Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"Malibu's marine engine" opinion

stork

We have absolutely loved our 2006 Wakesetter 23 LSV.  It has been the perfect boat for our family and been very reliable. As the family has grown and we spend more time surfing I have been looking at upgrading to a new 23 LSV in another year. I have been happy with our upgraded Hammerhead motor. The current 2018 boats use a Ford marinized engine and I would upgrade to the supercharged option. But there is much talk about Malibu switching their engines to a GMC block again but marinizing them "in-house" for 2019.  That is right when I planned on upgrading but am very concerned going with a whole new engine that is developed "in-house", especially for the first couple of years. I have confidence that Malibu would take care of any issues to make it right, but I really do not want to have my boat ever in the shop-I have been really spoiled with our nearly flawless 2006 LSV.  I really wanted to wait another full year but is it better to upgrade with the current engine offerings, or take my chance with a new offering in 2019? Is the current supercharged engine a reliable engine? Or even worth the upgrade for the new 23 LSV? 

The biggest complaints I hear of the current Ford setup is noise.   In terms of reliability, I can't recall hearing of any major issues on this site.   Most love the power and the overall Ford setup, including myself.  Although it seems the current GM offerings may burn less fuel, which would be nice, but I didn't buy the boat to surf and expect good fuel economy.    There is an entire thread on the new Malibu engines - not too many details are known yet, but you can read everyone's opinions. 

Are you at elevation?  The SC option is cool, but not necessary for most folks.  The new LSV is a bit heavier with the new hull but the 450 option will likely get the job done for most owners in it.  The current 410 is great in my opinion for most of us, especially that aren't at high elevations.   

There seem to be a lot of engines throwing codes lately.  Not something I'm tracking or anything, but there do seem to be more threads about error code conditions than I ever recall with GM power.

Didn't Malibu hire some engine rockstars to do their marinizing (marinating) work?

I did check out the other thread and am now not as worried about a Malibu engine.  I will probably wait for at least the second year to allow them to get the kinks worked out.  Good thing our 2006 is going strong and is reliable.  I was just hoping to get the automated surf system a bit sooner.  We do have a killer surf wake but it takes filling additional ballast and attaching the Ronix velcro wedge.  I have liked my GM engine and how quiet it is.  I do appreciate all the knowledge represented here on theMalibucrew.com. 

Edited by stork
9 hours ago, UWSkier said:

There seem to be a lot of engines throwing codes lately.  Not something I'm tracking or anything, but there do seem to be more threads about error code conditions than I ever recall with GM power.

Didn't Malibu hire some engine rockstars to do their marinizing (marinating) work?

Yes. Cannot go into details.

The noise issue was unique to the 2016. There are no problems on my 2017. Demo the boat and see if it's acceptable.

Edited by Sailvi767
1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

My 2017 is also quieter than my 16.  No FAE on either one.

Different tranny's/ratios possibly?   Have a 16 not too bad but is a little loud at high rpms.. I miss the SC scream.

Anyways the volume knob fixes everything

26 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Different tranny's/ratios possibly?   Have a 16 not too bad but is a little loud at high rpms.. I miss the SC scream.

Anyways the volume knob fixes everything

yes my rpms are definitely down but seems quieter overall.

23LSV are same ratios in 16 and 17 and 17 owners report they are quieter, so doubt it is solely that.  My 16 doesn't bother me - if it weren't for this forum, doubt I would even think about the noise.