Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
braindamage

Engine Overheating

Recommended Posts

braindamage

Ok so I told my brother in law to buy a Malibu, but he bought a Regal v-drive instead and is having issues.

their engine overheats intermittently. They have replaced the water pump and impeller and have flushed the system. I think they must have some sort of debris in there that is restricting flow every once in a while.

suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMan

Is the only symptom the temp gauge? If so, could be the gauge or sending unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
obaro15

If you have water flowing through the system I would check the thermostat as they only last 4 to 5 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Woodski

@braindamage:  Define intermittent?  If totally random, probably electrical.  They might want to get a thermal laser gun and simply do some temperature comparisons to see if the heat spike is real or phantom.  Shoot it right at the outlet side of the thermostat or where the temp sensor is.

https://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-69465.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

Trade it in for a Malibu :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
braindamage
34 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Trade it in for a Malibu :lol: 

My thoughts exactly!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
braindamage
1 hour ago, Woodski said:

@braindamage:  Define intermittent?  If totally random, probably electrical.  They might want to get a thermal laser gun and simply do some temperature comparisons to see if the heat spike is real or phantom.  Shoot it right at the outlet side of the thermostat or where the temp sensor is.

https://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-69465.html

Intermittent in that it happens randomly independent of speed, activity, time running, idle. Sometimes it will oscillate up and down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
braindamage
1 hour ago, MadMan said:

Is the only symptom the temp gauge? If so, could be the gauge or sending unit.

Symptom is an audible alarm and temp gauge. I wonder if it’s the same sending unit for both?

@Woodski that’s a good idea. Maybe it’s just a false reading. I’ll check that out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
justgary
58 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Trade it in for a Malibu :lol: 

Or just have him post a question at theregalcrew.com... heh heh heh.

So when you say, "flushed the system," is that flushing, or backflushing?  Shoving a garden hose into the water inlet and letting it run won't really do much.  Remove the thermostat and the raw water inlet hose, then force water in at the manifold crossover hose to get the system to flow in reverse.  Using some sort of decalcifying or radiator flush product in the block may help to remove buildup.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
braindamage
Just now, justgary said:

Or just have him post a question at theregalcrew.com... heh heh heh.

So when you say, "flushed the system," is that flushing, or backflushing?  Shoving a garden hose into the water inlet and letting it run won't really do much.  Remove the thermostat and the raw water inlet hose, then force water in at the manifold crossover hose to get the system to flow in reverse.  Using some sort of decalcifying or radiator flush product in the block may help to remove buildup.  

I just joined the regal forum but in previous searches they don’t really have much as this v-drive cuz it was kind of a failed venture.

i don’t know what kind of flush happened. It was done by a local marina guy but since it took him 8hours to replace a water pump I’m guessing he really doesn’t know what he’s doing.

great description of what a real flush looks like! I’ll pass that along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
justgary

If the guy took 8 hours to replace the water pump, maybe he did do a good job of flushing it.  You mentioned both water pump and impeller, so it sounds like they did change the circulating pump on the engine as well.  I wonder if maybe the raw water pump is sucking air, or maybe they aren't getting a good prime on the pump.

Like woodski said, the IR thermometer guns are great for this kind of thing.  Put the sensor very close to the part you are sensing, and just move it around to find obvious hot spots.  I have a direct drive that I converted to half closed cooling, but everything stays right at 160*F including the risers (except for the uncooled part of the exhaust manifolds).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...