Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hard top for a VLX

Beaver

Because the weather was so nice this weekend, (it rained for 30 hours straight) we started thinking about putting some kind of cover on the boat so that we can wakeboard when it´s cold and somewhat rainy.

Then after a couple of beers we had the crazy idea to turn it into a hardtop made out of fiberglass.

Anybody ever hear of something like that? We have a 2006 VLX with the Illusion. Crazy idea or maybe cool?

Andy

I have seen full canvas. My Baja had it, just a large bimini. Fiberglass would be heavy

Yup, Fiber glass would be heavy, and then you run into the second question. Where do you keep a piece of fiberglass almost as big as your boat when you're not using it. Maybe you have a few pieces, but that's still a lot.

My friends I/O has a canvas and plastic cover that attaches to the windshield, goes up high enough for people to stand under, and then comes back down behind the seats. It fully encloses on all sides and would be perfect for boarding in the winter months (at least for the people in the boat)

Have someone make a custom cover that goes between the windshield and the illusion tower, they have very similar lines. Maybe one of the Jeep soft top manufacturers like best top. Then get another "bimini" made to enclose the backend of the illusion tower. Then you have made a small but sealed area, probably good for a spotter, driver and maybe a 3rd. P.S. these need to be the clear vinyl versions so you can see, lol.

Edited by Liquidmx
Hay GoldschlagerVT, Hello from another Lake Anna person. We have a place on the dam end, ski every weekend if not more.

Andy

Hey awilco, We're off Kentucky Springs Rd, on Contrary Creek

GoldschlagerVT,

Sorry to hijack he post...

I have friends in Contrary, one at the very end he has a slip in that common area and another friend just before the bridge. My place is super easy to find, heading toward the dam cove just before Emory Point 1/2 way down only white roof on the right. A good land mark is my friend Al 4 docks before ours has 7 lifts in it and is 2 stories, Steve West is his good bud. We will be there this weekend and skiing Sat, Sun and Monday...

Do you live there full time

Andy [email protected]

Because the weather was so nice this weekend, (it rained for 30 hours straight) we started thinking about putting some kind of cover on the boat so that we can wakeboard when it´s cold and somewhat rainy.

Then after a couple of beers we had the crazy idea to turn it into a hardtop made out of fiberglass.

Anybody ever hear of something like that? We have a 2006 VLX with the Illusion. Crazy idea or maybe cool?

Andy

Hi Beaver,

where in the Kaiserslautern/Trier area do you boat. I am from Landstuhl, but been here for many years. Nice to see somebody from the homeland. :)

Chris

what kind of snaps fit on a malibu windschield?

or do you have to drill them into the frame?

i,m also very intrested in some kind of top for my vlx.

what kind of snaps fit on a malibu windschield?

or do you have to drill them into the frame?

i,m also very intrested in some kind of top for my vlx.

So am I!

Just something that closes the gap between the windshield and the bimini would be fine to keep the wind out of the seating area.

I thought about something like that:

post-334-1160035740_thumb.jpg

@Stewart: That´s kinda what we are looking for! The reason for making it out of fiberglass though was to give the whole thing more of a sweeping look. We would pretty much like the thing to be an extention of the windshield which would mean that it would be pretty low in the front. Do you think that you would be able to see over the bow if there was no clear plastic directly over the windshield?

I have to make a drawing of how this thing should look.

Andy

sounds like it's gonna be too heavy and cumbersome - and you'll wind-up scratching your boat at some point putting it on.

OR

it will be too flimsy and break

unless you plan on this cover being permanently attached to the boat?

Keep in mind that you will need access to the point on the tower where the rope ties on. Another thought is to be sure there is nothing that the rope will catch on either while boarding or while turning after your boarder is down. I know my rope often catches on my bimini when turning to pick up a skier if I have the bimini folded up and have to watch that close so I don't take off while it is caught. With the top covered you might not spot a snaged rope overhead too easy.

The plan is to leave this thing on in the spring and and late summer/fall.

I´m not worried about the rope catching since the cover will be between the illusion and only have smooth

edges and be round.

How thick would we have to make the fiberglass so that it won´t break? It seems to me that 1/4 of an

inch should be OK and not to heavy. And if the thing is concave, then it seems like it would be more durable

than opposed to just flat.

wouldn't it become a cabin boat like handling nightmare if there was a bit of wind ?

low speed is tricky enough in a cross wind even with just a bimini

Edited by uk_exile

Smoothe edges was what I was geting at, no bolts etc to catch on...

Quarter inch thick is probably more than you need. Should not need more than a fiberglass truck topper and they aren't that thick. Reinforceing ribs are the key to keeping them lighter. You might need thicker on the sides around windows. Any company that makes glass toppers should be able do do this right for you but a one of a kind is gonna be spendy. I doubt you are looking at over 200# total, truck toppers are easy enough for two healthy adults to put on an off and this shouldn't be too much worse. Maybe a llittle taller but width and length is about the same. Could be akward docking with limited access on the sides from the forward part of the boat.

Have you applied for a patent? :lol:

@Stewart: That´s kinda what we are looking for! The reason for making it out of fiberglass though was to give the whole thing more of a sweeping look. We would pretty much like the thing to be an extention of the windshield which would mean that it would be pretty low in the front. Do you think that you would be able to see over the bow if there was no clear plastic directly over the windshield?

I have to make a drawing of how this thing should look.

Andy

I can see you where you are going, but I don't think making it out of fiberglass will be a reality. I used to have an enclosed bimini cover on my 89 Sunsetter, like the one pictured on the Supreme. It worked great for the cold weather/early morning runs. It snapped all along the windshield and was held up the way a bimini is normally held up. The guy I bought it from had it made at a bay area canvas shop. It looked very professional.

I saw this setup on an LSV on another site.

stweart, you have anymore pics of that boat? that looks like it'd be pretty nice to have on the hot lakes in the southwest. possibly integrate a swampcooler...whaaaaaaaa