Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

UWSkier

Cheapo heater aux pump: first use report

Recommended Posts

Ryan1776

Outstanding! You really can't beat the price. 

Thanks for your report! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dalt1

Thanks for the info.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UWSkier

Used this again this morning for the first passes of the day.  I really dig having a working heat tube with the engine switched off.  That's definitely neat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rednucleus
23 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Used this again this morning for the first passes of the day.  I really dig having a working heat tube with the engine switched off.  That's definitely neat.

Curious how long you get usable heat with motor off - I imagine the block is a pretty big heat storage vessel - my buddy is ordering this for his Sunsetter; can't wait!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UWSkier
16 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

Curious how long you get usable heat with motor off - I imagine the block is a pretty big heat storage vessel - my buddy is ordering this for his Sunsetter; can't wait!!

I dunno.  I only ran it for about 2 minutes with the engine off but I didn't notice any drop in heat output.  The heater blowers pull quite a bit of juice so I wouldn't run it for more than 10 mins or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
powbmps
On 10/19/2018 at 7:54 PM, UWSkier said:

I stuck this in the return line up by the driver's feet and wired it to a spare "Acc" switch I have right next to my existing heater switch.

When underway, the pump doesn't make any difference, which is good.  Even if you switch it off.  The existing system pushes right past the pump with no issues when underway.  At idle, the pump definitely increases the heat of the air coming out of the heater tubes.

I've got one of these sitting on my desk, waiting for the rain to stop.  When you say you put it in the return line, is it before the heater box (pushing the water), or after it (pulling the water)?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UWSkier
Just now, powbmps said:

I've got one of these sitting on my desk, waiting for the rain to stop.  When you say you put it in the return line, is it before the heater box (pushing the water), or after it (pulling the water)?

Thanks!

I have it inline after the core.  This is (I'm pretty sure) where Heatercraft says to mount their pump as well.  I figure this way it's not putting positive pressure into the core and it's dealing with slightly cooler water.  I'm sure it'd work just as well on the feed line.  I know @braindamage has his pump configured this way and his works well also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
powbmps
32 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I have it inline after the core.  This is (I'm pretty sure) where Heatercraft says to mount their pump as well.  I figure this way it's not putting positive pressure into the core and it's dealing with slightly cooler water.  I'm sure it'd work just as well on the feed line.  I know @braindamage has his pump configured this way and his works well also.

Cool, thanks.  I will try installing it after the core as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hawaiianstyln

nice mod!  I think I will add this for a winter project.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan1776

@UWSkier Thank God you tested yours! Still haven't been able to try mine!  Jeep engine issues, wife got into an accident, and the whole 8month old at home. OH yeah and work! 

But I'm glad it works well! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UWSkier
1 hour ago, Ryan1776 said:

@UWSkier Thank God you tested yours! Still haven't been able to try mine!  Jeep engine issues, wife got into an accident, and the whole 8month old at home. OH yeah and work! 

But I'm glad it works well! 

First TRUE test of it this morning skiing in 55 degrees with a moderate breeze.  Worked great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryan1776
On 10/31/2018 at 1:16 PM, UWSkier said:

First TRUE test of it this morning skiing in 55 degrees with a moderate breeze.  Worked great!

That is AWESOME!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UWSkier

@Rednucleus and @powbmps did you guys end up installing these?  Curious how they worked for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rednucleus

@UWSkier My buddy put one in his 03 Sunsetter and it's sweet. Definitely bumps up heat output at idle, and even get some with engine off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
powbmps

It does help at idle.  Mine makes an audible "tick-tick-tick" noise, but only noticeable when in the drivers seat (it is behind the footrest).

My memory is so bad, I forgot I installed it last fall.  Only remembered when I heard the noise, thought my blower motor was crapping out, and stuck my head under the dash.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55
On 8/2/2019 at 11:34 AM, UWSkier said:

@Rednucleus and @powbmps did you guys end up installing these?  Curious how they worked for you.

I brag about your $10 Amazon pump all the time versus the heatercraft $150 pump 

usually when talking about the heater craft Y pipe I installed instead 

,  for me the Y pipe was the easier install at a price of $65 including bakes shipping and local brass/bronze npt and SS clamps for the return to manifold plugging I had to do different cause I couldn’t get out the manifold return fitting out

my 3 piece star brite sub wall made by a local shop for my rgb ring and FA sub instead of the lousy footwell is sort of a real pain installing and removing  because it’s tight as a drum sandwiched around the fiberglass under dash opening with many many SS screws you don’t want to strip plus the screws from the sub grate snd sub itself minding the RGB stub wire ,  disconnecting the euro vent hose , a real pain just getting the sub itself out and in because of the  tight tolerances from the screw holes for sub in the 3 part wall assembled 

i don’t have your heat when motor off which is perfection BUT

my heat at idle is very very very warm at 3 vent openings 

Of the 3, My under dash   euro vent relocated to lower sub wall  absolutely roasts our feet and gatorstep keeping feet much Warmer instead of blowing down from above factory location 

at speed it changed from warm to downright toasty hot but we aren’t out when it’s 55 air degrees so obviously frame of reference may be different 

so if you have easy access or replacing heater core damaged , your way is better and cheaper just much more work for me

Wired  to the existing heater switch makes yours sweet,  I just wasn’t in the mood to disassemble my 3 piece wall 

no disassembly for heater y except relocation of return hose and cutting its length snd being upside down doing it all !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...