Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
gregtay

Unwrapping the new Bu: Observations and questions

Recommended Posts

Chappy

Looks great, nice work and congrats!  See you on Lake Chelan this summer:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregtay
1 minute ago, Chappy said:

Looks great, nice work and congrats!  See you on Lake Chelan this summer:biggrin:

Absolutly! We can't wait to get the boat over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skymedic

Beautiful!! Love the colors!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hemmy

@gregtay Beautiful boat and a couple new coolers. Tough birthday to beat.  Congratulations on everything and happy birthday!  Now fill those coolers up with beer and crack a cold one to celebrate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UWSkier

Nice!  Interesting about the voltage.  Wonder if there was a running change.  Was that 14.2 with the heated seat and heater on or off?  Those things pull a fair bit of juice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregtay
21 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

@gregtay Beautiful boat and a couple new coolers. Tough birthday to beat.  Congratulations on everything and happy birthday!  Now fill those coolers up with beer and crack a cold one to celebrate.

Thanks :)  Yes.. pretty awesome birthday week :)  Very ready to fill up those coolers with beer!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregtay
21 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Nice!  Interesting about the voltage.  Wonder if there was a running change.  Was that 14.2 with the heated seat and heater on or off?  Those things pull a fair bit of juice.

I don't think we had turned anything on at that point.  I took note of the voltage a few different times in our 15 mins out on the water and it showed 14.2 each time I looked.  Once I get the boat in my hands (next week) I will keep an eye on it.  Maybe Malibu just reprogrammed it to show a max of 14.2v to stop people from reporting the 15v issue :-O ha ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wdr

Beautiful boat. Yours would be the only boat I have seen so far at 14v. Make sure the dealership checks the heater hose clearances and mounting bolts. I was missing one bolt and the other wasn’t even hand tight. I found the missing nut/bolt in the bilge. The hoses were dangerously close to the raw water pulley. My dripless shaft seal rubber water line was crimped under the raw water hose. The built up pressure was making some god awful squealing noise, at least I hope that was the cause. Rerouted it and the noise disappeared. The aft end of the main battery + cable at the rear distro block near the starter wasn’t even hand tight. The battery charger head was seated too shallow in the housing, so that had to adjust that as well. Was missing the walk through wind block cover also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregtay
9 minutes ago, wdr said:

Beautiful boat. Yours would be the only boat I have seen so far at 14v. Make sure the dealership checks the heater hose clearances and mounting bolts. I was missing one bolt and the other wasn’t even hand tight. I found the missing nut/bolt in the bilge. The hoses were dangerously close to the raw water pulley. My dripless shaft seal rubber water line was crimped under the raw water hose. The built up pressure was making some god awful squealing noise, at least I hope that was the cause. Rerouted it and the noise disappeared. The aft end of the main battery + cable at the rear distro block near the starter wasn’t even hand tight. The battery charger head was seated too shallow in the housing, so that had to adjust that as well. Was missing the walk through wind block cover also.

Thanks, I will make sure they check each of those things.  They also had a list of things they wanted to check based on "things they have found on other new M6 equipped boats."  I can't remember all he said he was going to check but I know that he did find that a few things on my boat were "resolved" vs. earlier builds with that motor (he noticed they changed something (for the good) that he had found wrong on other boats.)

The other interesting thing he commented on is that the coolant system seemed to have "burped".. once before we started it (there was fresh coolant somewhere on the motor and he figure it was from when they ran it at the factory) and then again after we had it out it apparently had "burped" again.  Not exactly sure what he was referring to or where the coolant was coming from (overflow?) as it didn't seem to be leaking anywhere. He mentioned the issue with air in the coolant system (maybe from the heater install) which I know others had mentioned.  Temp was fine while we ran her so no issue, but he was going to do more checking.  The tech  mentioned on a few boats the line to the heater was way too long and that caused some issues with air getting trapped and the line needed to be shortened (they were just lazy at the factory and didn't bother to cut it to the right length.)  So we will see what he finds out after they dig into this week.  The good news is that the guys at Seattle Boat seriously know their stuff and the boat/motor and what these things need from the factory to ensure there are no issues after delivery. That was very reassuring!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE

@gregtay, open your glove box; there’s a third wireless charging pad in there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregtay
2 minutes ago, IXFE said:

@gregtay, open your glove box; there’s a third wireless charging pad in there 

Sweet!!! Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kayt425

Beautiful boat!!  I love the look of the new tower.  That thing looks mean.  Congrats on the new boat!  M6 in the 23 i heard from several people is a monster!  And at sea level you will have power for days!  Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

Nice boat and congratulations!

I have to ask though, were you cruising with the wedge in lift? And what prop did you order? Seems like high RPMs for a big motor cruising at 25mph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TenTwentyOne
11 hours ago, gregtay said:

 

  1. The M6di really fills the engine compartment :-O.  We ran it on the hose and it was indeed quiet even out of the water with the exhaust blubbing. It was so quiet that their tech was trying to figure out what the "funny noise was" only to realize it was just the sound of belts and pullies because the motor itself was so quiet that it didn't make any noise.  It was also very quiet on the water. 

 

         I’m betting the “funny noise” was actually the high pressure fueling system. It sounds like a belt/pulley chirp, but it isn’t. It is a mildly annoying noise that all the DI6.2s have. I have even gone so far as removing the belt entirely to make sure it wasn’t something in the accessory drive. The noise was still there.

         One of two things will happen- Either you’ll get used to it, and not pay any attention to it, because it’s not really a loud noise. Or, your OCD will not allow you to ignore it, and you will hear it whenever you are idling along, and it will annoy you every time.

        The good news is, they only have that light chirp noise at idle. It goes away above 1000rpm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rsutton1223
Posted (edited)

Congrats on the new boat! Glad to see you went with the fold down swim step. Even after just a couple of trips out with ours...it is a definite must have option. I think there are going to be a lot of people that are going to really wish they checked that box and didn't in the future. You don't really get it until you have one. 

On the wireless charging...what how hot your phone gets. I find that I end up pulling it away a little bit from the pad a lot with my iPhone because it heats up so bad. 

Edited by rsutton1223

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23LSVOwner
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, IXFE said:

@gregtay, open your glove box; there’s a third wireless charging pad in there 

Only on the 25 unless something has changed.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bbattiste247
2 hours ago, rsutton1223 said:

Congrats on the new boat! Glad to see you went with the fold down swim step. Even after just a couple of trips out with ours...it is a definite must have option. I think there are going to be a lot of people that are going to really wish they checked that box and didn't in the future. You don't really get it until you have one. 

On the wireless charging...what how hot your phone gets. I find that I end up pulling it away a little bit from the pad a lot with my iPhone because it heats up so bad. 

I didn't get the swim step and we have been out numerous times and we don't seem to wish we had it. My thinking was that I would constantly have to stop the boat and go back myself to put the swim step up. No matter how many reminders I give, the teenagers are not going to put it up before someone surfs, plus it was nearly 2% of the price of the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregtay
9 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

I didn't get the swim step and we have been out numerous times and we don't seem to wish we had it. My thinking was that I would constantly have to stop the boat and go back myself to put the swim step up. No matter how many reminders I give, the teenagers are not going to put it up before someone surfs, plus it was nearly 2% of the price of the boat.

If my kids were older I would have had a very hard time checking the box but in my case I have a 4yo and 7yo and for the next few years I think they will really love having the step when we float around and swim (which we do a lot.)  I also took into consideration my mom and my inlaws who are getting up there in age and struggled a bit getting on the swim platform.  My mom saw that step and said "you have to get that... I will pay for it!"  (and no, i didn't let her pay for it!) I think the standard platform look s a little better but the functionality of the flip down platform should serve us well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregtay
20 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Only on the 25 unless something has changed.

oh well :) Not sure how much I would use one in the glove box but the little cubbie is going to be handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregtay
4 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Nice boat and congratulations!

I have to ask though, were you cruising with the wedge in lift? And what prop did you order? Seems like high RPMs for a big motor cruising at 25mph.

The boat was spec'ed with a 2277 prop.  Not sure what was going on the moment I took the photo, I might have added some throttle and was accelerating when I grabbed my phone and took the photo.  There was a reason I took the photo at that moment (I was trying to capture something... but now I can't remember what!)  I agree just looking at the numbers the rpm seems high for that speed.  Once I get the boat I will do a bit more testing.  As part of the test cycle he did have me open the throttle for about 15 seconds to record the top speed and we got up to about 42-43 which seemed about right (any higher and I would question if I had the right prop.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
14 minutes ago, gregtay said:

The boat was spec'ed with a 2277 prop.  Not sure what was going on the moment I took the photo, I might have added some throttle and was accelerating when I grabbed my phone and took the photo.  There was a reason I took the photo at that moment (I was trying to capture something... but now I can't remember what!)  I agree just looking at the numbers the rpm seems high for that speed.  Once I get the boat I will do a bit more testing.  As part of the test cycle he did have me open the throttle for about 15 seconds to record the top speed and we got up to about 42-43 which seemed about right (any higher and I would question if I had the right prop.)

Haha no worries, just something that grabbed my eye. 2277 would be the prop I started with too. I think you posted that picture for the voltage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UWSkier
45 minutes ago, gregtay said:

The boat was spec'ed with a 2277 prop.  Not sure what was going on the moment I took the photo, I might have added some throttle and was accelerating when I grabbed my phone and took the photo.  There was a reason I took the photo at that moment (I was trying to capture something... but now I can't remember what!)  I agree just looking at the numbers the rpm seems high for that speed.  Once I get the boat I will do a bit more testing.  As part of the test cycle he did have me open the throttle for about 15 seconds to record the top speed and we got up to about 42-43 which seemed about right (any higher and I would question if I had the right prop.)

Plausible given set speed says 21 and actual says 25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pnwrider
17 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Plausible given set speed says 21 and actual says 25

Cruise is turned off in that photo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...