Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
hawaiianstyln

What is this sound - water pump bearing??

Recommended Posts

hawaiianstyln

Runs fine, no overheating.  One video is about 800 RPMs and the other is probably about 1000 rpms.  It obviously gets more consistent the higher the RPMs.  Sounds like it's come from the location of the raw water pump or impeller housing.  Just got it back from dealer and they lake tested it just to check some other things I wanted to have done on it.  I haven't ran it coming out of winterization until now and I get this.

Not sure if I should lake test it or take it back to dealer 1.5 hours away.  I just bought this boat last June so I know nothing on what motor parts have been replaced.  Yes there is a brand new impeller in there seated the correct way.  Other than that, she purrs

IMG_0619.MOV

IMG_0618.MOV

Share this post


Link to post
MadMan

Might just be the belt slipping, is it tight?

Share this post


Link to post
minnmarker

.MOV files can't be opened by Android.

I had a similar noise that ended up being a leaky intake manifold gasket.  Will take a look if you repost in a more universal format.

Share this post


Link to post
Ndawg12

I had a very similar squeak the other day, sprayed wd40 on the belt and it went away, so I knew it was the belt.  Probably had about 1.5" of deflection on the longest run.  Loosened the alternator, wedged it back, and retightened.  Less than an inch of deflection and no squeak.

 

Edit - Listened to your second video again, sounds like some ticking as well as squealing, mine was more of a rhythmic squeal.  Worth a try though. 

Edited by Ndawg12

Share this post


Link to post
tex599

I would remove the belt and start the motor and see if it goes away.  It could be raw water pump, circulating pump, alternator, not sure if this boat has an idler pulley or not (hard to tell what engine you have).  Once the belt is off, spin the accessories and see if you can feel for bad bearings.  It does sound more like a squealing belt, than metalic sounding from a bad bearing.  Video can sometime distort the sound though.

Share this post


Link to post
hawaiianstyln

okay I will get back to the boat tomorrow or Sunday to test.  To me it sounds like small rocks being shaken up in a can with water in the can if that even makes sense HAHAHAHHAA

I did spray wd40 behind and infront or anywhere I could on all pulleys on the motor.

Share this post


Link to post
hawaiianstyln
1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

.MOV files can't be opened by Android.

I had a similar noise that ended up being a leaky intake manifold gasket.  Will take a look if you repost in a more universal format.

let me see if I can convert that for you bud

Share this post


Link to post
hawaiianstyln
1 hour ago, tex599 said:

I would remove the belt and start the motor and see if it goes away.  It could be raw water pump, circulating pump, alternator, not sure if this boat has an idler pulley or not (hard to tell what engine you have).  Once the belt is off, spin the accessories and see if you can feel for bad bearings.  It does sound more like a squealing belt, than metalic sounding from a bad bearing.  Video can sometime distort the sound though.

I have the 340 Monsoon

Share this post


Link to post
formulaben

Watching the 2nd video you can see that the engine RPM changes with the ticking, as if whatever is making the noise is definitely adding a load to the engine.  Not much expertise here but my guess is it is the recirculation pump.  Belt looks tight.  I'd remove the belt and turn the top pulley and see if you can hear anything.  Was this on a fake-a-lake or on the water?

Share this post


Link to post
hawaiianstyln
2 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Watching the 2nd video you can see that the engine RPM changes with the ticking, as if whatever is making the noise is definitely adding a load to the engine.  Not much expertise here but my guess is it is the recirculation pump.  Belt looks tight.  I'd remove the belt and turn the top pulley and see if you can hear anything.  Was this on a fake-a-lake or on the water?

it was on a fake-a-lake.

I have to admit now that the dealer questioned me.  When I got it back from dealer and they lake tested all was fine, I started it up on a fake-a-lake and heard a few common squeeking that I've heard on other boats when the engine is running and pulleys are going.  It all disappears with a few squirts of WD40 on each pulley (happens occasionally after a year of running).  So I had heard that and squirted on the front and back of all pulleys and I know for a fact I got WD40 on the belt..  Mechanic said that could be your culprit.  However, what I hear almost sounds like the noise of the metal ball when you shake up a paint can. 

Tomorrow I will be pulling the boat back out and troubleshooting

Share this post


Link to post
hawaiianstyln

so could it actually be belt squeak is what the mechanic was thinking.  I will get a spray bottle with dawn dish soap and water and spray while it's running before I remove the belt.  I'm hoping I induced this problem and it's really lame one.

or if it's the raw water pump bearing, how hard is that to pull off and replace?  Never had to do one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
formulaben

Raw water pump R&R is relatively easy, just remove the impeller assembly and replace...now doing just the bearing is a different story.  Hard to say if it's worth your time.  Recirculation pump I don't think is too hard.  Just look at your motor and the assembly is behind the top pulley, should look like this.  Before you do anything I'd make sure the belts are clean and you have PLENTY of water from the fakey.

Share this post


Link to post
hawaiianstyln
2 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Raw water pump R&R is relatively easy, just remove the impeller assembly and replace...now doing just the bearing is a different story.  Hard to say if it's worth your time.  Recirculation pump I don't think is too hard.  Just look at your motor and the assembly is behind the top pulley, should look like this.  Before you do anything I'd make sure the belts are clean and you have PLENTY of water from the fakey.

thanks bud, I was just looking up all the parts "just in case" I need to start learning how to remove or process of elimination.  I shall report back tomorrow night after my findings of root cause analysis.....

Share this post


Link to post
formulaben

Lots of stories about lack of water causing issues/noise.  Also, not to be condescending but just to be certain, you're not putting it in gear when on the fakey, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
hawaiianstyln
39 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Lots of stories about lack of water causing issues/noise.  Also, not to be condescending but just to be certain, you're not putting it in gear when on the fakey, correct?

I did because my neutral black button at the base of the throttle wont push in so i cant disengage the prop. Unfortunately yes its in gear but never went over 1,000 rpm

good question by the way. Itwas my only way to get rpms up

Edited by hawaiianstyln

Share this post


Link to post
hawaiianstyln

Am i gonna get neutered or lashed now for putting in gear on fakealake 

Share this post


Link to post
MadMan
2 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Am i gonna get neutered or lashed now for putting in gear on fakealake 

No, but running the cutlass bearing dry will cause the type of noise though.

Share this post


Link to post
hawaiianstyln
43 minutes ago, MadMan said:

No, but running the cutlass bearing dry will cause the type of noise though.

But the shaft packing is watercooled and has a hose to it.  When i put it in gear its silent as can be as its spins.  

Share this post


Link to post
minnmarker
5 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

let me see if I can convert that for you bud

Listened on my desk top.  It sounds like a bad belt, not a bearing, and certainly not like my gasket leak.

Share this post


Link to post
hawaiianstyln
1 minute ago, minnmarker said:

Listened on my desk top.  It sounds like a bad belt, not a bearing, and certainly not like my gasket leak.

Thank you for the intel!  I was just looking for the belt number to order at Bakes for an 08 vlx and cant seem to narrow down if its 725018 or the other one.  I would like to get the cross ref belts for autozone so i can pickup one tomorrow and try it.  Still researching to confirm 

Share this post


Link to post
minnmarker

You should be able to take it off and to the store for a match.   Note how far along the  bracket the alternator is in case you have to get a slightly longer or shorter belt.  Make sure the cross section matches.

Share this post


Link to post
hawaiianstyln
1 minute ago, minnmarker said:

You should be able to take it off and to the store for a match.   Note how far along the  bracket the alternator is in case you have to get a slightly longer or shorter belt.  Make sure the cross section matches.

Thanks will do!  Im hoping when i see the boat tomorrow the belt # is still on and then i can cross ref it from bakes or this site

Share this post


Link to post
hawaiianstyln

Update:

Went and got a new belt at AutoZone but before I pull that off and check the pulleys or moving parts for bearing issues, I sprayed some soap and water on the belt and each exterior pulley.  The noise was no longer existent even at higher rpms.  I thought to myself, "it was because I got WD40 on the belt and pulleys!!".  Nope, the noise came back I suppose after the soap and water dried up.  Only this time I have some different noises which almost leads me to believe it could be bearing related.  I really need a stethoscope but I will try a rubber tube or long screwdriver to the ear in the next hour to see if I can find where it's coming from.  It's definitely right at the Circ pump/impeller housing it sounds like, but more to come on that.

IMG_0625.mp4

IMG_0625.MOV

Share this post


Link to post
hawaiianstyln

starting to narrow it down.  Noise starts, 1-2 squirts on the Circ pump and stops!

sorry only have .mov format on this one but you can see it clearly stops when water hits the circ pump pulley.  I'm assuming my bearings and need a new circ pump?   

IMG_0628.MOV

Edited by hawaiianstyln

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...