Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

02 sunscape sub ideas?

SMLbound

I recently purchased a 02 sunscape and will be rebuilding the sound system this winter. Looking for any ideas/plans for sub placement and box. Should I go with a powered sub or not. I love clean deep bass! I know big ported boxes are the best but I dont want to take up too much storage space... but open to any ideas! Thanks

QBOMB

Many have used one.  Put a Wetsounds sub in it with a 500 watt amp. Keep it off the floor with some bumpers.  Amp brand makes a difference. Marine vs auto not so much if you're not on the ocean.

Enjoy the nice sound!

10 hours ago, SMLbound said:

I dont want to take up too much storage space.

The most ideal spot for a woofer, is under the helm, so no loss of any real storage space. A powered sub like, the Wet Sounds Stealth AS10 or similar, can be a great option for the right application, but I would not rule out doing a custom built enclosure and woofer setup with a traditional external amp. 

4 hours ago, MLA said:

A powered sub like, the Wet Sounds Stealth AS10 or similar, can be a great option for the right application

Do you have experience with this model? ~400 for this, or possibly a little less for a traditionally powered sub?

Just now, MLA said:

@AJwakedevil

Retail is $600, so $400 for a new, unused current production ST-AS10 model is a smoking deal if its from an authorized retailer. 

ebay user.. deff not authorized retailer

There are boat loads of subwoofer build pics on this site. Including my own. Considering the time of year, I'd build one. It's a great winter project. Mine is a 10" Kicker & goes under the driver's side dash.

37327748625_722d2475a1_k.jpg

37327749385_643da1ccd2_k.jpg

36930314290_5c83c17956_k.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

If you're not that ambitious or don't want to spend that much time and/or $$, the QBOMB sounds good and looks OK:

20170708_131044.thumb.jpg.08a00c8daf4e6f9c7b0fb932bc376ca4.jpg

Here it is with a throwable next to it.  Wet Sounds XS-12 powered by an Alpine PDX-V9 sounds great.  You can get the XS-12 for a good price (@ $250) since they are discontinuing it.

40 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Their are boat loads of subwoofer build pics on this site. Including my own. Considering the time of year, I'd build one. It's a great winter project. Mine is a 10" Kicker & goes under the driver's side dash.

37327748625_722d2475a1_k.jpg

37327749385_643da1ccd2_k.jpg

36930314290_5c83c17956_k.jpg

Did you port your heater lines under the sub?

13 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

If you're not that ambitious or don't want to spend that much time and/or $$, the QBOMB sounds good and looks OK:

20170708_131044.thumb.jpg.08a00c8daf4e6f9c7b0fb932bc376ca4.jpg

Here it is with a throwable next to it.  Wet Sounds XS-12 powered by an Alpine PDX-V9 sounds great.  You can get the XS-12 for a good price (@ $250) since they are discontinuing it.

Will the QBOMB fit with the heater option? Currently my heater ducts are mounted to the foot rest.

2 minutes ago, cWonka said:

Will the QBOMB fit with the heater option? Currently my heater ducts are mounted to the foot rest.

You should have plenty of vertical room if you turn the QBOMB "sideways."  There is no real top or bottom.  It's a box.  You'll have to remove the footrest and replace it with something shorter for the ducts.  Tape measure time.

12 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

You should have plenty of vertical room if you turn the QBOMB "sideways."  There is no real top or bottom.  It's a box.  You'll have to remove the footrest and replace it with something shorter for the ducts.  Tape measure time.

Has anyone tried the QBOMB Single 10" Side Ported box or is it too big?

41MEetF0EmL.jpg

1 hour ago, cWonka said:

Did you port your heater lines under the sub?

Mine is not ported, but you could easily do it with that design of box.

48 minutes ago, cWonka said:

Has anyone tried the QBOMB Single 10" Side Ported box or is it too big?

41MEetF0EmL.jpg

Do you know the measurements? Seems like it would be so deep that it would be pretty close to the driver's seat.