Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

320 or moonson340?

supergoose

if you install a lcr 320 in a wakesetter vtx you have more powwer than the vlx white the monsoon 320/20foot=16

340/21,5=15,82

Your power to weight ratio would be better too, since the VTX will weigh about 400 lbs less than the VLX (although in reality the torque numbers are probably more applicable than the HP numbers are, JMO). That's not insignificant.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• 99response

• sandor

• VinRLX

It is really expensive to replace cats in a car, has anyone priced what it would cost to replace them in these boats? (assumeing sooner or later everything breaks) Just one more thing to think of.

I think I would also be leary of the new cats. This isn't like adding a simple new option to the boat. This is uncharted water. I know Indmar has done their homework BUT this next year will show them a lot about how the system work/holds up under real use. I bet the cats will be different for 08 based on feedback from the 07.

If you were talking about non-cat monsoon vs. lcr, the monsoon would be a no-brainer. Especially for only 500. The cats throw a bit of a curve into things.

Hi guys, I am from Australia where the monsoon upgrade is around $2k, (US$1400).. HH is around 8K (US $5600) Cry.gif

Also wanted to ask are these thoughts that you guys are suggesting go for the RLX aslo. Or is the 320 the perfect engine?

Cheers from Aus.

Hi guys, I am from Australia where the monsoon upgrade is around $2k, (US$1400).. HH is around 8K (US $5600) Cry.gif

Also wanted to ask are these thoughts that you guys are suggesting go for the RLX aslo. Or is the 320 the perfect engine?

Cheers from Aus.

Our 2005 Response was equipped with the 320LCR.

Our 2006 Response is equipped with the 320LCR.

All I can say is that the LCR is a great engine for that boat, no need for the Monsoon-upgrade (& the extra money).

Our next Response (LXi) will also come with the LCR engine.

Plenty of torque & hp.

What is this LCR engine everyone is talking about? I know it is a step down from the Monsoon, but is it a carb'ed engine, TBI, or MPI? If it's carb'ed, is it a 2 barrel or 4 barrel? I did not pay much attention to it when I bought my boat because I knew from the get go that I wanted MPI. Has anyone ever had ANY problems with their MPI system on any of the injected motors? I find them very dependable and have not heard of any failures yet, be it on a boat or car. If the LCR is a carb'ed engine, don't you think that is a little 1980's-ish in a modern boat? If HP is the concern, you are looking at the wrong thing. As S.M. Pete states "Torque is the true answer!".

It is not carbed, but EFI. Basically (as I stated before) the LCR is the old Monsoon that Malibu put in their boats from 1996-2002. In 2003 they changed the Monsoon by adding ETX exhaust manifolds as well as the knock sensor that others have mentioned (among other things). The old Monsoon then became the LCR.

Its MPI, actually its pretty much a gen 1 monsoon, they came out with it in 2005 when the repalced the 310 carby. Bare bones MPI of course, not nearly as fancy as the monsoon. Lots of people talk about the lack on knock sensors on the LCR, all that means is its running the conservative table and dosen't try and advance the timing for more power like the mosoon.

These overseas guys really shouldn't consider paying all tha extra cash for the monsoon over the LCR, you'll never know the difference. I'm also not positive how many people will pay $500 more for the exact same boat with an LCR vs a Monsoon, both are MPI and both are strong motors.

Chris

Its MPI, actually its pretty much a gen 1 monsoon, they came out with it in 2005 when the repalced the 310 carby. Bare bones MPI of course, not nearly as fancy as the monsoon. Lots of people talk about the lack on knock sensors on the LCR, all that means is its running the conservative table and dosen't try and advance the timing for more power like the mosoon.

These overseas guys really shouldn't consider paying all tha extra cash for the monsoon over the LCR, you'll never know the difference. I'm also not positive how many people will pay $500 more for the exact same boat with an LCR vs a Monsoon, both are MPI and both are strong motors.

Chris

Totally agree. At $500 it makes sense to go with the Monsoon even if just from a resale perspective, but at what our European friends have to pay it's not worth it IMO. The LCR is a great motor.

Doh! you beat me too it Tracy, but the Gen II monsoon with knock sensors came out in 1999, 2003 they tuned it and got 10 horsepower with the MEFI 4 software and new intake plenum, then in 2004 they added the EXT's for the 5 extra HP to make the 340. I wouldn't know all this if I haven't owned 4 boats from this vintage, i swear.

Doh! you beat me too it Tracy, but the Gen II monsoon with knock sensors came out in 1999, 2003 they tuned it and got 10 horsepower with the MEFI 4 software and new intake plenum, then in 2004 they added the EXT's for the 5 extra HP to make the 340. I wouldn't know all this if I haven't owned 4 boats from this vintage, i swear.

I believe you, I just tend to lump the Monsoons from '03 back in together because '04 was when they made the break between the Monsoon & LCR. It's probably not good that I do that, sorry.

Hey I'm just bored in lecture and dumping out useless knowledge about the subtle changes in the monsoon over the past 7 years is ALOT more fun than bio

Trust me I can ALWAYS find another boat to play with. I actually bought my 02 thinking my 00 was sold, but the deal fell through and I couldn't give up the deal on the 02...so now my driveway looks really cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't understand the macho motorhead logic that is willing to pay $500 for a "stated" few extra ponies for an engine that's in its first year of a significant modification. (Catalytic Converters).

Heck, everyone who's owned the LCR has spoken here quite positively. Lots of speculation about the Monsoon "promising" more resale value..... but if Indmar finds they have to tweak the cats in production year 2 (or has some early life failures or other production/design glitches) just watch folks' perceived "extra re-sale value" go down the drain.

Everything I've read here says stick with the LCR.... at least for this year.

Next year, could be a different story.

As for the $500 saving...... I'm sure you'll find lots of ways to spend it. I'm sure Tracie and TMC wouldn't mind an infusion of cash.

I still don't understand the macho motorhead logic that is willing to pay $500 for a "stated" few extra ponies for an engine that's in its first year of a significant modification. (Catalytic Converters).

Heck, everyone who's owned the LCR has spoken here quite positively. Lots of speculation about the Monsoon "promising" more resale value..... but if Indmar finds they have to tweak the cats in production year 2 (or has some early life failures or other production/design glitches) just watch folks' perceived "extra re-sale value" go down the drain.

Everything I've read here says stick with the LCR.... at least for this year.

Next year, could be a different story.

As for the $500 saving...... I'm sure you'll find lots of ways to spend it. I'm sure Tracie and TMC wouldn't mind an infusion of cash.

In the past, the better resale of the Monsoon isn't implied, it's a reality. Now I agree with you on spending more for something in its first year, your argument is the #1 reason that we don't have a power wedge on our boat. With that said, I think that the thing to remember is that the vast majority of the boat buying public aren't nearly as educated on what came on what year of Malibu, when it first debuted & so on as the members here tend to be. So the chances of getting your money back out the other end is very good IMO. Of course, if you buy with the intent to stay with it over the long haul, then that shouldn't be much of an influence on the decision.

But yeah, if it were me I'd go with one of the other engines. I suspect that the Monsoon will be the guinea pig this year, for good or bad. :)

I would go with the Monsoon. If the Cat's cause too much trouble and are changed next year, they could probably be upgraded under warranty for anyone having problems.

From what I have seen the ETX manifolds do not hold up very well in salt or brackish water...I would stick with the "Old School" 80lbs Cast Iron manifolds if I was operating in that environment.

But $500 for 20HP sounds like a real bargain to me...especially on a boat.

Oh, and polished up, the ETX's look sweet Biggrin.gif

Not trying to add any disputes to what's been said on this thread with regard to cost of upgrade from a 320 to the now cat-340 monsoon.

I have had 2 dealers...one in TN and the other my local one here in AR tell me that with the cat, now it is a $1300 upgrade charge.

Last year it was $700, now $1300...but that is likley RETAIL upgrade, not negotiated. I would imagine it might realistically be close to $1000 best price like someone had elluded to?

Just my $.02/worth, was board this morning so I thought I would chime in. Going to the lake today for a second run with my new to me, LSV.

L8er,

Scott

the MSRP on the 2007 Monsoon upgrade

is $1,590

Here's my rule of thumb

Response LXi, I-Ride, 20LSV, Maybe even 21LSV = 320LCR, Just fine.

(unless you foot, then at Least Monsoon)

V-Ride, Wakesetters= 340 Monsoon or more

I dragged a 2007 V-Ride with a Monsoon, against 320LCR. Both were dead even until about 40 where the monsoon showed it's brawn. It was a very small difference

I then Dragged them Weighted and the Monsoon went faster right from the get go

Edited by edgeski1

As the Edge mentioned, the upgrade is $1590 for a Monsoon. For $500 more I would not stock a LCR in any boat. At the upgrade cost I sell a number of Response & Response LX's with the LCR, along with the iRide & vRide for price purposes.

Every other model we stock gets a Monsoon or Hammerhead. (247 gets 8.1) The new RLXi has some hull in the water, in my opinion your choice should be Monsoon or Hammerhead, not LCR or Monsoon.

In terms of resale everyone wants a Monsoon, it's a known commodity. The LCR they have to be "sold" on. Malibu should have called it a Monsoon 2, and the new one a Monsoon 3.

Peter