Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

320 or moonson340?

supergoose

Our family just ordered a LXI with a 320 engine, can anyone tell me if we should change to the moonson. Our dealer said there is really no advantage or noticable difference. Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• 99response

• sandor

• VinRLX

There is probably one advantage - resale value. Actually, since it sounds like you ordered a 2007 you will get the cat with the Monsoon and not with the LCR. So, if the reviews are all true the Monsoon will be REAL quiet, but there will be a slight loss of power over the previous years.

What's the upcharge for the Monsoon right now? I believe it used to be only $500 - $750, but with the cat on the Monsoon I'm guessing it's more like $1500 now.

Mike

Edited by mlange
There is probably one advantage - resale value. Actually, since it sounds like you ordered a 2007 you will get the cat with the Monsoon and not with the LCR. So, if the reviews are all true the Monsoon will be REAL quiet, but there will be a slight loss of power over the previous years.

What's the upcharge for the Monsoon right now? I believe it used to be only $500 - $750, but with the cat on the Monsoon I'm guessing it's more like $1500 now.

Mike

Mike yes,it is an 07, and the upcharge for the monsoon is $500

Mike yes,it is an 07, and the upcharge for the monsoon is $500

All things being equal, $500 is only a slight upcharge for the Monsoon. I'd probably go for it... of course, it's your money I'm spending. :)

Hold the phone folks. Let's look at this:

LCR with 320 horses and no Catalytic converter.

Or.....

Monsoon with with "340" horses with a Catalytic converter in it's 1st year of production, and an extra $500 as well.

Don't know about your experience, but any first year production of anything has teething problems. Sure, Indmar says they've solved the extra heat question...... but the proof has not been proven in the field yet with any volumes.

Frankly, if it's a toss up between those 2 options, I'd pocket the $500 and avoid the 1st year production hiccups with the new technology.

Edited by doughickey

What about the knock sensors? My Monsoon has two of them and it's my understanding that the LCR320 has none. It may not be a big issue, however, my dealer says that having the knock sensor is a must and two certainly is better than one or none. But, then again....what do I know? I usually ask more questions than answer them. I just remember the knock sensor discussion with my dealer. :)

Edited by timjame0719

I saw a diagram somewhere that the monsoon is more fuelefficent (a figure that pops up in my head is 5%??).

We have the monsoon in our 06 VLX and I wouldn´t want a smaller engine thats for sure. Now the VLX is bigger that the RLXi, but I still think that the monsoon is a better engine.

I love my 07 VLX with the Monsoon. I haven't noticed any loss in horsepower with the ETX Cats and the motor is EXTREMELY QUIET with the silent tip exhaust. The engine compartment is hotter, but with the fuel pump in the tank it hasn't vapor locked, and I've had it out on a 95 degree day. The hotter engine compartment just ensures that my wet suit is really warm in the warming tray. If I had to estimate I would say the engine compartment is 20 degrees warmer.

Trentster

I'm surprised the upcharge is only $500. I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that the cat system added a pretty good chunk of money to the cost of the engine.

In regards to the fuel efficiency, the Monsoon is now a closed loop system, so I'm guessing that's where the improved efficiency comes from.

Mike

I'm surprised the upcharge is only $500. I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that the cat system added a pretty good chunk of money to the cost of the engine.

In regards to the fuel efficiency, the Monsoon is now a closed loop system, so I'm guessing that's where the improved efficiency comes from.

Mike

My bet is that they've buried the cost of the cat system in the base price of the boats - which means even if you don't buy the Monsoon, you are picking up a piece of the cost for those that do.

I've stated many times here and on the old MBO that there is nothing wrong with the LCR motor - even without the knock sensors. It is a fine option for someone who really wants to save the $500. That said, I agree that you'll get every bit of that $500 back in resale with the Monsoon.

For a $500 upgrade I'd go w/ the monsoon it's never a shame to want a few more ponies to pull you out. Resale will also improve as most probably view the monsoon as the mainstream engine in the RLXI vs. the LCR.

My bet is that they've buried the cost of the cat system in the base price of the boats - which means even if you don't buy the Monsoon, you are picking up a piece of the cost for those that do.

I've stated many times here and on the old MBO that there is nothing wrong with the LCR motor - even without the knock sensors. It is a fine option for someone who really wants to save the $500. That said, I agree that you'll get every bit of that $500 back in resale with the Monsoon.

Exactly, especially when you consider that all of these engines will eventually have the cats.

Alright, I've driven all sorts of new boats with LCR's and Monsoon's including the monsoon with the cats.

Seat of the pants you won't see a difference between the monsoon and the LCR. I drove a pretty hot 340 with the cats and couldn't tell the difference with or without the cats.

Personally I'd skip the cats

I should have added that even though the LCR is a solid motor, nearly every lxi I saw this year (30 to 40 of them) had the monsoon motor, of the boats I prepped one had the hammerhead and one had an LCR the rest were monsoons.

I should have added that even though the LCR is a solid motor, nearly every lxi I saw this year (30 to 40 of them) had the monsoon motor, of the boats I prepped one had the hammerhead and one had an LCR the rest were monsoons.

I want to buy a new wakesetter vtx but in our country (netherlands) the price between a 340 and a 320 is about 1400euro (that,s $1778)

Is it worht to get a monsoon 340 if it,s 1778 more??

I think for that kind of cost, I'd stay with the LCR (but that's just me). Out of morbid curiosity, do you know what the upcharge is over there for the Hammerhead?

from the lcr to monsoon price $1778

between monsoon and hammerhead $4521

between lcr and monsoon$6299

gr sandor

I think for that kind of cost, I'd stay with the LCR (but that's just me). Out of morbid curiosity, do you know what the upcharge is over there for the Hammerhead?

from the lcr to monsoon price $1778

between monsoon and hammerhead $4521

between lcr and monsoon$6299

gr sandor

Yikes!

i have now a sunetter vlx white a monsoon 320 is it the same quality as the new lcr 320??

Yes, basically that's the same engine as the LCR. In '03 they changed the Monsoon to add a few things like the ETX manifolds, knock sensor, etc., so the old Monsoon became the LCR at that point. I've been behind plenty of boats with that motor & it sure doesn't lack for power. :)

[

the standaard price of a wakesetter vlx with lcr engine =$67.417,00

maybe with some talking you can get a discount of 9% but the prices over her a high

if you install a lcr 320 in a wakesetter vtx you have more powwer than the vlx white the monsoon 320/20foot=16

340/21,5=15,82