Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Going the other way

TOAST

Contrary to the trend of folks moving to V-drives. I have a friend going the other way. . . .

After many, many years of happy V-drive ownership, my good friend is looking for a new DD. He's been a MC owner for all of those v-drive years. Now doing a search across MS, SN, Malibu for his new dream boat.

He is looking for "the best ski wake in the world". He usually goes out with a total 3 or 4 people in the boat. He lives to ski, but has recently started enjoying surfing during some 'down time' and his teenager still likes the ocassional wakeboard run and load up the boat with half dozen friends.

Help a bro out . . . what should he consider/get?

I looked at the Malibu site at the 06 Response LX and LXi. How much difference is there in the wake between those 2? With the add'l width, I'd guess the LXi is a little more roomy, but you sacrifice some wake. (total guess as I am clueless on these strange DD animals)

I also remember seeing some commentary about the 07 lineup, but since I'm not a DD guy, none of it really stuck. (seemed like skiers were 'cool' at best on the new DD models)

Thanks for any suggestions/experience that could help. . . .

OK - so I finally caught up with the 07 RLXi thread here looks like 07 RLXi would be the ski boat of choice from Malibu. (he wants an open bow)

Any idea what trade offs/differences that would have versus the 07s from Mastercraft or Natique?

btw his old v-drive was MC205

thanks for any add'l info/insights

The 07 RLXi seems to be the best choice for him...well worth the time to check one out at the local dealer.

Add a power wedge to it & it might just be exactly the boat for him. As an alternative, he might want to check out the new Sunscape VTX on the Diamond hull. It won't have the best slalom wake in the world, but I suspect that it will be pretty good & would be an excellent crossover boat.

The VTX would be nice, also the Response LXi... as Tracie mentioned, the extreme change from subtle waters to humongous wake with the wedge deployed give the ultimate versatility, whatever he feels like doing is well within his reach. Plus, that LXi is hott!!! Yahoo.gif

P.S. "Going the other way" sounds pretty.. ummmm funny. lol

Edited by Adam
The VTX would be nice, also the Response LXi... as Tracie mentioned, the extreme change from subtle waters to humongous wake with the wedge deployed give the ultimate versatility, whatever he feels like doing is well within his reach. Plus, that LXi is hott!!! Yahoo.gif

P.S. "Going the other way" sounds pretty.. ummmm funny. lol

I saw the title and was like...hmmm...I don't know if I want to read this thread :lol:

"the best ski wake in the world" isn't going to happen in a crossover boat. The Air 216 is probably the best of both worlds as far as wake size and shape. The small inside of the boat and lack of freeboard are the only problems for use on regular "non-private" lakes.

With Malibu offerings, the VTX would be okay on small lakes or smooth water. (I want one for our small lake!) The R LXi is rough and wet on a bad weather day. The XTi's do pretty well all around. The wake table is pretty wide but solid for boarding and great for open water skiing as long as the boat isn't loaded.

Our SS XTi has pulled quite a few pro level boarders that love the wake when the boat is loaded heavy. They really like it when I pull a spin and soak the other V-drives that their buddies are on. Most of the young guns don't even know a big boat can turn like that Crazy.gif

For the "the best ski wake in the world" go with a dedicated tournament boat. One of the guys here just got a special order closed bow MC. It's almost as sweet as the Malibu Corvette boat.

"the best ski wake in the world" isn't going to happen in a crossover boat. The Air 216 is probably the best of both worlds as far as wake size and shape. The small inside of the boat and lack of freeboard are the only problems for use on regular "non-private" lakes.

With Malibu offerings, the VTX would be okay on small lakes or smooth water. (I want one for our small lake!) The R LXi is rough and wet on a bad weather day. The XTi's do pretty well all around. The wake table is pretty wide but solid for boarding and great for open water skiing as long as the boat isn't loaded.

Our SS XTi has pulled quite a few pro level boarders that love the wake when the boat is loaded heavy. They really like it when I pull a spin and soak the other V-drives that their buddies are on. Most of the young guns don't even know a big boat can turn like that Crazy.gif

For the "the best ski wake in the world" go with a dedicated tournament boat. One of the guys here just got a special order closed bow MC. It's almost as sweet as the Malibu Corvette boat.

Have you ridden in the '07 models?

I HAVE... Tongue.gif FREAKIN SWEEEEET!!! Yahoo.gif

RX.. badass ;)

20 LSV (I WANT IT)

LXi, sooo perfect..

VLX Must I say it??

Innocent.gif

Now I havent been in the VTX yet... but hear nothing but good things.. =) looks like i need to get in one this week.. grrrrrrrrr..

Edited by Adam

Checking to see when the local dealer will have 07 RLXi in. . . .

Thanks for the suggestions. RLXi with power wedge sounds like a good fit so far. I know he doesn't care for the layout on the XTI.

Contrary to the trend of folks moving to V-drives. I have a friend going the other way. . . .

After many, many years of happy V-drive ownership, my good friend is looking for a new DD. He's been a MC owner for all of those v-drive years.

No wonder he is looking for a change. The MC V-Drive must have put a bad taste in his mouth. Has he ever driven a V-Drive that turns on a dime, is quick out of the hole, and rides like a Caddy?

Dealer was telling me that VTX with the diamond hull is going to become a 3 event sanctioned boat for 07. Hope to try out one at demo days in couple of weeks. For now the RLXi fits my ski and boarding needs fine.

Edited by onamission
Checking to see when the local dealer will have 07 RLXi in. . . .

Thanks for the suggestions. RLXi with power wedge sounds like a good fit so far. I know he doesn't care for the layout on the XTI.

I was down at Bridge City today picking up my boat. I finally got the heated observer seat hooked up (my wife tried it out and likes it) and had a couple of warranty issues taken care of. I asked about '07's. They just unwrapped a Silver Edition VLX, but don't have any Responses or VTX's in yet and they don't know for sure when they will be in. I plan on taking a look at the VTX when they have one and see what it is like.

OB - thanks for the update. . .

Keep me posted if you see/hear more from BCW. I'll do the same. . .

(still hoping to get out 1 or 2 more times, but it will be tough with sept calendar commitments and the shorter days. . . .)

I HAVE... Tongue.gif FREAKIN SWEEEEET!!! Yahoo.gif

RX.. badass ;)

20 LSV (I WANT IT)

LXi, sooo perfect..

VLX Must I say it??

Innocent.gif

Now I havent been in the VTX yet... but hear nothing but good things.. =) looks like i need to get in one this week.. grrrrrrrrr..

I haven't seen the VTX on the water yet either. If she handles well its time to start saving again. Cry.gif