Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5di vs M6di in a 23LSV

gregtay

2 hours ago, Murphy8166 said:

Straight from GM....

A 2019 Silverado with the 5.3L is rated 17 MPG City , 23 MPG Highway and 19 MPG Combined. The 2019 6.2L is rated at 16 MPG City, 20 MPG Highway, and 17 MPG Combined

That's nice.  Real world numbers prove otherwise.  Check out the GM truck forums...many owners of both motors back up my statement.  

46 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

That's nice.  Real world numbers prove otherwise.  Check out the GM truck forums...many owners of both motors back up my statement.  

Forum guys are a bunch of kooks, 

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

www.fuelly.com says otherwise... 

Here’s a few data points:

——————————————————

2018 Silverado 5.3L - 16.38 mpg (960k miles)

2018 Silverado 6.2L - 15.1 mpg (40k miles)

——————————————————

2017 Silverado 5.3L - 16.31 mpg (2.2m miles)

2017 Silverado 6.2L - 16.6 mpg (241k miles)

——————————————————

2016 Yukon 5.3L - 16.48 mpg (280k miles)

2016 Yukon 6.2L - 13.64 mpg (362k miles)

——————————————————

I’m a big fan of the 6.2L (I put over 100k miles on both the old and the new versions), but “real world numbers” are not nearly as conclusive as you suggest.

Edited by IXFE
20 minutes ago, IXFE said:

www.fuelly.com says otherwise... 

Here’s a few data points:

——————————————————

2018 Silverado 5.3L - 16.38 mpg (960k miles)

2018 Silverado 6.2L - 15.1 mpg (40k miles)

——————————————————

2017 Silverado 5.3L - 16.31 mpg (2.2m miles)

2017 Silverado 6.2L - 16.6 mpg (241k miles)

——————————————————

2016 Yukon 5.3L - 16.48 mpg (280k miles)

2016 Yukon 6.2L - 13.64 mpg (362k miles)

——————————————————

I’m a big fan of the 6.2L (I put over 100k miles on both the old and the new versions), but “real world numbers” are not nearly as conclusive as you suggest.

The question I’d love to know the answer: two 2019 23LSVs, one with the 5.3 and the other with the 6.2. Stock + PnP, surf for 5 hours side by side with a few people in the boat at 11mph, what is the fuel flow/consumption difference.  I think they would be about the same but we really have no idea what rpms the two boats would be running at.” Since no one has a 23 with the M5 or M6.

9 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Brother, in your case I’d just check the M6 box and move on. If feels like you’re overthinking this. You’re clearly in the fence, which means if you get the M5 you’ll always wonder “what if...?”  Just get the big boy and don’t look back. In the grand scheme of things it’s not that much money, and you feeling good about your boat is more important than $5k. 

6ABF61B0-83D7-4448-B36E-B8D97649832F.gif

THIS!! 

Seems like you’ve stumbled into a great situation and the M6 will allow you to ride above any of the doubt/concern. 

Just do it!!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

Brother, in your case I’d just check the M6 box and move on. If feels like you’re overthinking this. You’re clearly in the fence, which means if you get the M5 you’ll always wonder “what if...?”  Just get the big boy and don’t look back. In the grand scheme of things it’s not that much money, and you feeling good about your boat is more important than $5k. 

6ABF61B0-83D7-4448-B36E-B8D97649832F.gif

Okay okay.. you are right and I get the point.  I was more looking for any "negative" of going "big" and it doesn't sound like there is except for some cash out of my pocket.  I put in a request this morning to swap to the M6... waiting to hear back if they can confirm the change or if it is too late.

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

Okay okay.. you are right and I get the point.  I was more looking for any "negative" of going "big" and it doesn't sound like there is except for some cash out of my pocket.  I put in a request this morning to swap to the M6... waiting to hear back if they can confirm the change or if it is too late.

856560D0-9EEB-4217-A384-8A4034708161.gif

• Like 3
8 hours ago, gregtay said:

Depends on how much of a Richard you want to be.  Engine doesn't drop til very end so....

I can make some calls if you want.  Jack knows who I am.  

Ain't that right @IXFE

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, gregtay said:

Thanks again everyone for your help... This morning Malibu confirmed the change to the M6 for my 23LSV build.  Should be a fun boat :)

Very nice!! Can’t wait to hear your report on how it does.