Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 21 VLX subwoofer model?

2017vlxpanda

Can anyone comment on the model number for the subwoofer that came in the 2017 21 VLX? Thank you. I'm trying to figure out if it's a free air sub or if it would benefit from a sub enclosure. 

• 1 month later...

Here are the components that make up our 2017 21VLX sound system. 

·         6312038, WS Amp, Subwoofer + Interior, SYN6, Malibu, '17-, Malibu-SYN-DX-DSP-6

·         6312039, WS Amp, Tower Speakers, SYN2, Malibu, '17-, Malibu-SYN-DX-DSP-2

·         6352036.1-BLK, Speaker, Tower, Malibu 8" ICON8 (Coax), Black, Split Sun, Katalyst, '15- (speaker only 6169304-SP)

·         6312032, WS 6.5" Interior Speakers, Malibu, '17-

·         6312035, Malibu 12" Subwoofer , '17-, Malibu-XS-12 S4 v2

And our subs do benefit from a subwoofer box either sealed or ported. Recently had mine ported by our local stereo shop. Will post pictures later this weekend. 

I also upgraded the Icon-8 to Rev10. Now I need to find out if the factory amp can be reprogrammed to maximized the REV10. 

So did you remove the shelf the speaker sits on? Now its mounted directly on tower? I have crawled around on one, boat tested, and racked my head already on that shelf or bracket.

@Choiceind Yes, I removed the shelf the Icon 8 sat on. The shelf is very nice but it does become a hazard if you are not careful. Used the Wetsounds G3 single bracket with the X-mount. Installed directly on the tower. Pretty simple install. 

• 3 years later...
On 9/25/2017 at 4:26 PM, 2017vlxpanda said:

Can anyone comment on the model number for the subwoofer that came in the 2017 21 VLX? Thank you. I'm trying to figure out if it's a free air sub or if it would benefit from a sub enclosure. 

Did you ever verify if the sub was the HP or the Free air. I have same model # sub and trying to find the info. No one can confirm