Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this site too intimidating?

shawndoggy

Recently I've been wondering whether this site is too intimidating for some posters?

Reason I ask is that for whatever reason I also "joined" the Malibu/Axis boat owner's group on facebook and it's nothing but dumb questions and dumb answers to dumb questions.  Even though it's not anonymous, it just seems like a bunch of drive by terrible content.  I don't even bother answering any of the many many easy to answer questions because it's clear that you'll be drowned out by the morons.

But that's what got me thinking... is TMC too hard or too intimidating?

• Like 3

Nope, but sometimes you need a thick skin. My BMW M3 site is a little better most of the time but sometimes worse.

TMC has some self appointed experts (qualified and not) like any other web group.  And some dumb questions.  It's not the place to learn basic wiring or how to use a wrench.

I like the balance.  The facebook group is nice - but I'm sure lots of regular posters might lose interest in this site if the traffic were like the facebook group.  The content is repetitive and seems more tuned to people entering into malibu/axis/inboard ownership.  Its worth perusing and chiming in, but I certainly wouldn't pay for membership here if the typical question here was "is stock ballast enough to surf - I weigh 250".

That said, I think any message board is intimidating to a small degree.  Isn't it the rule that there is 1 content creator, 9 respondents and 90 lurkers for 100 users?

• Like 2

The fb group is for entertainment only, even the wife gets a good laugh there. 

Here is not to bad, but some people come off as DB's. So newer people are less likely to post or stay around

• Like 3
7 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Nope, but sometimes you need a thick skin. My BMW M3 site is a little better most of the time but sometimes worse.

TMC has some self appointed experts (qualified and not) like any other web group.  And some dumb questions.  It's not the place to learn basic wiring or how to use a wrench.

You on M3forum.net? I’ve been a member there for 10+ years. Still visit the OT section once in a while. Those guys will tear apart a noob :lol:

Intimidating, no...opinionated, yes.  Me? Just a really bad speller who was always happy with the answers to my questions.  Some sharp folks here. 

• Like 3

I am on several different forums and I think this one has a good balance of technical and fun. I find ppl generally want to help and are willing to tolerate a bit of noob questions. I’m not sure why someone would be intimidated.

@saxton15 is right, posts complaining about service, dealers, Malibu quality, etc generally get the brunt of the terse responses.

ive been on for long enough to see the membership and feel of the forum change quite a lot. Some for good, others not. I still think this is one of the best forums I’ve been on.

• Like 2

Any place that puts up with me, is ok

many of us, more me, can be an acquired taste

im a pitiful mechanic, site gave me confidence to try and assurance that I don’t need a dealer especially now that we don’t have one 

people have common themes like on cushion sacs vs lead , read comments over and over of those buying/ordering new boats and they/the wife saying “ I better not have any sacs with new boat “, now I got rid of mine and have 500lbs and a Board bimini cargo net, now I have a “new” boat thx to the posters

i did discover the Black Friday lead wake sale on Wakeworld cause of how their thread menu works , can’t wsit for that to come back as you need them all, 

and hats off to our admins and tech guys as your conversions and maintenance are obviously well planned since very minimal if not zero downtime 

look at Wakeworld , much more commercial site, down over two weeks and counting!!

Edited by granddaddy55
3 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

You on M3forum.net? I’ve been a member there for 10+ years. Still visit the OT section once in a while. Those guys will tear apart a noob :lol:

Yep, and same handle.  M3forum.net has some very knowledgeable tech guys that have been of great value to me over the years - both in DIY and arranging professional service.  The "best tire" and "picture" threads are a lot like TMC "stereo" and "new boat" threads, IMHO, but all in all both sites are good.  M3forum.net seems to be down right now?

Id say its a little daunting.  I find it really hard to search for things that you may not really know the name of.  I think it would be cool to see more stickies of good how tos and FAQs.  The difficulty to do things like add photos and videos is also kinda a pain.  My membership keeps lapsing so I know there are other ways to make it easier, but youll not likely get new people jumping in to pay for a membership without seeing a benefit.   We do also get off topic easy and it always seems to turn into a this is why XYZ boat is better, then a fight of why its not and why we should kick xyz person off this site.  Im glad Im not a MOD cause that would get exhausting. 

11 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Recently I've been wondering whether this site is too intimidating for some posters?

Reason I ask is that for whatever reason I also "joined" the Malibu/Axis boat owner's group on facebook and it's nothing but dumb questions and dumb answers to dumb questions.  Even though it's not anonymous, it just seems like a bunch of drive by terrible content.  I don't even bother answering any of the many many easy to answer questions because it's clear that you'll be drowned out by the morons.

But that's what got me thinking... is TMC too hard or too intimidating?

Before the last major update,  it was just easier to follow a thread.  Now I check "recent activity" but that has about a ten min window before it falls off the bottom page, so I miss a lot of content that I would might have participated in.  The other thing, I think as the average age of the boat owned by a crewmember rises, we end up with three classes of boats.  The Square Windows, the Middle (1998-2009)  and the Modern 2010 to nows.  Fewer people running the older boats each year, so fewer items of boat related interest for those hanging onto the old boats.  I would not have been able to hang onto my old 99 SSLXI without the help from those on this forum and I appreciate the help and what I have learned. I really don't have much to add to concerns about the Modern Boats. 

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

The other thing, I think as the average age of the boat owned by a crewmember rises, we end up with three classes of boats.  

Agree with part of this.  I think your analysis is skewed though.  New boat owners are older cause they're 100k+ but guys like me (20-40yos) are buying the middle-aged boats and are definitely interested in modding them to perform better, or more like the new boats.  Things like lights, plumbing in ballast, stereo, replacing vinyls, etc are all stuff we search for regularly.  Id love to see lists of good threads talking about all these and maybe possible vendors for each, ie all the different light vendors and reviews of their performance, same with stereo, lights, seadek* etc

Also should be noted we have different goals of these boats, some want 0 wake, others want 40' tall wakes.  

13 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

That Facebook group has sooooooooooo much bad info floating around. 
It's idiots, answering idiots questions with idiot answers. 

It's like a perpetual motion machine of stupidity.

"magic eraser all the things!"
"white vinegar takes off water spots but doesn't touch the wax!"
"Who cares that your riding form is crap, the answer is obviously moAr weight!"
"SPRAY 303 ON YOUR KIDS TO KEEP THEM FROM DROWNING!!"

Come on man. I've gone this long without joining FB and I won't do it now. Guess I'll have to sign into my wife's account and enjoy the show from there...

• Like 3

what is the fb page name/link? I cant find the malibu crew. found one that hasnt been active since 2017...?

oops sorry for the similar post to the one above (edit)

Edited by AJwakedevil