Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gregtay

M5di vs M6di in a 23LSV

Recommended Posts

gregtay

I know this is a lot of speculation at this point but I’d love to hear some thoughts on the M5 vs and M6 in a 23LSV. Any negatives in going up to the M6? I don’t care about fuel costs but if it burns through a ton more gas and requires more runs to the fuel dock that would be a negative... but maybe since the motor isn’t working as hard the fuel consumption offsets. I’m at sea level... so it isn’t an elevation issue. We mainly surf. Currently have the M5 selected on my order but thinking about the M6... I would need to make the change quickly (like Monday.. and maybe even that is too late.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
Posted (edited)

If you want more power and are ok with the extra cost of the upgrade then make the switch! The only real negative I see is it’s going to cost more and you may not get that back in resale. It would be a beast in the 23

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hethj7

Well, historically going bigger on the motor has never really had negatives other than the initial costs.   And fuel burn may be better - it seemed in the past I recall members restoring that on larger motors for the reason you pointed out - they weren’t working as hard.  Was it real or perceived - who knows?  But I wouldn’t worry about more rubs yo the dock fit fuel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wdr
Posted (edited)

I can’t speak to the M6 or even a bigger motor as I have only ever had a 325 or 350 in my wake boats. If money wasn’t a concern I would have a/the bigger motor. If for no other reason than when it comes to resale. 2 questions always get asked, how many hours and what motor is in it?  As far a my personal experiences with the smaller motors and I may be the exception here, I have only ever experienced 1 situation where I wished I had gotten the bigger motor. Reproping my ‘10 with the 350 to the 1235 instantly fixed that issue. I could run max wedge at 11.2 mph @ 3250 rpm with an 1100 surf side and a 750 bow with a suck gate so I was not into the “extra ballast fan boy territory” by no means! That was an outstanding wave as well by anyone’s measurement. With the M5 seeing peak torque of 400lb ft  @ 3800 rpm I am guessing that the M5 is going to be a lot more capable than the 350 Monsoon in the same band. Yes, it is a heavier boat but I honestly don’t think that is going to be a concern with the new engine, hull and PW3. I could stomach the $2K cost for the M5, but honestly don’t think I will see the benefit of the extra cost of the M6. I went ahead and got the more aggressive prop on the dealers recommendation in preparation for the issue I had on the 350, but I think I am going to find out it is going to be too much. JM2C Bill

Edited by wdr
Sp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregtay

Thanks everyone. Hopefully we can hear from someone who has actually driven the two motors back to back. If Malibu believes the M5 is under powered to be offered in the 25 LSV is makes me wonder how much you hve to load the 23 to hit that same limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
9 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Thanks everyone. Hopefully we can hear from someone who has actually driven the two motors back to back. If Malibu believes the M5 is under powered to be offered in the 25 LSV is makes me wonder how much you hve to load the 23 to hit that same limit.

The “450” has always been standard in the 25 LSV. It’s a way bigger boat. There’s a lot more surface area in the water and it’s movinng a lot more weight. I think you’d have to significantly load up the 23 to make the M5 under powered. As I’ve said it in ther threads Malibu has done a ton, a few years worth of testing with GM on this. If the M5 was not going to work for the 23, it wouldn’t be the standard option. I’m sure of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spikew919

Malibu also used to use the monsoon 350 as standard for the 23. And we all know it really would not work. Even though you could reprop it and band aid the situation after the fact. Get the bigger motor and never look back. Kinda like the 5.3 and 6.2 engines in n the Gm trucks. Guys who have the 5.3 will tell it’s fine. It really actually sucks. The 6.2 gets better mileage, and outperforms it by a country mile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

Except for it did work. Hundreds of boats out there with it. Friend had one. Surfed just fine. @Stevo had one, surfed just fine. Yes both do them ran torque props, but nothing more then we are all running now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wdr
3 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Malibu also used to use the monsoon 350 as standard for the 23. And we all know it really would not work. Even though you could reprop it and band aid the situation after the fact. Get the bigger motor and never look back. Kinda like the 5.3 and 6.2 engines in n the Gm trucks. Guys who have the 5.3 will tell it’s fine. It really actually sucks. The 6.2 gets better mileage, and outperforms it by a country mile. 

I never experienced “it really would not work”. Yes I had to reprop from the 537, but that wasnt an adhoc fix. After 1024 hours on the same engine with not one issue and oil sampling telling me the engine internals “looked out standing” I feel pretty strongly that the 350 was a good fit for my LSV. Obviously not everyone will or has seen the same results as me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

And before it even comes up, nautique offers the. Exact. Same. Engine. Options in the super air 23. Zr4 409, first upgrade the the pcm H5 (Malibu M5) and then the pcm H6 (Malibu M6).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Murphy8166
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Malibu also used to use the monsoon 350 as standard for the 23. And we all know it really would not work. Even though you could reprop it and band aid the situation after the fact. Get the bigger motor and never look back. Kinda like the 5.3 and 6.2 engines in n the Gm trucks. Guys who have the 5.3 will tell it’s fine. It really actually sucks. The 6.2 gets better mileage, and outperforms it by a country mile. 

Oh god...another misinformed engine evangelist.  Are you really saying that the 5.3L motor gets better fuel mileage than the 6.2L motor - that just ludicrous and can be disproved with a simple Google search.

 

Edited by Murphy8166

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Murphy8166
12 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Except for it did work. Hundreds of boats out there with it. Friend had one. Surfed just fine. @Stevo had one, surfed just fine. Yes both do them ran torque props, but nothing more then we are all running now. 

Same experience here on my 2015 23 LSV.  We even ran the Wakemakers 800lbs bags in the rear with another 750 in the bow and out 5.7 Monsoon had no issues at all.  Yes we ran the torque prop but we never surfed above 3600-3700 RPM even when all 11mph.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Murphy8166
16 hours ago, gregtay said:

I know this is a lot of speculation at this point but I’d love to hear some thoughts on the M5 vs and M6 in a 23LSV. Any negatives in going up to the M6? I don’t care about fuel costs but if it burns through a ton more gas and requires more runs to the fuel dock that would be a negative... but maybe since the motor isn’t working as hard the fuel consumption offsets. I’m at sea level... so it isn’t an elevation issue. We mainly surf. Currently have the M5 selected on my order but thinking about the M6... I would need to make the change quickly (like Monday.. and maybe even that is too late.)

Greg,  I was able to spend an entire day watching and assisting a 2019 25LSV with the M6 motor pull a surf contest with over 60 riders from level beginner to "don't quit you day job - Pro"  Without a doubt the M6 was night and day more fuel efficient that anything I have seen.  The boat still had 3/4 of a tank of fuel in it as it headed out to pull the last heat of surfers.  We all, including the dealer team, were very shocked at how quite, how much power, how low RPM and fuel efficient the motor was.  I'm sure it has something to do with direct injection but that stuff is over my head.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hethj7

And while I like a little more power we are in a 2014 23LSV with the 350 quite often and it does just fine.  We are not at any elevation though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nitrousbird
37 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

Oh god...another misinformed engine evangelist.  Are you really saying that the 5.3L motor gets better fuel mileage than the 6.2L motor - that just ludicrous and can be disproved with a simple Google search.

 

You might try reading that again.  He did not say that at all.

He is saying the 5.3l gets worse mileage and the antiquated GEN I small block was under powered in the 23LSV. True statements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Murphy8166

Nitrous - what are you talking about....

" Kinda like the 5.3 and 6.2 engines in n the Gm trucks. Guys who have the 5.3 will tell it’s fine. It really actually sucks. The 6.2 gets better mileage, and outperforms it by a country mile. "

There is nothing here whatsoever that points to GEN 1 smaller black under-powered 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spikew919
2 hours ago, Murphy8166 said:

Oh god...another misinformed engine evangelist.  Are you really saying that the 5.3L motor gets better fuel mileage than the 6.2L motor - that just ludicrous and can be disproved with a simple Google search.

 

Nope I said the 6.2 gets better mileage, um did the not teach reading and comprehension where you went to school? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Murphy8166

Straight from GM....

A 2019 Silverado with the 5.3L is rated 17 MPG City , 23 MPG Highway and 19 MPG Combined. The 2019 6.2L is rated at 16 MPG City, 20 MPG Highway, and 17 MPG Combined

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spikew919
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

Straight from GM....

A 2019 Silverado with the 5.3L is rated 17 MPG City , 23 MPG Highway and 19 MPG Combined. The 2019 6.2L is rated at 16 MPG City, 20 MPG Highway, and 17 MPG Combined

And have you ever bought a truck that got what’s on the sticker. Geeze. I have had both in trucks and suvs. And the 6.2 consistently gets better mileage. Ask around. It’s definitely the case.  Real world driving but I’m just preaching. Heck you said it yourself “

 

 

”Are you really saying that the 5.3L motor gets better fuel mileage than the 6.2L motor - that just ludicrous and can be disproved with a simple Google search.”

Edited by spikew919

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
G Spot
2 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Malibu also used to use the monsoon 350 as standard for the 23. And we all know it really would not work. Even though you could reprop it and band aid the situation after the fact. Get the bigger motor and never look back. Kinda like the 5.3 and 6.2 engines in n the Gm trucks. Guys who have the 5.3 will tell it’s fine. It really actually sucks. The 6.2 gets better mileage, and outperforms it by a country mile. 

Not sure what this is based on.... the Indmar 5.7 IIRC I had in a previous 23lsv was indestructible and would take anything you threw at it, but also achieve speeds over 40mph. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregtay
13 minutes ago, G Spot said:

Not sure what this is based on.... the Indmar 5.7 IIRC I had in a previous 23lsv was indestructible and would take anything you threw at it, but also achieve speeds over 40mph. 

I agree.. my Monsoon 340 5.7 in my 23LSV was an amazing motor that never once gave us any issues and it had great low end torque.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stevo
Posted (edited)

And comparatively my buddy had basically the same boat I did , but with the 409. 

I ran heavier, and had better GPH and better wave IMHO

3C942508-BD02-4FA3-BDDE-A0188DB811FD.jpeg

Edited by Stevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bamaboy

What exactly is this pic illustrating @Stevo?

 

No one believes you that your friend also has a 23 lsv.  Thank you for proving it to us.  Hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stevo

Every post should have pics,

just showing off the twins. 

Back to the shire for you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...