Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

03 Wakesetter Direct Drive

WillyFire

Hi. Couple questions about this boat. 03 wakesetter mid 300 hours not sure which exact model i believe 21xti? Anyways I never really thought I would be able to get into a Malibu but have found a few in my price range including this one. Other one is near 1000hours so probaly be staying away from it. Looking for a boat for our young family of 5. We have up to 10 people occasionally but for shorter periods. We mainly used our 19' i/o (just sold) for kids tubing skiing and just hanging out on the water. Adults slalom ski (recreational) and kneeboard wakeboard occasionally. We have never had the opportunity to surf but this is our main reason for looking for a cross over style of boat. I have only ever owned and driven i/o boats and have actully never been on a dd or v-drive. It comes with a 500 fatsac is in real good condition. I do know what to look out for mechanically and will make sure it has a complete inspection before purchase but this one seems very well taken care of and malibu dealer serviced and stored every year. This is priced similar to some of the other brands Centurion/moomba that I have been looking at. Anyways whats everyone's thoughts would a malibu like this hold its value over the other brands. Is there any questions I should specifivally be asking for this boat (I do a very thorough history check and try to gather as many details as I can) Thanks for any input. If it goes through im sure I will have many more questions. 

IMG_4452.jpgIMG_4451.jpg

We had 10 in our 19' i/o and managed more then a few times this summer. 5 adults 5 kids is it comfortable no but ok for a few hours. thanks i will look into the lxi specs. nada does not have a 03 wakesetter lxi just 02 maybe this is a 2002?

Edited by WillyFire

If you are wanting a comfortable boat for that many people, you won't be happy in a direct drive.  We have a family of 5 and we used a 21' Centurion Elite vdrive for years and it was great.  We recently were bleases with an opportunity to upgrade to a malibu and it's very nice.  But don't buy the brand - buy the boat that meets your needs.  

Just my $.02.

• Like 1

And the centurion elite vdrive in the 2000-2005 model years should be selling right around  $20k.

The malibu is a step up in quality/luxury,  it in your orice range might be a step down in space and comfort for your crew.

Ok, $.04.

ok i should have stated im not really worried about size. If i could afford a v-drive and find one i would definitely go that route but have not come across any in the last 30 days that were not junk. 95% of the time it will be 2 or 3 adults and 2 or 3 small kids. just looking for general information about this boat. nada shows it valued at 4500 more then a centurion ive looked at yet sale prices are very close. from what i can tell malibu holds it value well.  i will more then likely upgrade within a few years. 

As you know this is designed for slalom and boarding. That boat is one of the best made for doing those things. It's either an Lxi or an LX (Sunsetter hull) with Wakesetter graphics. I think it's a little newer than 02. 

Steve B.

ok owner is getting a full video and facetime in the next few hours. unfortunately this wont last at the price he has it at and he knows so i will have to decide fairly soon. he states for sure it is 03 as per hull id. it is located where we take our summer vacation every year 14 hours away. I have family that will be looking at it for me but they are pretty limited on knowledge so will be just confirming basically for me.   

2 hours ago, WillyFire said:

We had 10 in our 19' i/o and managed more then a few times this summer. 5 adults 5 kids is it comfortable no but ok for a few hours. thanks i will look into the lxi specs. nada does not have a 03 wakesetter lxi just 02 maybe this is a 2002?

That boat isn't an I/O, it sits 4" off the water and will be nearly underwater with 10 people in it.  My inlaws have an 04 LXI that I ski behind frequently.  Great ski boat, not a good boat for a lot of people to ride around in.

Also - whatever site you are hosting those pictures on makes Malwarebytes fire off warnings.

Price wise its worth around 18-20K

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

That boat isn't an I/O, it sits 4" off the water and will be nearly underwater with 10 people in it.  My inlaws have an 04 LXI that I ski behind frequently.  Great ski boat, not a good boat for a lot of people to ride around in.

Also - whatever site you are hosting those pictures on makes Malwarebytes fire off warnings.

Price wise its worth around 18-20K

That is not a response lxi. I believe it's the wakesetter edition of the sunsetter LX. Will sit much higher off the water than your FIL's rlxi. 5 will be manageable in that boat imo. 

8 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

That is not a response lxi. I believe it's the wakesetter edition of the sunsetter LX. Will sit much higher off the water than your FIL's rlxi. 5 will be manageable in that boat imo. 

edit - this shows it as a 21

in any event, a test drive is in order.  Having come from an i/o you cant really compare until you sit in it with all your people.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

Good points. Price is good like I say. Im pretty confident if I get it and it's not right for bus I will be able to get at least my money back out of it in spring. I could almost bet I could get 2-3000 more.  I have spoke with the Malibu service manager who has seen this boat for the last 6 years and he has gave me the full details which are all good. Owner said he has had up to 11 in it. Is this hull very flat or do they have some v to them for a little choppier water? 

One of my ski buds has one. It skis well at 36 but I have not skied it slower. We also ski at 35'off. It sit quite hi in the water so larger groups should be fine. I am thinking seven or so people. It will be short of roomy seating for seven or more. You could ski or board off the tower and use the rear seat but you will feel it. Its not going to track as well!  Nice solid feeling boat. My bud does ski board and surf his but I don't know how much sacking he has. I have never boarded or surfed it. No interest.  It looks nice.

Thanks sixball. 

On another note a guy sent me a message he will drop the price to get rid of a 07 Malibu xti. I'm not sure if it's the 22 or 23 xti. 350 hours original owner. Anyways It will be around 7000usd more then this 03. It's about 7000usd more then I should spend but wow it sure looks worth it haha. How could I hide that price from my wife. Nada values it about 16000 usd more. 

Edited by WillyFire

These are considered modified V's I think. But to me they act more like flat bottom's in the chop. Not so good. But for skiing they are absolute top notch. No biggie with 5 adults. I do it with ease and plenty off space on my 02.

Steve B.

Thanks Steve B looks like your 02 LXI has the SV23 Diamond hull. This 03 wakesetter has just the SV23. From what i gather the non diamond is a little deeper if im reading things correct? 

Um, I dont think deeper. Just an extremely minor design change of the bottom. Supposedly that difference lifts the LXi a little bit at speed. I have both hulls. Both ski and wakeboard great. 

Steve B.