Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where’s the ceiling ?

Bawshogg

3 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Our local house market has gone insane with so many new opportunities in our area you can’t find a house for anything decent. Our 350k house could probably sell for 600 within a couple days on the market. 

Or just look at the Vancouver area, our house in Vancouver suburban areas would be multi million. Something I can’t fathom... 

I need to move where you live. The lower mainland is 3 to 4 times that and I’m not talking mansions. 

1 minute ago, wheelman said:

I need to move where you live. The lower mainland is 3 to 4 times that and I’m not talking mansions. 

Haha Vancouver Island is a beautiful place. Victoria is the only super expensive city too. 

• Like 1

When the next recession comes we'll be purchasing a lake house in the Okanagan and then a 2015 or newer Malibu boat (not sure which model yet and picking is half the fun).  I'm happy to wait it out. Delayed gratification is something I believe my generation is lacking and can lead to all types of unhappiness.

Sure I don't own a boat right now, but we rent one on vacations and I take the opportunity to teach my kids (overall quite provilidged already without us owning a boat) about appreciation of all the things we do have, delayed gratification, saving, priorities etc. 

We danced around the last recession quite well in Canada, but our debt to income ratio is at historic levels (and rising along with interest rates).  I have no idea when the downturn will come but as John Snow would say, winter is coming... 

4 hours ago, Stevo said:

I have a question.

Why do you even care??  Aparently

“$$ Money ain’t no Thang”

439E56EE-43FC-40BF-AA42-1E0DFBB4B926.jpeg

I care because I want to. 

Pretty funny when a working class blue collar guy gets called out as a 1%’r... Hillarous actually ! 😂

Truck belongs to the dealer I WORK FOR ... not mine , but I do have the luxury to “use”. .

Boat was mine , but I have also been in the game for 18 years and had a chance grow my nut with the industry growth. So no secret sauce there . Everything I have I have worked for and still am working for .... so when things get so far out reality that it makes ME..... the 1%er  ponder ... I’m just curious what at the 99% have to say. 

• Like 2

I work in the environmental monitoring department for the power industry and know that the mats rule(40 CFR part 63) hit a lot of industries hard including fiberglass manufacturing. 

So I wonder how much of an affect the latest EPA regs have had on costs. 

Just a quick glance it looks as if you can't use chopper guns anymore. That would be a decent increase in labor costs alone if everything had to be hand rolled. 

Edited by cowwboy
1 hour ago, Fman said:

Look at what a new Ford F350 runs these days?  There is one at the local Ford dealer with a sticker price of $97k (lifted and blinged out).  RV's and tow haulers are no different... everyone is jumping on the 4% increase annually.  I have a few good friends who live to the hill, no retirement planning, finance everything, but could care less and just want to have fun in life.  There is also ZERO accountability, whenever this "crash" happens and people can't afford there $150k boats they just turn them in and walk away.  Two years later there credit is back up and they are doing the same thing again.  Guarantee there are people in 2008 who lost there homes, boats, RV's, etc... who are living in big houses again, have all there toys back and are laughing to the bank.

I work in Elkhart, Indiana where it is the RV manufacturing capital.  We are also home to Bennington and Godfrey Marine.   I can tell you production of most RV's is slowing down.  However, people are still buying RV's at the dealers.  The RV sales had been through the roof over the last few years.  A slight decline would still be great sales for our industry.  The Dealers were overstocked and are now cutting back to help clear lots.  We should have a more accurate forecast in the next month or two but it is definitely down on our end for the remainder of the year compared month over month to last years numbers.  They are forecasting RV shipments to decline by about 1.7%.  However, the marine side is still forecasting an increase in sales and production.  Next year will definitely be interesting for the recreation industry.

Here is what realtor.com says for my place since recession.  Zillow has the value $42k less.  

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 2.46.06 PM.png

Edited by River Monsters
1 hour ago, cowwboy said:

Just a quick glance it looks as if you can't use chopper guns anymore. That would be a decent increase in labor costs alone if everything had to be hand rolled. 

1) Diddly - they just moved from Cali to TN.  CorrectCraft has a second plant in Titusville Fla - aotherplace where enviro-nazis  are in remission.

2) https://www.nautique.com/about/factory-tour  At about 3:25 into the vid.  BTW, I'm not trying to rekindle the chopper versus hand laid argument (BTDT) as both can be great or terrible, depending on how they are done.

21 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

CorrectCraft has a second plant in Titusville Fla - aotherplace where enviro-nazis  are in remission.

Huh?  Correct craft built a new standalone facility a decade ago outside Orlando.  Haven't had a Titusville plant in 60 years.  Do you know of something otherwise?

31 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

1) Diddly - they just moved from Cali to TN.  CorrectCraft has a second plant in Titusville Fla - aotherplace where enviro-nazis  are in remission.

2) https://www.nautique.com/about/factory-tour  At about 3:25 into the vid.  BTW, I'm not trying to rekindle the chopper versus hand laid argument (BTDT) as both can be great or terrible, depending on how they are done.

And in the "Facts sheet" aka quick guide to 40cfr part 63 subpart VVVV States . 

"Boat manufacturers will also need to apply resin using nonspray (nonatomizing) technology, such as resin flowcoaters, pressure-fed rollers, or resin impregnators, in place of resin spray guns."

So unless they are considered a minor source and don't make a new facility they won't be able to do that anymore. 

16 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

And in the "Facts sheet" aka quick guide to 40cfr part 63 subpart VVVV States . 

"Boat manufacturers will also need to apply resin using nonspray (nonatomizing) technology, such as resin flowcoaters, pressure-fed rollers, or resin impregnators, in place of resin spray guns."

So unless they are considered a minor source and don't make a new facility they won't be able to do that anymore. 

About 5 min in.  And yeah, it is four years old, but AFAIK the TN factory.  Probably just another "minor source".  

16 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

About 5 min in.  And yeah, it is four years old, but AFAIK the TN factory.  Probably just another "minor source".  

All I can see in that video is a blonde girl in a blue shirt.....she seems really smart!  :whistle:

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, cowwboy said:

I work in the environmental monitoring department for the power industry and know that the mats rule(40 CFR part 63) hit a lot of industries hard including fiberglass manufacturing. 

Malibu still uses chopper guns. I saw them last year at the factory.

Couple of observations.

First, I think it is interesting that many of the people complaining about prices have boats much newer than my (now old) 2014.

Second, I don't know how you can argue it is just towboat prices.  Has anyone looked at stern drive prices?  Much the same increase.  So are the pontoons.  Fishing boats are now going at or above $100k.  My LSV has depreciated significantly more than my Lund.

When will it end?  I don't know why anyone would be "pulling" for a recession.  I certainly don't want one.  As long as the amount of time you can finance toys is increasing, it will allow the prices to continue to increase as well.

43 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

So wait a second.. The guy who starts a thread about boat prices and how they are so much while going up every year (just like everything else manufactured or grown on this planet) implying that they are too high. Also has a post on Instagram bragging about his tow rig and boat on a level that most people would find incredibly arrogant. Then it’s implied he is a 1%er, gets quite defensive and the defense is that it isn’t even his truck so that makes it ok. Alrighty then...

Or it makes him smart and educated, maybe that’s why he is in the position he is in. Just like the stock market, timing can be everything and would you leave your money invested in volatile postitions if you did your research and signs point towards a pull back. This is how a lot of people got caught in 08/09. Not to say a boat is like your stocks, however it never hurts to ask questions and have a discussion on what people think may happen. Why do people always want to turn a thread into something negative on here?  

7 minutes ago, wheelman said:

Or it makes him smart and educated, maybe that’s why he is in the position he is in. Just like the stock market, timing can be everything and would you leave your money invested in volatile postitions if you did your research and signs point towards a pull back. This is how a lot of people got caught in 08/09. Not to say a boat is like your stocks, however it never hurts to ask questions and have a discussion on what people think may happen. Why do people always want to turn a thread into something negative on here?  

Idk do you not see the irony of someone who is clearly bragging about money and then coming on here to complain about the rising costs of boats? Yet he owns own of the biggest, most expensive wake boats out there? More power to him if his comment on IG is true. Lots of people have money to blow and most work very hard for it. I’m not saying he didn’t. I just found that incredibly ironic... I’m not one posting on here asking for a next recession... I’m enjoying the ride we are on right now. I agree with @RyanB whether you are stashing cash under your mattress or playing super risky games in the market, why would anyone want another recession? 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Idk do you not see the irony of someone who is clearly bragging about money and then coming on here to complain about the rising costs of boats? Yet he owns own of the biggest, most expensive wake boats out there? More power to him if his comment on IG is true. Lots of people have money to blow and most work very hard for it. I’m not saying he didn’t. I just found that incredibly ironic... I’m not one posting on here asking for a next recession... I’m enjoying the ride we are on right now. I agree with @RyanB whether you are stashing cash under your mattress or playing super risky games in the market, why would anyone want another recession?

Because it was easy to pick stocks that went up crazy multiples.  :)

41 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I don’t think anyone wants the next recession, definitely not myself, op didn’t post he did either. I also don’t see him complaining about the price of boats. He said he wanted to open a dialogue on where we all think boat prices are going. I for one am curious. Nothing wrong with that. He also didn’t brag about anything he has or doesn’t has. Actually came and said trucks not his, but who the hell cares? Someone else posted an Instagram picture, and who knows what the context of that picture was meant when the op posted it. Everything on the internet is real right? Probably was to be shared between his friends who get the humour,  not a bunch of guys on a forum who like to twist things up. Anyhow I’m not defending the op, cause baws is more than capable of doing that on his own. Just giving my point of view. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

So wait a second.. The guy who starts a thread about boat prices and how they are so much while going up every year (just like everything else manufactured or grown on this planet) implying that they are too high. Also has a post on Instagram bragging about his tow rig and boat on a level that most people would find incredibly arrogant. Then it’s implied he is a 1%er, gets quite defensive and the defense is that it isn’t even his truck so that makes it ok. 

Wew couldn’t have even made that one up. I guess money is a thang...

The best part of that is the “assumption” factor...

I NEVER stated I was fed up with prices , nor did I mention any specific manufacturer as a potential cause . I just wanted to open dialogue as to what YOU believe the cieling for pricing is and where that will be ...That’s it .

If I had no history .... I probably wouldn’t think much of it , but it’s VERY interesting how you hear the complaints year after year but we all keep voting with our wallets and reaffirming the cost increases as valid . Is there really 100k more in these boats since 2012??? 

@Stevo as usual had to take the pop shot about a photo taken by my boss... and yes that’s exactly what was said when the shot  was taken ... That truck had a sticker of 90k dollars ...plus tax ... So yes ...”If money ain’t a thang”... why not spend 160k on a one-off boat and 90k on a loaded to the gills F-450 Platinum. 

You assume you know what I paid for the boat , you assume the truck is mine , you assume I’m a 1%er @granddaddy55... ya’ll couldn’t be more wrong . I don’t even own a boat currently , mostly because resale on the newer Centurions is horrible ...😂 That’s another assumption straight this group. Obviously your mamma never told you what happens when you ASSume.

Rock on Internet cowboys . Place sure ain’t what it was .

• Like 4