Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do you tip at the fuel dock?

Pnwrider

I have never tipped. I have never gotten help at the marina gas station other than them turning on the pump. I tie up myself, go inside and pay, and then come out and  pump myself. I have yet to see service that warrants a tip. I have tipped at the restaurants on the river where they really help (although i can tie up myself just fine). That tip always seems a bit uncomfortable becasuse i don't really need the help. It's more of an obligatory tip.  Kind of like the homeless guy at the gas station wanting to clean your windshield on the car you just washed. 

Edited by isellacuras
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, isellacuras said:

I have never tipped. I have never gotten help at the marina gas station other than them turning on the pump. I tie up myself, go inside and pay, and then come out and  pump myself. I have yet to see service that warrants a tip. I have tipped at the restaurants on the river where they really help (although i can tie up myself just fine). That tip always seems a bit uncomfortable becasuse i don't really need the help. It's more of an obligatory tip.  Kind of like the homeless guy at the gas station wanting to clean your windshield on the car you just washed. 

That's the way I feel about the kids at the local restaurant docks as well.  I always try to park at the furthest docks or hope they are busy with bigger boats that actually need help.  Biggest pet peeve is when the are frantically motioning for me to pull into a slip on my left side when I'm going for one that is on my right so that I can easily slide in myself.

...buys a boat that costs more than some houses, and can't throw a Finsky to the 15-year old kid that helped pump the gas into it. Come on, big guy!

Edited by BigCreek
  • Like 2

Fill up at the gas station 99% of the time.     The only time I am at a Marina is on my annual trip to Lake Shasta for a week.   Never occurred to me to tip them since most of the my crew handles the tie off and I fill it myself.  The only interaction I have is with the person at the gas dock register.   

If this summer a dock person assists me I will be sure to tip them so as to build the reputation for Malibu Owners.  :)

On 6/4/2018 at 12:43 PM, Ronnie said:

I tip them $5 every time, no matter how much fuel I get. They know me when I pull in and they race each other to get me fueled up. I've seen them ignore other boats to get mine filled up. They are mostly high school kids and they appreciate the tips.

THIS......

On 6/4/2018 at 1:43 PM, Ronnie said:

I tip them $5 every time, no matter how much fuel I get. They know me when I pull in and they race each other to get me fueled up. I've seen them ignore other boats to get mine filled up. They are mostly high school kids and they appreciate the tips.

Every.  time.   My experience is the help us usually high school kids trying to make some summer cash.  As noted, once the staff knows you tip, your service only gets better.