Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

UWSkier

Cheapo heater aux pump: first use report

Ryan1776

Outstanding! You really can't beat the price. 

Thanks for your report! 

dalt1

Thanks for the info.

UWSkier

Used this again this morning for the first passes of the day.  I really dig having a working heat tube with the engine switched off.  That's definitely neat.

Rednucleus
23 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Used this again this morning for the first passes of the day.  I really dig having a working heat tube with the engine switched off.  That's definitely neat.

Curious how long you get usable heat with motor off - I imagine the block is a pretty big heat storage vessel - my buddy is ordering this for his Sunsetter; can't wait!!

UWSkier
16 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

Curious how long you get usable heat with motor off - I imagine the block is a pretty big heat storage vessel - my buddy is ordering this for his Sunsetter; can't wait!!

I dunno.  I only ran it for about 2 minutes with the engine off but I didn't notice any drop in heat output.  The heater blowers pull quite a bit of juice so I wouldn't run it for more than 10 mins or so.

powbmps
On 10/19/2018 at 7:54 PM, UWSkier said:

I stuck this in the return line up by the driver's feet and wired it to a spare "Acc" switch I have right next to my existing heater switch.

When underway, the pump doesn't make any difference, which is good.  Even if you switch it off.  The existing system pushes right past the pump with no issues when underway.  At idle, the pump definitely increases the heat of the air coming out of the heater tubes.

I've got one of these sitting on my desk, waiting for the rain to stop.  When you say you put it in the return line, is it before the heater box (pushing the water), or after it (pulling the water)?

Thanks!

UWSkier
Just now, powbmps said:

I've got one of these sitting on my desk, waiting for the rain to stop.  When you say you put it in the return line, is it before the heater box (pushing the water), or after it (pulling the water)?

Thanks!

I have it inline after the core.  This is (I'm pretty sure) where Heatercraft says to mount their pump as well.  I figure this way it's not putting positive pressure into the core and it's dealing with slightly cooler water.  I'm sure it'd work just as well on the feed line.  I know @braindamage has his pump configured this way and his works well also.

powbmps
32 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I have it inline after the core.  This is (I'm pretty sure) where Heatercraft says to mount their pump as well.  I figure this way it's not putting positive pressure into the core and it's dealing with slightly cooler water.  I'm sure it'd work just as well on the feed line.  I know @braindamage has his pump configured this way and his works well also.

Cool, thanks.  I will try installing it after the core as well.

hawaiianstyln

nice mod!  I think I will add this for a winter project.  Thanks!

Ryan1776

@UWSkier Thank God you tested yours! Still haven't been able to try mine!  Jeep engine issues, wife got into an accident, and the whole 8month old at home. OH yeah and work! 

But I'm glad it works well! 

UWSkier
1 hour ago, Ryan1776 said:

@UWSkier Thank God you tested yours! Still haven't been able to try mine!  Jeep engine issues, wife got into an accident, and the whole 8month old at home. OH yeah and work! 

But I'm glad it works well! 

First TRUE test of it this morning skiing in 55 degrees with a moderate breeze.  Worked great!

Ryan1776
On 10/31/2018 at 1:16 PM, UWSkier said:

First TRUE test of it this morning skiing in 55 degrees with a moderate breeze.  Worked great!

That is AWESOME!!!