Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Legal towing?

Cole2001

So I was thinking.... I know probably a bad idea:rofl:

Has anyone had any problems with towing larger beamed boats and having trailer guide poles? In BC it seems to me that 8.5 feet is the max width. So the 102 inch beam boats are illegal before we even get started with guide poles and racks. In all reality I doubt any cop will actually measure but still.... 

Also surge brakes arent acceptable over a weight of 6100lbs..... So would the gov rather us just not have brakes??? I know.. electric options... But still. 

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/travel/163-1312-towing-rules-and-regulations-in-canada/

Here in the UK we have the same rules, but when you start digging the width limit of 2.55m 100” is the trailer not the boat, so the trailers for the UK that Malibu supply have a smaller track with the wheels just under the boat. You need to remove the guide poles to tow and it’s OK for the boat to over hang the trailer by upto 12” each side I think? The regs also put a length restitction on but then says unless the trailer is specifically built for transporting boats.

Not that any of this helps you but thought you might be Intrested.

Edited by 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK

102" is 8.5', so the boats are fine. But yes, as soon as you add in the guide posts, you are too wide, legally. I've never been pulled over or heard of it. Now, I did have friends in Fla that were towing 9.5' beam boats without permits, one did get pulled over and warned. He had to get an oversized permit or something that cost him $50 a year or so, no flags or signs needed though. Just a little piece of paper in the glove box. Funny how that $50 paper makes your vehicle more safe to be on the road...

• Like 4