Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this site too intimidating?

shawndoggy

3 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

what is the fb page name/link? I cant find the malibu crew. found one that hasnt been active since 2017...?

oops sorry for the similar post to the one above (edit)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/327295504286386/

After this thread, membership is going to grow exponentially! haha  I'm just joining to watch it burn!  @ibelonginprison convinced me!

4 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/327295504286386/

After this thread, membership is going to grow exponentially! haha  I'm just joining to watch it burn!  @ibelonginprison convinced me!

Nice one... if 10 of us "forumies" post 10 replys with some good, sound info... maybe we can make a change?
JK, 610 new posts in 30 days.. that page is doomed. 

I havent seen any posts yet, but theres gotta be an equilibrium of stupidity right? Like after so many wrong, dumb posts.. ppl are gonna ruin things or worse.. and then those users will "die off?" Not die die.. just virtually die..?

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

...theres gotta be an equilibrium of stupidity right? Like after so many wrong, dumb posts.. ppl are gonna ruin things or worse.. and then those users will "die off?" Not die die.. just virtually die..?

I’ve thought this same thing about our political system for years....

I have been here a little over a year now.    Overall, I find TMC to be a damn helpful group of people.   It can be a little snarky from time to time, but I can be a little snarky, so it doesnt bother me.  Some people might be put off by that.   I will say that I still hang out around the Crownline forum, which is an exceptionally helpful group as well.   I think it has long since outgrown its Crownline roots and become a general boating forum.   Good people, lots of help.

I actually thought that TMC was pretty dang helpful when I was a complete noob... I first came here to figure out how I would configure my boat, and things that now are OBVIOUS to me were pretty much a mystery to me then.  Im pretty sure some of my questions have been stupid, I am a believer in the old cliche that the most stupid question is the one that wasnt asked.   I just have been ready to be TOLD it was stupid, and dont get offended by it. 

One thing that would be helpful is getting rid of the search time limit... I am pretty sure that today's technology can handle more searches.    I have lost count of the times where I try to search for an answer - especially when I dont know what to call something, and am frustrated that I cant run another search until I wait 10 seconds (or whatever it is).   Candidly, that annoys the crap out of me, and more than once has probably prompted me to ask a question that has already been covered. 

WRT to the facebook group, I check in from time to time, and answer a question here and there.   The ONLY way it will ever improve is if more people with real knowledge engage.   Given how much help I got in my first year, I kinda feel like it is on me to try to help if/when/where I can. 

Im pretty sure I still will have lots of stupid questions - one season of Malibu does not an expert make... 

• Like 3

Yeah the volume is simply to high to provide any real information, and the questions are constant repeats.  "Hey whats best beginner surfboard?".  Over 6300 members is just to much.

Also, I'd 2nd @JeffC comment regarding the search time.  Pretty annoying.

Edited by onwi
  • Like 1

I'll 3rd @JeffC search engine comment.  It doesn't work as well or go back in time far enough.  I've had to "Follow" any subject I think I may want to go back to.  Don't use the search function much anymore.

I joined the fb group a couple of weeks ago, initially I thought it was loosely connected with TMC..............definitely not. The volume of content is crazy, soooo many posts (I may need to block them from my timeline / wall / whatever it's called).

Look, I'm pretty new to Malibu (not so much to inboards), but I try to do my research before asking a question or providing an answer. I don't post a ton, but when I do, I try to make sure it's valuable content. FB is too easy, too fast. I also think because TMC is full of knowledgeable members, there's an expectation that questions and responses are well thought out so you're not wasting a member's time. I actually appreciate the culture of TMC.

I also agree with some of the earlier posts. I have a 2007, I don't have a lot to add when it comes to all the new boats being bought and customized. But I do appreciate and enjoy the content of all 3 sub-groups. Keep up the good work!

:werule:

I always use google (directed to this website) to search.  Search at the top does not work very well, even if you don't mind waiting.  

• Like 2

The FB group is definitely the kids pool to TMC.  What amazes me is how many people on there who have clearly just bought new boats from dealers (likely their first boat), who have zero knowledge of their purchase.  How is it that the sales guy did not explain the most basic of boat functionality like pre-set surf settings, or the ability to plug in bags to help you achieve that "push" your beginner board is so desperately not giving you.  It's frustrating and I feel it doesn't help build a better owner network. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

I didn't know the fb page existed. I just joined. I'm already annoyed. 

I know the feeling.  Part of me wants to put absolutely incorrect information for answers but the other part of me just wants to leave the group.  I'm torn.

Edited by hunter77ah
7 minutes ago, River Monsters said:

I always use google (directed to this website) to search.  Search at the top does not work very well, even if you don't mind waiting.  

Excellent point. I do the same. I used to be able to do it with Wakeworld too, but that forum has changed a lot and not quite as helpful as it used to be.

4 minutes ago, John I. said:

The Stereo section is kinda intimidating.                      :unsure:

I'll 2nd that.......only because I know nothing. 

This place isn't intimidating.  It has quality content, and quality comments/advise/tech tips.  It feels like that causes people to question if they are improving that content by posting, or just adding more text to scroll through.  

The level of dumb on other forums is mind boggling, not necessarily because people are dumb...but because they are a part of a growing trend in our country:

1.  Talking before thinking.

2.   Forming strong opinions without thinking why it matters to them.  

3.  Asking questions before questioning if it needs to be asked. 

All in the age if Google. 

Edited by Pra4sno

This place is welcoming to new peeps.  Like any other forum, it makes sense to lurk and get a feel for it before you start posting.  For sure, I've definitely gotten more from this forum than I've put in, which is why I try to give back as much (hopefully good info) as possible.

• Like 2

I think it's good.  There should be some level of difficulty, so that it's not so easy and turns into the FB page that has been referenced.  By the way, I am active on FB but will not join that group, based on what I've heard here.

Which points me to I think there are a lot of common sense, smart people here.  I've posted stuff regarding a zillion topics besides my boat, and almost always get great responses from educated people, rather than people just replying to start an argument or just being stupid.  So I'd say it's not intimidating, it's respectful.

And I've noticed a lot of Echelons lately, seems like more this year than in the recent few years.  I think there is an ebb and flow to the equipment age & related site activity.

• Like 2

Love this place!  Stop in daily for a mental health boost; next best thing to skiing. My impression is that I have been welcomed from day one.  You folks have not only helped with boat & ski stuff, you have fixed my 85 Nissan and got me pointed in the right direction for a mower (yes you are all great at spending others money!!). Thanks for letting me participate! :) 

• Like 3

I'm new on this site this past winter. I've only been helped so far and like what I read, but nothing is perfect. I actually purchased my first real boat partly based on feedback from this site. I also like going back through older Maintenance and Gear posts to educate myself. So far, so good. Thick skin is an excellent quality to have regardless of where you are, and that's life in a nutshell.  Most really good things are a bit intimidating at first. I don't do Facebook. I figure most of my friends are going to be with me anyway so they have been there done that.

20 minutes ago, shadetreefab said:

Don't forget about the boat pics on the fb group, some of the ugliest custom orders I've ever seen.

Don't lie... you liked that "bag of Spree candy" boat that dude posted...... 

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, saxton15 said:

The FB group is definitely the kids pool to TMC.  What amazes me is how many people on there who have clearly just bought new boats from dealers (likely their first boat), who have zero knowledge of their purchase.  How is it that the sales guy did not explain the most basic of boat functionality like pre-set surf settings, or the ability to plug in bags to help you achieve that "push" your beginner board is so desperately not giving you.  It's frustrating and I feel it doesn't help build a better owner network. 

They probably were explained. I’ve realized when I take new people out they barely listen. But they are also probably the first to blast Malibu or their dealer online ... :blush: 

13 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

Don't lie... you liked that "bag of Spree candy" boat that dude posted...... 

This one? :rofl: 

D2A5ECC4-FA5D-468C-B2BB-A394D75E86A2.thumb.png.1a35f2cfd69fd17decda15af19a5253c.pngA4F52D6A-5C6E-41DC-BFEB-9242612773CD.thumb.png.2513cec30227e318edf6fdae72b79c4b.png

I couldn’t believe it when I saw it. I hope the dealer made him pay up front. 

I saw that one being built when I was at the factory. I thought it was a mistake on the dealers part, but Malibu apparently called the dealer a few times confirming colors. 

• Like 1