Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 409 info

Malibuckeye

On 6/4/2021 at 11:29 AM, Burgy said:

Can anyone help me clarify the advisory above?  Do they mean a dexon 1 Gen 2 or dexon 2 oil?  they write "dexon gen 2" . I'm pretty sure it's the dexon 1 Gen 2 we need, not the dexon 2 right??

Thanks again.

Yes that's correct. Dexos 1 Gen 2. Mobil 1 is a great choice. Wally World has it for cheap:

IMG_2760[1].JPG

Below are a couple of interesting articles for those 409/450 owners out there.  The L96 6.0 engine is a legend and for good reason. The bottom end and specifically the rotating assembly (connecting rods, crank, main bearing caps and pistons) are unmatched in terms of durability. 

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/amazing-stock-bottom-end-6-0l-makes-1543-hp-turbos/

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l96/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 2/25/2020 at 2:38 PM, babarney said:

Getting ready to change the oil too. The manual says to start with 4 qts and let it run and go from there. Is that what you all do or does anyone know how much oil to put in with a new filter?

4 quarts for me.  I was surprised how little oil it takes. 😕

• 1 month later...

I have PCM 409 Monsoon in my 1019 23lsv. It is closed cooked. Does anyone know what type of antifreeze/coolant to put in it?

Pleasurecraft engines will use one of two different types of coolant.  Dex-Cool long life coolant which is pink, or Sierra coolant which is green. 

Dex-Cool is an ethylene glycol coolant from GM designed for high corrosion protection that should not be mixed with standard types of coolant containing silicate.  It should be changed every 5 years.

Sierra is a low toxicity phosphate free propylene glycol coolant that needs to be changed every 2 years.

Mixing the types of coolant will not damage the engine, but it will slightly reduce the cooling efficiency and will also negate the extended life properties of Dex-Cool or the low toxicity properties of Sierra.

On 2/25/2020 at 2:38 PM, babarney said:

Getting ready to change the oil too. The manual says to start with 4 qts and let it run and go from there. Is that what you all do or does anyone know how much oil to put in with a new filter?

I can only put is about 4.2 quarts to get a full level on my dipstick.  

On 6/3/2021 at 7:18 PM, Burgy said:

Hello all I know this was talked about before however I can see different recommendation when it comes to what oil to use in the Crusader monsoon 409 6L engine.  I'm looking forward to my first oil change on my 2019 MLX and so far this is what I was told.

local dealer said they use 25W40

Crusader manual says 15W40 and most here seems to agree

Malibu manual says all Malibu boats must use 5W30

AMSOIL supports said I should use their marine 10W40

So nothing really consistent, can anyone help shine some light on the conflicting information I received?

Side Note, I'm in Canada for weather.

Use this - Mobil 1.  Dexos 1, Gen 2 or 3.  Best oil available from Amazon.  

IMG_0582.JPG