage meter was bouncing around 9-11 volts while the Perfect pass was malfunctioning.  We were not pulling anyone and decided to drive a bit.  I was cruising along at 25 mph when the screen shuts off, turns back on and then the boat immediately shuts down.  The engine is shut down and will not restart.  The battery still have plenty of charge and will turn the motor over but the engine will not start.  The boat was towed back to the boat slip and we wrangled it onto the lift.

I turned off the batteries and let it sit for about 45 minutes.  I then switched the batteries back on and attempted to start the engine.  The engine would turn over and attempt to start but would not run for more than 2 seconds.  The entire time the Perfect Pass is beeping and showing a blank screen.  The screen is blank but lit up.  I confirmed there is fuel in the tank and everything was working fine until the Perfect Pass lost its mind.  

Please let me know if you have any ideas or help that could help me get my boat back on the water.

Thanks,

Bogan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep

Sounds like a loose ground wire somewhere in the system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mackie12

I am not seeing the correlation between the P/P and motor not running. there is nothing that I am aware of in the P/P system that will not let the boat start. Pull the power supply for the P/P and see what it does.  Also, feel free to contact Perfect Pass for help as they have one of the best customer service' I have seen in a long time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
16 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

I am not seeing the correlation between the P/P and motor not running. there is nothing that I am aware of in the P/P system that will not let the boat start. Pull the power supply for the P/P and see what it does.  Also, feel free to contact Perfect Pass for help as they have one of the best customer service' I have seen in a long time!

Pp is very ground sensitive, pp issues usually point to grounding issues on the boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnmarker

I'm with @mackie12 in that a 2004 boat will have the mechanical PP system and should not effect the boat at idle/start at all. Perhaps the starting issue and the PP issue are not related - or are both caused by a low battery?  But why would it start and then stop because of a low battery?  Mystery?

OP, you can easily unplug the PP servo in the engine compartment and unwind/disconnect the pull cord if necessary so it will have no impact on the butterfly valve.  See how the boat runs then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rednucleus

I also think bad ground or even loose wire shorting somewhere causing both PP malfunction & no start issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bogan

Thanks for the help.  I am going to contact Perfect pass this afternoon.  I have heard they have good customer service.  The wierd part of a bad ground is that the Perfect pass is lighting up and beeping so it has power, but the engine will not start.  The batteries have plenty of power to turn over the engine.  the engine starts and then immediately shuts down like it is starved for fuel.  The fuel tank is full and the boat ran without an issue the entire morning.  It was only when the Perfect pass acted up that the engine would not run... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
2 minutes ago, Bogan said:

Thanks for the help.  I am going to contact Perfect pass this afternoon.  I have heard they have good customer service.  The wierd part of a bad ground is that the Perfect pass is lighting up and beeping so it has power, but the engine will not start.  The batteries have plenty of power to turn over the engine.  the engine starts and then immediately shuts down like it is starved for fuel.  The fuel tank is full and the boat ran without an issue the entire morning.  It was only when the Perfect pass acted up that the engine would not run... 

Before you call perfect pass, lay down with your head under the steering when and look for a ground bus bar.  Make sure all the connections there are tight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve B.

Sounds like a lanyard issue as far as starting?

Steve B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bogan

I pulled the lanyard and re-installed without success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregtay
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Before you call perfect pass, lay down with your head under the steering when and look for a ground bus bar.  Make sure all the connections there are tight.

I'd check the connections at the battery as well. Maybe they didn't get tighened all the way after the winter.  I tend to agree with everyone else that PP is likely just being impacted by the issue byt is not the root cause (and making a lot of noise to you think that is the problem.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mackie12
13 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I'd check the connections at the battery as well. Maybe they didn't get tighened all the way after the winter.  I tend to agree with everyone else that PP is likely just being impacted by the issue byt is not the root cause (and making a lot of noise to you think that is the problem.)

this would cause both issues he is having, boat not starting/running and P/P issues (Ground). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
9 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

this would cause both issues he is having, boat not starting/running and P/P issues (Ground). 

Although the fact that the boat turns over indicates that the starter has a good ground.  Won't hurt to check, but it seems unlikely that the connection with an issue is at the battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bogan
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Although the fact that the boat turns over indicates that the starter has a good ground.  Won't hurt to check, but it seems unlikely that the connection with an issue is at the battery.

I agree.  Every other electrical component on the boat works as designed and the battery connections are tight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DonT

One other area to check - Alternator output.  If the alternator is not putting out the necessary voltage, PP will keep "resetting" as you are currently seeing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bogan

I'll add this to my list of things to check this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bogan

Update:  I was finally able to get to the lake and check the boat this weekend.  I did everything that was suggested and still had no luck.  On closer inspection, one of the electrical connectors to a terminal to the fuel pump had broken and disconnected.  I installed a new connector and she fired right up.  Thanks for all the help and support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mackie12
Posted (edited)

piggybacking off that, why do our boats not have fuel pressure gauges installed from factory? On my Sportster I installed one as they are a great tool in diagnosing problems.

Edited by mackie12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UWSkier

Interesting that that would cause your PP to freak out, unless the broken connection was shorting to ground.

If you still experience weirdness in the future around this, check the key switch.  The PP positive wire and the lanyard circuit (purple wire) share a post on the keyswitch.  If that's loose or those connections in the switch are faulty, it could cause both your PP to freak out and your boat not to start (but crank and crank and crank).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...