Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibuckeye

Monsoon 409 info

Malibuckeye

My 2019 has a monsoon 409 that appears to be made by Crusader.  There's not a ton of info that I can find about this engine other than the basic stuff on crusaders site.  Does anyone have a good reference for it?  I like to do my own maintenance so I'll be looking at getting a spare impeller and just understanding the motor more.  Does anyone know if this is a chevy block?  

Thanks.

onewake09

Chevy block yes. There isnt a ton info online about it. Its the same motor in all the 2017-2019 axis boats as well. I have it in my 2017 axis. I service it all myself. As far as the impeller, call bakes and talk to them. They have it in stock. I ordered my last one from them but cant find the invoice in my email to give you a part number. I also run royal purple HD full synthetic 15w40 oil and napa 1515 filter. 

UWSkier

I think this is the same 6.0L that they've offered in the TXI for a few years now going back to the previous design.  @mlange has one and might have info on the engine assuming it's the same as was in the 2016 ski boat.

shawndoggy

There is PLENTY of info about these motors out there in the world.  PCM has been putting them in Nautiques for over 10 years.  

It's basically the same as the PCM ZR6/zr409/zr450 (same motor but with tune and hot cam) that PCM has been using for years, with the exception that the crusader version is raw water cooled vs close cooled (pretty sure all the PCMs are closed cooled?).

GM LY6 (I think).

It's a great motor and parts are very readily available on nautiqueparts.com/skidim.com/bakesonline.com.

Edited by shawndoggy

shawndoggy
3 hours ago, onewake09 said:

...and napa 1515 filter. 

Which is how you know it's a PCM... cuz that's a ford filter (when vanilla ice changes the oil in his 5.0 he uses a wix 51515 filter), but a carryover from the GT40 days.

ahopkinsVTX
6 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Which is how you know it's a PCM... cuz that's a ford filter (when vanilla ice changes the oil in his 5.0 he uses a wix 51515 filter), but a carryover from the GT40 days.

The motor craft filter is actually super cheap but I just couldn’t bring myself to put a ford oil filter on my gm engine, so I paid $8 more for a wix :lol: 

mlange

There is an owners manual here: https://goo.gl/mdjV7t

There's the waterflow diagram in this thread: https://goo.gl/r5VrpP

Oil Filter options:

• PCM R077001
  • Mobile 1 301
  • Amsoil EA026
  • K&N HP-3001
  • Mercury 35-802886T
  • WIX 51515XP
  • Napa Gold 1515
  • Motor Craft FL-1A

Impeller options:

• PCM RP061022
  • Sierra 18-8926

Spark plug options w/ .040 gap:

• PCM R03011
  • AC 41-110

Edited by mlange

Malibuckeye

Thanks for all the info, you guys are great!

csleaver

It is the GM L96 motor, the LY6 is the earlier version of the same motor.  Indmar and PCM have used those motors for for over a decade with different ECMs and emissions setups.  Volvo Penta used the L96 for a few years too.

Brantb
On 9/14/2018 at 2:36 PM, mlange said:

There is an owners manual here: https://goo.gl/mdjV7t

There's the waterflow diagram in this thread: https://goo.gl/r5VrpP

Oil Filter options:

• PCM R077001
  • Mobile 1 301
  • Amsoil EA026
  • K&N HP-3001
  • Mercury 35-802886T
  • WIX 51515XP
  • Napa Gold 1515
  • Motor Craft FL-1A

Impeller options:

• PCM RP061022
  • Sierra 18-8926

Spark plug options w/ .040 gap:

• PCM R03011
  • AC 41-110

Do you happen to have a list of approved oils? Going to be doing the oil change and draining the block today.

Cazan
11 hours ago, Brantb said:

Do you happen to have a list of approved oils? Going to be doing the oil change and draining the block today.

https://goo.gl/mdjV7tmdjV7t

Page 27

Edited by Cazan