Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Switched over to "Those who have"

lewistonskier

We were headed for a mid week camping trip last Tuesday, and a few miles before the turn off from the main highway, I felt a bit of vibration.  I slowed down and looked around, but couldn't see anything.  Sped back up and vibration came back.  I slowed back down to make the vibration minimal, and figured I'd fully check it out when we turned off the highway.  When I made the turn, the driver side rear wheel didn't make the turn with me.  Luckily, it rolled off to the side of the road no problem, and the tandem axle trailer handled things just fine.  One lug bolt was missing, and the other 4 were sheered off.  We were about 10 miles from the lake, so we limped the rest of the way there, and then took a more back roads highway home so we could drive slow, and made it home no problem.  Upon further inspection at home while getting ready to repair it, it looks like two of them had broken prior to this season.  Obviously it's too bad this happened, but I'm just happy the loose wheel didn't cause any damage to anyone else and that I never had any trouble controlling the trailer.  It did pick a fine time to leave me...

I now have two questions for getting things repaired. 

1. It is a VM Custom Boat Trailer from 1986.  I believe that they are 3500 lb axles with 1750 lb hubs.  Does anyone know if this is correct? It has the tapered spindle with the inside barring being 1 3/8" and the outside barring being 1 1/16"

2. The hubs that I have use lug bolts, not nuts.  The places that I have thought to look online all have the pins in them set up for lug nuts.  Does anyone know where I could get a hub set up for lug bolts so that things would be consistent for all 4 wheels.

The boat is an '86 Sunsetter which is listed as weighing 5000 lbs