Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pricing a new BU

Donnieb

I'm new to this forum, and I wanted to know how others have negotiated the price of their new Malibu boats.

Is the price negotiable?

Is it like buying a new car, where you might shop a few different dealers? Obviously there aren't as many BU dealers as there are Ford dealers, so you might need to travel a few hundred miles to pick up your boat if your local dealer isn't flexible on their pricing.

Or do you merely place an order with your desired options and then pay the price the sales rep totals up?

Are some dealers more aggressive on pricing than others? If you buy from an out-of-state dealer and then try to get service at a local dealer, will they still handle the warranty repairs?

A local dealer told me that they have an October 27, 2006 Malibu Sale for people that want to order 2007 boats (delivery in April '07). But, they won't have the new Wakesetter with the Diamond Cut hull in by then for a demo, so I'm concerned about buying something I haven't tried. Suggestions?

Is there a time of the year when boats are cheapest? Is it in October, or does Malibu give dealer incentives all the way through the Jan-Feb boat show season?

Thanks!

Donnieb

Edited by Donnieb

Not sure if the time of year means much. I bought mine during the boat show. I think 10% off is pretty common and anything closer to 15% off is real good. Make sure your options are priced right or your 'deal' will be smoke and mirrors. You can also push for your 1st service to be thrown in too.

The turn in the economy may change things, but I bought mine while the economy was jumping.

I would stay with your local dealer if you can. They will be a 'significant other' for at least the warranty period.

I'm new to this forum, and I wanted to know how others have negotiated the price of their new Malibu boats.

Is the price negotiable?

Is it like buying a new car, where you might shop a few different dealers? Obviously there aren't as many BU dealers as there are Ford dealers, so you might need to travel a few hundred miles to pick up your boat if your local dealer isn't flexible on their pricing.

Or do you merely place an order with your desired options and then pay the price the sales rep totals up?

Are some dealers more aggressive on pricing than others? If you buy from an out-of-state dealer and then try to get service at a local dealer, will they still handle the warranty repairs?

A local dealer told me that they have an October 27, 2006 Malibu Sale for people that want to order 2007 boats (delivery in April '07). But, they won't have the new Wakesetter with the Diamond Cut hull in by then for a demo, so I'm concerned about buying something I haven't tried. Suggestions?

Is there a time of the year when boats are cheapest? Is it in October, or does Malibu give dealer incentives all the way through the Jan-Feb boat show season?

Thanks!

Donnieb

WELCOME to the site! And to the Bu family.

Everything's negotiable.

10% off MSRP is normal, if you can negotiate better then you're better.

You want to build a good relationship with your dealer, if at all possible. Mine is so big, it's hard to think I'm building a relationship with anyone there. Some dealers are bigger and claim to have better pricing... You'll have to work on it and see.

I'd recommend dealing with the owner, or find out who the best salesguy is. Let them know you're interested in looking to buy in the next 6 months - but the numbers need to be right.

when you've nailed all the options, and every last detail show up on the last day of the month, when it's raining / snowing :)

Welcome Donnie. :)

First off, I wouldn't compare this with buying a Ford, or any car really. You can negotiate, but some of that will depend on the dealer. I am one that believes that time of year does make a difference - for example buying now through late winter IMO will yield you a better deal than buying in the middle of July (boat show season is typically a very good time to buy). Greg is right, 10% is good & fair for all parties, 15% is very good for the buyer. Your dealer should be able to give you a list of the boat, trailer & all options with MSRP & then what pricing would be at the discounted price. I would try to stay as local as possible, Greg is right on that one as well. There have been dealers that have been known to blackball people that haven't purchased their boats from them & not service them or perform warranty work. Is it right? No, but it does happen. You want a good relationship with them for warranty issues that will arise (it's not a question of if that will happen either). This is another reason to not try & hammer every penny out of them in negotiations. You want a good deal, but at the same time if they're going to be taking care of your boat for you, you want them to feel good about it as well.

It would be really useful for those of us in the market to see some actual prices for their new Malibu's. The buying strategy was definitly helpful!

Just my .02 worth.....

Start with the best price you can find online, ie......boattrader. Check the model you want and start from there. Call the dealer that's selling it and get ALL of the costs, delivery, prep, set up, and make sure it has the options you want.....

Take all of that info to your local dealer.......Tell him that's what you found....

As soon as I did this my dealer immediately got under the guys price because he knew I'd drive for three days to save $3200.

Since there typically isn't more than 1 Malibu dealer in a particular region, and since they tend to be pretty territorial, one way to bring some competition into the mix (and thus get a better deal) is to shop a couple of different boat makes. For example, if you have an MC and CC dealer in your area, look at their offerings, and get their best prices, and let the Malibu dealer know you are shopping around the different boat brands, and that you will buy the boat that you determine to be the best VALUE for you.

With that said, service is very important with these boats - you end up losing if you negotiate so hard that the dealer really has to bleed to do it. You want a fair deal for all involved.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate it. Here's another question. Do you know when boats ordered at the Feb boat show are completed and shipped? And, are you able to pick colors/configurations at the boat show? I live in Seattle.

Thanks!

DonnieB

Welcome! :)

Order Vs. delivery date- Malibu knows how many boats each factory can build in a given year. They project build slots and I'm not sure how they are divied up between dealers.... But each dealer has their share of slots and they have a date attached to them. Some get used for "stock" boats and others are saved for customer orders.

I ordered an '04 in the 3rd week of Jan and picked it up the 2nd week of Feb. My dealer drove to the factory to save shippig time. --And make me a customer for life... (then my salesman/Manager left the dealership :( )

Patrick

Not sure if the time of year means much. I bought mine during the boat show. I think 10% off is pretty common and anything closer to 15% off is real good. Make sure your options are priced right or your 'deal' will be smoke and mirrors. You can also push for your 1st service to be thrown in too.

The turn in the economy may change things, but I bought mine while the economy was jumping.

I would stay with your local dealer if you can. They will be a 'significant other' for at least the warranty period.

I let this comment go for a couple days, but it still bugs me.

2 years ago when you bought your boat (assuming, since it's an 04), the economy was just OK. The economy is in one the best states it has ever been today. Dow at all-time high, unemployment at near record low. All economic indicators are up. I would guess that with todays economy, it may be more difficult to get a good deal, but Malibu has been selling every boat it has capacity to build for the past several years, so it may not make a diff.

mrothwell -

I'm just a contractor and not an economist, so it was just my opinion.

Mine is an 05 and I bought during boat show time at the beginning of 05. IMO it was at a time where available money (HELOC's, home profits etc) were at a high and people had as much disposable/discretionary money as I've seen in some time. I guess I was too general about the state of the economy and should have specified available cash/credit instead.

Granted I'm only 37 and only been financially healthy for 5 years or so which may not give me a wide enough perspective on our economy, but its all I got.

The rise in demand for the tow boat industry maxed out Malibu (I don't know about the others) and allowed price escalations and a flood of boats out in the real world.

I do feel that many have pulled the pocket books back in a little due to the cost of new boats, gas and a slow in the housing market, so Malibu may not be as 'in demand' as they have been in the past several years.

The economy may be healthy, but most that I speak with are hesitant about it. It won't be long before Donnie and the others that buy new for 07 will let us know.

Greg

Edited by Greg_S