Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Wobbly Seat?

I actually pulled the carpeted divider on the "L" brackets to access the ones on the back side of the mount. And you can access the front pair by going through the deck plate hole straight to them with your left arm no problem.

Edited by wdr
cl
17 minutes ago, wdr said:

I actually pulled the carpeted divider on the "L" brackets to access the ones on the back side of the mount. And you can access the front pair by going through the deck plate hole straight to them with your left arm no problem.

Thanks for the info.  I'll pull mine and replace just as a precaution then.  

13 minutes ago, wdr said:

@ german88, I see you are sporting the KTM logo on your avatar. That brings back fond memories of my DKW, PENTON and SACHs riding days.

Indeed!  I grew up in the 70's and 80's with 3 older brothers who rode.   We owned many Husk's, Maico's, Bultaco's and then finally dove into the Jap bikes once they took over.  Had a long layoff due to raising a family and lack of riding areas where I was living at the time.  Moved to the Inland PNW and discovered the best single track riding on the planet is right in my backyard.  Never really liked the 4 stroke bikes having grown up with 2 strokes so KTM was the only readily available choice.  The new TPI injected 2 strokes KTM are producing are amazing machines.  Hoping I can keep at it well into my 60's.  

16 hours ago, german88 said:

Indeed!  I grew up in the 70's and 80's with 3 older brothers who rode.   We owned many Husk's, Maico's, Bultaco's and then finally dove into the Jap bikes once they took over.  Had a long layoff due to raising a family and lack of riding areas where I was living at the time.  Moved to the Inland PNW and discovered the best single track riding on the planet is right in my backyard.  Never really liked the 4 stroke bikes having grown up with 2 strokes so KTM was the only readily available choice.  The new TPI injected 2 strokes KTM are producing are amazing machines.  Hoping I can keep at it well into my 60's.  

What are you riding?

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

What are you riding?

2020 KTM 250 XCW TPI which replaced an 18 non TPI 250 XCW.  Loved both but the 20 has quite a few improvements that are great to have. Do you ride?

4 minutes ago, german88 said:

2020 KTM 250 XCW TPI which replaced an 18 non TPI 250 XCW.  Loved both but the 20 has quite a few improvements that are great to have. Do you ride?

I do.  I've always wanted a KTM, too.  I've been a Honda rider for most of my life.  Right now I have an old XR 400 that's just too damn heavy.  It spends most of its time in the shed and when I do ride, I have few people left to ride with.  Kids are showing interest, so perhaps that changes soon.  The issue for us though is we have 3 boats, 2 on one lake and one an another so finding time in good weather to ride is difficult because we spend so much time on the water.  I don't even spend much time on my bagger anymore either. 

1 minute ago, Slayer said:

I do.  I've always wanted a KTM, too.  I've been a Honda rider for most of my life.  Right now I have an old XR 400 that's just too damn heavy.  It spends most of its time in the shed and when I do ride, I have few people left to ride with.  Kids are showing interest, so perhaps that changes soon.  The issue for us though is we have 3 boats, 2 on one lake and one an another so finding time in good weather to ride is difficult because we spend so much time on the water.  I don't even spend much time on my bagger anymore either. 

I hear ya on finding the time.  My son is 13 and he rides with me (KTM 105 big wheel kit).  We try to get out once per week during the season which for us is May/late Oct early Nov) and only on weekdays. Those old XR's are great bikes but you'll be amazed at the new bikes especially KTM/Husky/GasGas.  Now all under one umbrella.

2 hours ago, german88 said:

I hear ya on finding the time.  My son is 13 and he rides with me (KTM 105 big wheel kit).  We try to get out once per week during the season which for us is May/late Oct early Nov) and only on weekdays. Those old XR's are great bikes but you'll be amazed at the new bikes especially KTM/Husky/GasGas.  Now all under one umbrella.

I know.  A good friend has a Husky 300 that he loves.  He's a bigger dude and said it's a monster of a bike.  My last bike, sold after my kids were just born, was a Honda CRF 450.  That was a great bike, but I'm extremely interested in the modern 2 strokes.  

10 hours ago, Molarroller said:

I have a a lot of wobble in my seat as well.  How difficult is it to take apart these seats to fix the issue on your own? 

If its a power lift and like mine was, you are not fixing it unless you can Tig weld aluminum.image.thumb.png.48b7753f2bc37c10dbf4603df0d4ae71.png

17 hours ago, Molarroller said:

I have a a lot of wobble in my seat as well.  How difficult is it to take apart these seats to fix the issue on your own? 

Like wdr said it’s pretty basic. I think the majority of the wobble is in the round disc which sets the tension for seat rotation. All 4 of mine were completely loose. I opted to use taller locknuts for more thread engagement.  Pic below is with the original thinner locknuts. The whole assembly is under engineered IMHO. I’m sure it will have to be re torque’d occasionally. 

B1D5BFD9-9738-4802-9B1F-04563E7007B6.png

• 5 months later...
On 1/7/2021 at 5:09 PM, dalt1 said:

If its a power lift and like mine was, you are not fixing it unless you can Tig weld aluminum.image.thumb.png.48b7753f2bc37c10dbf4603df0d4ae71.png

Was told the replacements were stronger. Time will tell.