Jump to content
cjtpilot

Eco boost fans

Recommended Posts

cjtpilot

So I have had my F150 eco boost for about a year and half. My question to the eco boost fans is......... where does the “Eco” part of the name actually happen?....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB

Ford is very good at marketing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrothwell

Yeah, I haven't been impressed by the "eco" part either.  2 people in my extended family have them, and I get consistently better mileage from my V8 GM.  They do have good power, and I'm impressed with some things about them, but "eco" is NOT one of them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy

steady state driving at 55 you can do real well.  Other than that..... not so much.  I'm about 15 in town and 17-19 on the highway (depending on how far my foot is into it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrothwell

Sounds about like my Bro-in-law's numbers.  Last 2 trips I took in my GM V-8, I got 21 mpg, averaging 82 mph on a 700 mile trip.  The next week I did a 400 mile trip and got 23 mpg at a 70 mph average.  Towing numbers I was getting about 1 mpg better on the same trip, similar weighted trailers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy

that's really good.  Which motor do you have?  Averaging 82 over 700 miles is no small feat in and of itself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrothwell

I love the 80 mph speed limit we have here.....

just 5.3, but it does what I need it to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy

5.3 prolly better compared to the 2.7 than the 3.5.  The 2.7s do pretty good, I hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
95echelon

So I just decided between a used Yukon XL Denali and one of the "new style" expeditions. i rented the expedition and liked the interior and the double moonroof for sure but it was smaller of course than the denali XL. Both cars had similar power (in the 400's for HP/TQ).

I ended up with the Denali and I am seeing 14ish city and 22ish highway. Have not towed with it distance yet. I REALLY loved that expedition, I wish it were longer. However if the mileage is really that bad I am surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FSSPCat

I get 25mpg on my 2.7 Ecoboost. It’s better than my old Xterra and my wife’s 4Runner. I’m very happy with the fuel economy. 

Edited by FSSPCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UWSkier

Over the life of my 5.3 so far I'm getting about 17.8 MPG with an average speed of 46 MPH.  This is over the course of roughly 16,000 miles.  The drive from WI to AZ I averaged upwards of 65 MPH but was bucking 12-20 MPH winds the whole way and I got about 17.5 MPG on that trip.  If I'd spun round and headed back to WI that number would likely have been 20+.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bozboat

Having had a 2012 F150 with the 3.5 eco boost for 98,000 miles and now a 2017 F150 with a 5.0, I can say the EB was good for about plus 1.5-2.0 mpg with my style of driving over the 5.0.   If I went full hyper mileage I could do a little better than 2 mpg savings over the 5.0.  Anytime the turbos spooled up the fuel mileage  dropped.   When towing the boat the EB got 10-10.5 mpg, the 5.0 is getting about 13-14 mpg.  I liked the EB better for its low end grunt and its silence and will have to see how the 5.0 holds up. The 5.0 makes more noise as its  power band is in the higher rpm range vs the EB.

The downside for me on the EB was the added maintenance cost of spark plugs and plug boots ~$600 at 65,000 miles and the “warranty” replacement of the timing chains, chain tensioners, and cam phasers around 80,000 miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UWSkier

@Bozboat so the EB was better empty but the 5.0 beats it towing?  Interesting.

I like the Ford 5.0.  Sounds like a truck should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy
24 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

The downside for me on the EB was the added maintenance cost of spark plugs and plug boots ~$600 at 65,000 miles 

Boz, not to beat you up about that, but c'mon man, you posted pics of your engine hoisted out of the boat to change the oil pan.  I'm pretty sure you could do the plugs and boots!  I did it a month ago and it took about $90 in parts (the boots had to be bought a few at a time from different auto parts stores, unfortunately) and about an hour of my time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB

According to Fuelly, Ford F150 MPG is about:

 

18ish MPG for the 2.7.  They have tracked close to 9,000,000 miles

16ish MPG for the newer 3.5.  They have tracked close to 15,000,000 miles

16ish MPG for the 5.0.  Tracking around 6,000,000 miles

Anyone who is really getting 25 MPG on a regular basis out of any of those engines has something special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
95echelon
Just now, RyanB said:

According to Fuelly, Ford F150 MPG is about:

 

18ish MPG for the 2.7.  They have tracked close to 9,000,000 miles

16ish MPG for the newer 3.5.  They have tracked close to 15,000,000 miles

16ish MPG for the 5.0.  Tracking around 6,000,000 miles

Anyone who is really getting 25 MPG on a regular basis out of any of those engines has something special.

Combined Mileage correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB
Pra4sno

I get 20 average.  Mostly city driving and tow the boat 10 miles twice a week.  

Has been a very average vehicle for me.  Spends a lot of time in the shop for a truck with under 40k miles on it.

Edited by Pra4sno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLBurns

Maybe it is the drivers, but a close friend runs a supply business that uses only Fords. All of his 2.7 EB's average 12 mpg combined hwy and city driving. His 3/4 tons with the 6.2 are averaging 18. Obviously he is done with the EB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
9 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

Maybe it is the drivers, but a close friend runs a supply business that uses only Fords. All of his 2.7 EB's average 12 mpg combined hwy and city driving. His 3/4 tons with the 6.2 are averaging 18. Obviously he is done with the EB.

Likely using them like a truck with a load in them, not empty.  Turbos are neat, but seriously a 2.7l engine in a 5k plus lb truck? 

In other news from ram forum traffic, the 2018 Ecodiesel seems to be pretty universally hated by owners of previous versions.  Sounds like a lot of the previous ECO and power might have disappeared after some honest engine emmissions programming. 

Edited by oldjeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MLBurns

They all are hauling similar loads, probably around 1000 lbs in the bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bozboat
16 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Boz, not to beat you up about that, but c'mon man, you posted pics of your engine hoisted out of the boat to change the oil pan.  I'm pretty sure you could do the plugs and boots!  I did it a month ago and it took about $90 in parts (the boots had to be bought a few at a time from different auto parts stores, unfortunately) and about an hour of my time.  

I could yes.  However the truck was under warranty and I thought the transmission was slipping when trying to pass rams and silverados on the farm road. When trying to accelerate from 50 to 75 it would buck and jump forcing me into an embarrassing retreat. Ford dealer said it was spark plugs, some plug boots, and a reflash of ecm would fix it. They already had the truck, I had already paid the “diagnostic fee” so I said sure I will try it expecting to pay around $250 including the “diagnostic fee”.  Not happy when I was handed a bill for $600 ish, that was not covered by warranty. Nothing really I could do but pay it.

later experience with this dealer makes me wonder whether the plugs were changed or were even the problem.

Edited by Bozboat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
granddaddy55
18 hours ago, FSSPCat said:

I get 25mpg on my 2.7 Ecoboost. It’s better than my old Xterra and my wife’s 4Runner. I’m very happy with the fuel economy. 

At 55 with cruise control!!!!!!

70 is 21-22 or less, 72 -78 is 17-19

towing 71 cruise control and tow mode, 9.2 unless it’s pure flat ground no hills then maybe 12.5, 55-60 flat ground towing, no stops, if your lucky 14-15

ive done some ride sharing on in town on surface streets mixed with  elevated and/or separate roadways with no lights but traffic,  driving like a grandpa, you get exactly the rated city mileage , 19.  The only thing eco about it!

start and stop  short haul trips to work and errands mostly on surface streets with very short intervals in hwy in other words normal personal city driving, 15-16

now ask me how I like my very inexpensive truck, priceless !! The power off the light towing , ridiculous with out flooring it!

coming from 10 mpg in city on my 5.9L 2000 ram, overjoyed!

and I don’t want to hear about brand new hemi’s that DON’T come with running boards or step ups from the factory like my Ford XLT chrome package  did ( with powder coated attachments to frame) when they are at a higher price point and options list

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FSSPCat
9 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

At 55 with cruise control!!!!!!

70 is 21-22 or less, 72 -78 is 17-19

towing 71 cruise control and tow mode, 9.2 unless it’s pure flat ground no hills then maybe 12.5, 55-60 flat ground towing, no stops, if your lucky 14-15

ive done some ride sharing on in town on surface streets mixed with  elevated and/or separate roadways with no lights but traffic,  driving like a grandpa, you get exactly the rated city mileage , 19.  The only thing eco about it!

start and stop  short haul trips to work and errands mostly on surface streets with very short intervals in hwy in other words normal personal city driving, 15-16

now ask me how I like my very inexpensive truck, priceless !! The power off the light towing , ridiculous with out flooring it!

coming from 10 mpg in city on my 5.9L 2000 ram, overjoyed!

and I don’t want to hear about brand new hemi’s that DON’T come with running boards or step ups from the factory like my Ford XLT chrome package  did ( with powder coated attachments to frame) when they are at a higher price point and options list

25mpg is my average. And that is about 65 mph on the highway. In he city I get about 18-20. I don’t have a heavy foot though. Towing my RLX through the mountains I got about 16mpg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×