Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'18 T22 Surfing Drone Footage

Anderson24

Watching you surf on that butter gives me a lot of mixed emotions.  As long as you wakeboarded first, it's OK. ;)

What is the weight distribution?  It looks really back end heavy.  Can you see over the bow?  

1 hour ago, Anderson24 said:

Well I don't think the footage is nearly as exciting as watching guys tear it up on the wakeboard.......

Well regardless of that, your music selection darn sure beats most of the rest out there!

• Like 2

Thanks @Anderson24 for the invite out.  It was a perfect morning for a little surf set.  The T-22 wave was a ton of fun- good length and good push all the way back to the curl.  Had a nice shape and controlling power wedge with the surf band was a nice feature.  

A couple of options that I was not 100% sold on that I wanted on my next boat until after today-

FAE -  Boat was nice and quiet even when running loaded at higher RPM's.    

Hydraulic Steering option- Didn't even know this option existed until today and it was nice.  The steering is definitely more firm and when surf gate is deployed on port side, it does not pull hard to the left like on the standard cable steering.  It just stays nice and straight.  

The new T-22 did not disappoint-  I had a 14 T22 that I spent a ton of hours on getting it tuned right and to see how quickly we can get this one dialed leads me to believe that John has just started to scratch the surface of capabilities on this boat.  

I believe the settings we had on goofy side were front ballast full- center ballast full, rear ballast hard tanks full, and 900lb plug and plays were no more than 80% full.  I liked the wedge at position 3.  Had nice shape and lots of push.

Awesome boat John!  

Edited by Willis717
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Simo said:

Nice Vid. But yeah, that bow rise makes my neck hurt

I must be missing something on the "bow rise" because the driver is just chilling on the bolster seat. He's not straining, lifting his chin up trying to look over the dash. Looks fine to me. I've seen some v-drives where the driver stands to see. 

14 minutes ago, TexasA24 said:

Willis, hydraulic steering was an option at least back to 2014 on Axis, was even listed on my build sheet. 

That is a great option.  I have never custom ordered a boat, as the ones Ive had were used or a dealer inventory one.  Now that I know that option is out there, i certainly liked it.  I guess it depends on the price as to how much I like it  haha

36 minutes ago, Willis717 said:

That is a great option.  I have never custom ordered a boat, as the ones Ive had were used or a dealer inventory one.  Now that I know that option is out there, i certainly liked it.  I guess it depends on the price as to how much I like it  haha

If memory serves its $1200ish....  the easy steering is a huge plus.  

1 hour ago, Raimie said:

Was the hydraulic steering noisy? We have it on a pontoon and during slow speed maneuvering you hear it with every movement of the steering wheel... just curious.

No, have not heard it once. Didn't even know it was possible to hear it. The one thing is does change is that the steering wheel doesn't turn as freely as it does with typical setup. It's a little "stiffer" overall. But like Willis said...it tracks and holds really well. No more pull when surfing. The only reason I ordered it was because my wife always hated that when she drove. Happy wife, happy life. 

Now I am just hoping she complains about the boat being "too small". She already complains that the cushions don't have hinges. (I have a solution for that! :whistle:)

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

She already complains that the cushions don't have hinges. (I have a solution for that! :whistle:)

It's funny, I thought that would bother me when I bought my Axis, but after having it for 4 years, I actually like it better that way. It makes it really easy to store bigger items in the storage areas (like boards) and really easy to clean around the edges of the vinyl and the cracks where the sides meet the seat base. But... in your case... run with that as a negative for sure :lol:

Great video. Somehow I was not aware of this hydraulic steering option either, will definitely have to investigate.

So Anderson, you could see over the bow no issue while on the flip up bolster? How tall are you? 

And this had no extra ballast beyond factory and PnP correct?

24 minutes ago, ADDICTED2WAKE said:

Great video. Somehow I was not aware of this hydraulic steering option either, will definitely have to investigate.

So Anderson, you could see over the bow no issue while on the flip up bolster? How tall are you? 

And this had no extra ballast beyond factory and PnP correct?

I'm 6'7" :dontknow:

But I don't have the flip up bolster. I am actually going to add a seat riser (that was my intent of why I didn't order the seat bolster). I like to sit in a "full" seat...not just the half seat. You need one or the other (well I guess you don't "need" it, but you want it). The bow rise feels similar to my last T22. It honestly doesn't bother me, but I do like to add the seat riser just to have a more comfortable view. 

I know it is more difficult for shorter guys to see over the bow. Which is why I am adding the seat riser. I guess it's an advantage of being tall...but at the same time I hit my head on a lot more things!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2017 at 0:36 PM, Anderson24 said:

I'm 6'7" :dontknow:

But I don't have the flip up bolster. I am actually going to add a seat riser (that was my intent of why I didn't order the seat bolster). I like to sit in a "full" seat...not just the half seat. You need one or the other (well I guess you don't "need" it, but you want it). The bow rise feels similar to my last T22. It honestly doesn't bother me, but I do like to add the seat riser just to have a more comfortable view. 

I know it is more difficult for shorter guys to see over the bow. Which is why I am adding the seat riser. I guess it's an advantage of being tall...but at the same time I hit my head on a lot more things!!

So I demo'd the T22 and A24 photo shoot boats on monday. The T22 did not have power wedge but did have the auto-set wedge, I agree that the bow rise was similar to the current T22. I suspect it'd be a little worse with the power wedge in 1 or 2 clicks down.

Had plenty of torque to get the boat moving and was pleased that the factory ballast surf wake was better than the previous T22 factory wave. The Malibu engineer that was in the boat with me did say that just another 400lb in the bow really makes a big improvement over the stock wave too.Overall really impressed with the new boats, congrats on your purchase.

• Like 2