Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Balancing the Hull/Wake RLX

VinRLX

My crew invariably outweighs the driver. Compounding the issue is the battery (what does it weigh, 40 pounds?), outboard port side. This causes the hull to list port, which is an undesirable driving position, creates an unbalanced slalom wake, and produces more spray for the boom (yeah, I know, it's not mounted on the driver's side). Let's say my driver weighs 100, the center passenger is negligible (although this position is actually slightly to port), and the outside passenger weighs 180. Add ~40 for the battery and now there's 120# more on one side than the other.

I'm thinking about moving the battery or adding lead/metal weight to the driver's side. Anybody do this or have thoughts on the issue? Also, where is the battery mounted on the RLXi?

Oh yeah, I'd ask my driver to pack on a few pounds, but that might diminish the enjoyment in other aspects of my life. :)

The battery on my Rlxi is mounted in the port side console behind the observers seat. It is mounted as close to the center of the boat as possible.

You could try to put the heavier of you observers in the center position to help distribute weight as evenly as possible. I thought they put the battery on the port side to make up for the normal list you would get from prop rotation.

I had the same problem with our 1990 Supra, but on the starboard side. Tried adding weight under the observer dash storage area but it didn't really help that much. I know it would be nice to have the weights hidden, but I would try putting it behind the driver. If the cables are long enought I would move the battery in the center too.

Edited by onamission

Add the weight Jack, no worries. I usually have the opposite problem in that my friends that drive are as fat as I am. Try adding the weight forward, it might help the wake too.

Peter

A driver, two observers, and a skier? :unsure: You got one too many people in your boat. Yes.gif

Leave one observer on the dock with a hot cup of coffee or a cold beer. Biggrin.gif

A driver, two observers, and a skier? :unsure: You got one too many people in your boat. Yes.gif

Leave one observer on the dock with a hot cup of coffee or a cold beer. Biggrin.gif

Yeah, yeah, yeah. There's room for two, so why not use the seat? I'd leave the middle observer on the dock as you suggest, but he's four and I'm afraid Social Services wouldn't think too highly of it. Smart a$$. Tomato.gif

Yeah, yeah, yeah. There's room for two, so why not use the seat? I'd leave the middle observer on the dock as you suggest, but he's four and I'm afraid Social Services wouldn't think too highly of it. Smart a$$. Tomato.gif
Then what's the problem, knucklehead? Put the 180 # observer in the middle, put the kid on the outside. The kid and the battery will weigh about the same as your driver. Sheesh...you got brain freeze already? Tongue.gif

or throw your 180# observer in the back seat on the Starboard...

just tell him/her not to worry, that the spray will stop when the boat stops :lol:

Then what's the problem, knucklehead? Put the 180 # observer in the middle, put the kid on the outside. The kid and the battery will weigh about the same as your driver. Sheesh...you got brain freeze already? Tongue.gif

Brain freeze? What would you know about having a brain? The boy is safest in the middle and there is more leg room for the 180 on the outside. I'm not looking for the obvious answers here, I'm looking for inventive, long-term ideas. Don't be a nozzle (to coin a phrase). Whistling.gif

or throw your 180# observer in the back seat on the Starboard...

just tell him/her not to worry, that the spray will stop when the boat stops :lol:

:lol: Yeah, I do that when possible and using the boom. Doesn't work so well with the slalom line going back and forth unless I suggest a game of duck-duck-goose. Or clothesline the MIL. Shocking.gif

Then what's the problem, knucklehead? Put the 180 # observer in the middle, put the kid on the outside. The kid and the battery will weigh about the same as your driver. Sheesh...you got brain freeze already?
Brain freeze? What would you know about having a brain? The boy is safest in the middle and there is more leg room for the 180 on the outside. I'm not looking for the obvious answers here, I'm looking for inventive, long-term ideas. Don't be a nozzle (to coin a phrase).

You better be nice or I'll tell your MIL that you posted on the internet that she weighs 180 lbs...And whether it's accurate or not, she'll Bash.gif you. :lol:

...or throw your 180# observer in the back seat...
...clothesline the MIL.
Then what's the problem, knucklehead? Put the 180 # observer in the middle, put the kid on the outside. The kid and the battery will weigh about the same as your driver. Sheesh...you got brain freeze already?
Brain freeze? What would you know about having a brain? The boy is safest in the middle and there is more leg room for the 180 on the outside. I'm not looking for the obvious answers here, I'm looking for inventive, long-term ideas. Don't be a nozzle (to coin a phrase).

You better be nice or I'll tell your MIL that you posted on the internet that she weighs 180 lbs...And whether it's accurate or not, she'll Bash.gif you. :lol:

...or throw your 180# observer in the back seat...
...clothesline the MIL.

180 # MIL? You got a light one.

Just a few ideas....

~ How about a jump seat behind the driver's seat? You could put the boy there & he'd be very safe tucked in that spot - he'd probably really like it too. When we had our DD boats, we talked a few times about getting a jump seat & my 2 boys would fight over just the thought of getting to sit there. :lol:

~ I'd explore the possibility of moving the battery to the area just in front of the kick plate. I don't know if there's room, but there may be for a battery that doesn't require a box such as an Optima. If you find that you have the room, an auto electrical shop can splice/solder the battery cables to extend them long enough to reach.

~ You could add weight up in front of the driver's kick plate. A few of us ballast-happy people use "pop bags" that are full of rubber-coated lead pieces. They come in relatively small 50 lb bags & make it easy to move weight around. You have to place a rather large order though, so you might want to find someone to go in on it with you, or find another similar product locally.

Thanks, Tracie. We do put my son behind the driver's seat on occasion and he loves it. No real need for the jump seat--he usually sacks out on whatever vests are laying there. :) Still, he and the driver are usually outweighed by the crew and battery.

I think I may look into moving the battery in the spring. Or, as you and Peter have suggested, putting weight behind the kick plate. Where do you buy/order the "pop bags" and how large an order do you mean?

LINK

For what you need, I'd try to find a local dealer unless you can find someone that will share an order with you since you don't need that much (or maybe calling them to find out about purchasing just a couple bags). I would think that moving the battery would accomplish most of what you need & that would necessitate using less added weight to really fine tune it.

Yeah, or Bimart carries bags of shot pretty cheap that would fit the bill. They rust though, so you'd need to seal them up good.
The "dive shop" versions are stainless steel shot. :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Even you, Michael. In fact, I'll check a dive shop next time I'm in the city. Basically, I guess I've been too lazy to move the battery. Maybe I'll start by moving that under/in front of the heater, then have a bit of weight that I can plunk behind the driver's kick plate.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Even you, Michael. In fact, I'll check a dive shop next time I'm in the city. Basically, I guess I've been too lazy to move the battery. Maybe I'll start by moving that under/in front of the heater, then have a bit of weight that I can plunk behind the driver's kick plate.
Yahoo.gif That had to be hard to type. ROFL.gif

Good luck getting it dialied in buddy. :)

I have the same problem, but on the other side. My '98 RLX tilts to starboard. Yes, I know it's due to the "paddlewheel" effect of the prop rotation. With 1 observer, I'm tilted. Uneven wake. Battery is actually just right of centre. I want to move to the left side. Hence, I need longer cables.

Adding an electrical splice isn't the greatest idea with the high amps (starter mainly) carried in those large cables. I also have lots of stuff stored under the deck.

So..... I think I need to replace the cables with longer ones. I was under the dash yesterday. They leave the battery and disappear under the floor heading toward the rear of the boat. I assume they are heading to the starter motor, then some kind of junction box to feed all the other electrical junk.

QUESTION: Before I start pulling panels off: Has anybody actually found the cable routing? Have they replaced their cables with longer/shorter ones? Any advice?

PS: I'm a skier... not a Boarder. Adding weight is not an option. (Shifting weight is ok)

Wouldn't the LH rotation of the prop cause the starboard side to lift? LH rotation being counter-clockwise if looking at the prop from behind the boat.