Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop is stuck

The Hulk

If they are jammed up, try some penetrating oil, spray it on both ends, tighten the prop puller to put tension on it, tap it a couple times and then walk away.  Come back in 30 minutes, tap it a couple times and tighten again.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

And nothing seats a prop like a surf set.  I would suggest always checking the prop after the first few outings if you have swapped a prop out.  Sometimes the nut needs a 1/4 turn after running it a bit.  Or leave it on the trailer, goose it in gear a couple times, then pull it out to check. 

On 9/17/2018 at 9:53 AM, TallRedRider said:

Thanks for not explaining it to me, since you are so smart.  I understand plenty about science.   Anecdotes are the multiple guys here with tons of boating experience who have shared what they found.  Interestingly, nobody has found grease to make things worse.  Science would be taking 500 props, and greasing half of them and seeing what happens, ideally while blinding the prop removal guy.   But since nobody will ever do that, we are left with expert opinion.  The guys at Acme and everyone who has an opinion on greasing the shaft disagrees with you.  All that you have is a THEORY.  So far, anecdotal evidence and expert opinion proves that greasing the shaft is the best way to go.  

I am going to get increased wear on the prop shaft from tighter seating?  That makes no sense whatsoever, as the parts don't move against one another.  

FWIW I've never greased.  Not because I think it's a bad idea or anything, but because I'm lazy.

11 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

FWIW I've never greased.  Not because I think it's a bad idea or anything, but because I'm lazy.

I've never greased because I paid attention in school when they described taper joints - and I never read the directions (although I don't recall there being any directions) ;)

• Like 2
7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I've never greased because I paid attention in school when they described taper joints - and I never read the directions (although I don't recall there being any directions) ;)

I've never greased them either, nor have I greased other taper joints,  tie rod ends, ball joints, pitman arms etc.  It's just not right when having friction is the intent.  But this does remind me of something else that I've heard people grease, the back side of rod and main engine bearings, I don't grease those either.

• 3 years later...

Great thread, just dug this gem up as I had a prop stuck that the puller would not budge.  Hot water for the win! Dumped 4 cups of hot water from our Insta-hot and she popped off almost immediately! Thanks Bu Crew!

• Like 2

I have used Kroil penetrant oil many times to get stuck props off, just spray and walk away. They have a few blends I use the silikroil.