Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Synthetic oil in Monsoon...Your Thoughts?

It appears Shell Oil owns Pennzoil, Quaker State, and also makes Walmart Brand

http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/fc-w.asp

On another note, I cut appart a fram tough guard and Baldwin oil filters to compare construction. The fram filter, as the internet study states, is very low grade construction and materials and in fact was missing an internal filter screen shown in a diagram on the box it came in.

While under warranty I will use Pennzoil. However, Mobil Marine website has Delvac 1 5-40 Syn which looks pretty good, but very expensive at $28 per gallon

I read an article in Boating Magazine about a new certification for marine motor oil known as FC-W. The basics of the article were that they suggest you should use only use FC-W motor oils in marine applications. Supposedly it has corrosion inhibitors and no automotive engine oil could ever pass the tests for this certification. When I changed my oil this last time, the only oil I could find that had this certification was Quicksilver so that is what I bought but it was very pricey ($14 for a gallon).
I'm willing to bet that the guy or girl who wrote that article works for or consult for Mercury Marine (Quicksilver). Most, if not all, C-rated oils ( the C stands for compression, which is how a diesel engine is fired) would meet this W standard because it has more inhibiters and acid neutralizers in it than a S-rated oil ( the S stands for spark, which is how a gasoline engine is fired). 40 and 50 wieght oils usually meet both the C & S ratings. 20 & 30 wieghts will only meet the S.

Upon further research, the FC-W oils are for outboard 4 cycle motors.

Edited by electricjohn
Is it true that once you go synthetic, you can't go back?
Gererally, no, it is not true. Once you get into the high mileage/hours situation, you should stay with whatever you were useing. Low miles/hour it does not matter. You can even mix (blend) them.
I'm willing to bet that the guy or girl who wrote that article works for or consult for Mercury Marine (Quicksilver). Most, if not all, C-rated oils ( the C stands for compression, which is how a diesel engine is fired) would meet this W standard because it has more inhibiters and acid neutralizers in it than a S-rated oil ( the S stands for spark, which is how a gasoline engine is fired). 40 and 50 wieght oils usually meet both the C & S ratings. 20 & 30 wieghts will only meet the S.

Upon further research, the FC-W oils are for outboard 4 cycle motors.

The API ratings measure a lot more things than additives. Shear capability being one of the more critical. The CH series of ratings was created for diesel engines - and thats because a diesel engine operates in a much more extreme environment than a gas engine (higher compression and soot). The CH-4 was the higher standard for the last 10 years but they have now created the CH-4+ category "exceeds" the CH-4 rating. That's what I like.

Synthetic oils - They really shine at extremely low temps (like 30 below zero). I think they can do a little better at very high operating temperatues too. No question they are superior, it's just that I do not want to spend the $6-7/qt since I change every 40-50 hours with a good CH-4+ oil. IMO, I think thats overkill, but then again, the CFO thinks those ss cupholders were overkill and I thought they were VITAL Yahoo.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Gordo - which non-synthetic CH-4+ oil do you use? Where do you get it, and how much does it cost?

good reading on this post.

Hey, what kind of filters is everyone using? Obviously not Fram, but is there a "best" filter?

I use Pennzoil Marine (which has 4+ designation). Everyone has their favorites, but, IMO, as long as you buy the recommended viscosity range and find an oil with the CH-4 or CH-4+ (which even exceeds the extreme duty CH-4 API rating), I think you are fine. I believe I paid about $2/qt the last time I bought a case of the Pennzoil CH-4+. I can find it at my local auto store. The Pennzoil 15-40 is also labled diesel - but do not let that bother you - a diesel engine just requires an extreme duty oil like a marine engine. As a matter of fact, most CH-4 and CH-4+ oils are rated/labled diesel.

T - I re-read the API grades and you may be correct: the CI-4+ may actually exceed the CH-4+. When I get back in town on Monday I will try and go down the hall and ask my oil expert.