Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

monsoon engine mods

05 response

Does anyone know of any engine modifications for the monsoon? I have a 05 Response and switched the factory prop for a cutter 4 blade 13 13 1/2, but I still can't get more than 45 out of it. I was told that out of the box it should top out over 50. We do a lot of footing and I don't want to always be running at WOT, so if anyone has any prop, or engine modifications that might help please pass them my way!

This is my first Malibu (lived and died correct craft, till this year) and other than wanting a little more top end, this boat ROCKS!!!

Does anyone know of any engine modifications for the monsoon? I have a 05 Response and switched the factory prop for a cutter 4 blade 13 13 1/2, but I still can't get more than 45 out of it. I was told that out of the box it should top out over 50. We do a lot of footing and I don't want to always be running at WOT, so if anyone has any prop, or engine modifications that might help please pass them my way!

This is my first Malibu (lived and died correct craft, till this year) and other than wanting a little more top end, this boat ROCKS!!!

Welcome to this site and the Malibu family!!! As for more power you can do a search for some ideas, but other then a complete overhaul or super charger there isn't much you can do. You can chnge the prop pitch to get more top end but you will lose it down low.

Is that measured via GPS? Your speedo's may not be accurate. My sporty with a 310 carbie does 53 with a 13 X 14 4 blade and 49.5 with a 13 X 12 CNC'd 3 blade.

Is that measured via GPS? Your speedo's may not be accurate. My sporty with a 310 carbie does 53 with a 13 X 14 4 blade and 49.5 with a 13 X 12 CNC'd 3 blade.

I agree. My 05 Response does 47 on GPS at full throttle with the stock prop and a family of 4 and a full tank of fuel. Your speedo might just need to be adjusted.

I was told that out of the box it should top out over 50.

You were told wrong. Is your Response CB, LX, or LXi?

I'm with the others, you need to check your speedo against a GPS. My speedo reads 45, WOT, but tops out about 47 with stock ACME CNC NiBrAl 13x12 3 blade. I have the gauge calibrated for 34 MPH because that's where I need the accuracy of speed. It is NOT then accurate in the mid-low twenties or mid-upper forties.

Why did you go to the Cutter 4 blade 13x13 1/2? I'm not up on props specifically for footing, but a 4 blade giving you more traction will also not be as fast on the top end. The 3 blades from OJ and ACME now give you the surface area of a 4 blade while utilizing only 3.

I would be very interested in your impressions comparing these two props. Have you run both enough to feel the difference in holeshot? Buy or borrow a GPS and it would be informative to know WOT MPH and RPM. I'm thinking you may not be at the top of your RPM range with the Cutter, BICBW.

I agree on 47 mph on GPS. Have two friends with RLXs ... they both top out at 47 with the factory prop.

A 4 blade will cause you to loose 1 - 2 mph off your top end with better holding at slalom speeds.

/Steve

I agree on 47 mph on GPS. Have two friends with RLXs ... they both top out at 47 with the factory prop.

A 4 blade will cause you to loose 1 - 2 mph off your top end with better holding at slalom speeds.

/Steve

Our Response CB with the 320LCR engine tops out @ 47.4 mph/4850 rpm.

Acme CNC 3-Blade 449 (13x12.625 IIRC).

Edited by Chaabo

My 05 Response LXI with 340 Monsoon, stock prop tops out at 47-48. Check your speedo's. We do alot of footin too, and don't run at WOT. Not sure who told you 50mph, but they are wrong. The specs form a 2005 Malibu brochure on this boat say 47mph with th Monsoon

For a couple hundred $ You could try some longer ratio rockers 1:6 ratio on the exhaust side( small chevys need help on the exh. side) or both intake and exh. You might pull some more HP/TQ and 1 or 2 MHP for not a whole lot of hassle or ca$h.

No thats not on GPS, but my perfect pass times are ok at all speeds (measured with the magnets) and I can tell that I'm not doing much more than 42-43 when I'm footing, but I will double check on gps.

Thanks,

The water was 59 today, almost time for the dry suit!

I was told that out of the box it should top out over 50.

You were told wrong. Is your Response CB, LX, or LXi?

I'm with the others, you need to check your speedo against a GPS. My speedo reads 45, WOT, but tops out about 47 with stock ACME CNC NiBrAl 13x12 3 blade. I have the gauge calibrated for 34 MPH because that's where I need the accuracy of speed. It is NOT then accurate in the mid-low twenties or mid-upper forties.

Why did you go to the Cutter 4 blade 13x13 1/2? I'm not up on props specifically for footing, but a 4 blade giving you more traction will also not be as fast on the top end. The 3 blades from OJ and ACME now give you the surface area of a 4 blade while utilizing only 3.

I would be very interested in your impressions comparing these two props. Have you run both enough to feel the difference in holeshot? Buy or borrow a GPS and it would be informative to know WOT MPH and RPM. I'm thinking you may not be at the top of your RPM range with the Cutter, BICBW.

I have a closed bow and the reason why I switched was the dealer thought that might get the boat to come out of the hole better and also give a little more top end. I actually feel the boat is slower out of the hole and there is no top end gain. The one thing I do notice is a significant increase in how much fuel it burns. I always had 4 blades on the nautique, so it just seemed natural to go back that way. I also seem to get more vibration with the 4 blade.

You are losing top end speed with a 4bl prop. Tom Sawyer might be able to help a bit on this as he had a RLX that he primarily footed with, believe he ended up with an ACME 13x12.625 that bumped his top end yet kept it decent all the way around.

I'd try a difft prop, probably the 3 bl ACME mentioned above. The Response w. 340 Monsoon should be one of the fastest out of the hole boats you can get...sounds like the Cutter isn't all it was cut up to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Loose the 4 blade. Your Nautank had one because it probably had a redux tranny. If you are set on a 4 bld, you probably need to decrease pitch. That boat came with less than a X 13 pitch 3 blade with less surface area. More blades = more surface area = more drag