Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Storing your deep cycle in colder temps


Recommended Posts

I pulled my battery  (group 27 deep cycle) after a full charge in the fall.  Put it up on a few 2x4s to get it off the concrete in my partially heated garage (stays around 45 degrees).  Covered terminals with plastic caps for safety and that's it. 

 

Do I need a tender on it?  Is it better off in my 65* basement?  Wondering what you all have luck with.  Want this thing to last a long time.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Pra4sno said:

Do I need a tender on it?

Ideally, if there is access to a 110 outlet where the boat stays, a marine on-board charger is worth the investment. No more pulling and hauling battery(s) around, putting them back in in spring, hoping you got all the cables reconnected, etc. Park boat, plug in charger, done. The answer to your question, depends on the "tender" cheap basic traditional "tenders' pardon the pun, tend to deliver a constant charge while connected. Over a long layup, this will do more harm to the battery then just leaving it in the boat making sure it was fully charged. 

Wooden blocks are a good way to protect the concrete floor, but its no longer needed with modern batteries in plastic housings. So no need to worry about a battery bleeding down setting on any surface.

Warmer storage is always better then colder, but I wouldnt worry about a 45* garage. If you do plan to charger is, need to take into account where its going to be. Keep in mind that a charging battery can give off flammable vapors.  

Is the G-27 deep cycle your one and only battery, or does the boat have a cranking battery also or is the 27 a dual purpose? Deep cycles can crank an engine no problem, but they are not best used as a constant cranking battery. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, MLA said:

Keep in mind that a charging battery can give off flammable vapors. 

Is this the case with sealed batteries and a quality tender too?  If we keep the boat on a lift, with a cover on during the summer, is plugging in the NOCO Genius a bad idea?

Link to comment

Even a sealed or maintenance-free lead acid has a means to vent. So Id rather my boat dock and boat go up, then my house due to a charging battery in the garage or basement. Need to charge in a well vented space and not close to flame source like hot water heaters. Id say a boat with a canvas cover is vented enough and hopefully no sources of ignition for any fumes.  

Link to comment

G27 is my one battery.  

Boat is wrapped, outside, and on my echelon it is only starter cables and aux cables which takes 30 seconds to disconnect and pull.

Good to know on the garage and tender.  It sounds like I can just keep doing what I'm doing!

Edited by Pra4sno
Link to comment

I've go about 6 of these on batteries at temps from 45 degrees (maintained) to unheated pole barn in NW Wisc (minus 20 possible).  Used them for years and have never had a battery go bad over the Winter.  Everything from vented traditional to sealed to group 31 deep cycle to small Waverunner batteries.  MUCH better than the inexpensive "tenders."  Leave them outside with no worries.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITK8S/

Link to comment
On 1/4/2018 at 8:38 AM, MLA said:

Ideally, if there is access to a 110 outlet where the boat stays, a marine on-board charger is worth the investment. No more pulling and hauling battery(s) around, putting them back in in spring, hoping you got all the cables reconnected, etc. Park boat, plug in charger, done. The answer to your question, depends on the "tender" cheap basic traditional "tenders' pardon the pun, tend to deliver a constant charge while connected. Over a long layup, this will do more harm to the battery then just leaving it in the boat making sure it was fully charged. 

Wooden blocks are a good way to protect the concrete floor, but its no longer needed with modern batteries in plastic housings. So no need to worry about a battery bleeding down setting on any surface.

Warmer storage is always better then colder, but I wouldnt worry about a 45* garage. If you do plan to charger is, need to take into account where its going to be. Keep in mind that a charging battery can give off flammable vapors.  

Is the G-27 deep cycle your one and only battery, or does the boat have a cranking battery also or is the 27 a dual purpose? Deep cycles can crank an engine no problem, but they are not best used as a constant cranking battery. 

what on board charger is recommended? Any particular brand or model? 

Edited by Cazan
Typo
Link to comment

@Cazan

The prosport series by a Promariner and the NOCO genius GEN series are good chargers at a friendly price. There are cheap chargers and expensive chargers there are good chargers and bad chargers. What brand and model is best, will depend on your boat's battery setup and amp hour size, how you use and how you store it. The right charger for the job will go longer then just shopping brand. 

Link to comment
17 hours ago, MLA said:

@Cazan

The prosport series by a Promariner and the NOCO genius GEN series are good chargers at a friendly price. There are cheap chargers and expensive chargers there are good chargers and bad chargers. What brand and model is best, will depend on your boat's battery setup and amp hour size, how you use and how you store it. The right charger for the job will go longer then just shopping brand. 

Currently I have one Optima Blue top dual purpose D31M.  I considering relocating from the rear starboard locker to under the observers seat and adding another battery.  Both those look pretty good.  Thanks for your help! 

 

18 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

http://www.promariner.com/en/43021

Will cover your needs.  I have the dual battery, Cabela's branded version of this.  Works fine - I plug the boat in after every use.

Thanks I'll look into it. 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...