Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Response stock stereo questions

kpickett

On my new to me Response, the cones on the front Kicker speakers are sun rotted and cracked.  

Questions - has anyone re-coned marine speakers like these?  I can't seem to find a re-cone kit anywhere.  Or, does anyone have 6.5" Kickers sitting around that they replaced with something else?  Or, any suggestions of how to get replacements, or something that would go in their place?

Also, I've done searches about this - do I really have to take off the driver windshield to get that speaker out?  I was able to get the observer side out with a right-angle screwdriver, but I can't get it into the driver side.  I've seen that it's just eight screws, but I'm nervous about weather the windshield will go back on as tight as it is.

Thanks so much.

Kyle

You need a helper, but you can actually have the windshield off and speaker out faster and easier then trying to wrangle it out with the windshield in place.  

IIRC, those might be an old KS series with a pole mounted tweeter. Honestly, not worth repairing as they are a car speaker anyway. A new pair of KM654 are a true marine speaker and can be had for likely inside of $150 p/pair. Just one example. The Wet Sounds SW-65icB is another great choice, just a little higher price.