Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

02 Wakesetter VLX Project

Jpeak

So, last year around August a friend of mine called to tell me about a deal on a boat in Miami, FL that couldn't be passed up. I live in Nashville, TN and have been wanting a boat for years. So, three of us pilled up and drove to Miami. This is what the girl looked like when we got her. For you wake boarders out there, this use to be Jimmy LaRiche's boat, It actually still has his last name stickered on the trailer lol. Anyway, it was pretty messy when I picked it up, since it had been at a ski school as a camera boat for a couple of years.

r79sjy5.jpg

Edited by Jpeak

here is a better side view. I just ordered new decals for the boat since the old ones are shot. This boat has been an adventure for sure, but our family loves the boat. I cant believe the wake this thing throws for being 17 yrs. old

oT3ZBrG.jpg

On 8/4/2017 at 9:05 AM, Jpeak said:

I bought the boat for $10,000. it was in dire need of some love. Here are some updated pics from recent. I spent around 40 hrs wet sanding and buffing the boat. New interior, new stereo, and a lot of maintenance.

F01vdPC.jpg

How do you get your wedge down?

I jump in the water and lower the Wedge. It has a newer style floating Wedge. I'm not sure why mine doesn't have the access door on the swim platform. I don't use it that often though. My Surf wake is actually better without the wedge down since I bought a surf gate.

3 minutes ago, Jpeak said:

I jump in the water and lower the Wedge. It has a newer style floating Wedge. I'm not sure why mine doesn't have the access door on the swim platform. I don't use it that often though. My Surf wake is actually better without the wedge down since I bought a surf gate.

Really?  I had the same hull but with manual wedge & we couldn't surf without it.  We also used a ghetto gate

here is my wake with just me in the boat, both rear ballast (stock) full and the surf gate on. When I load the boat up it is way nicer than this, just wanted to give you an idea of mine without the Wedge down. Maybe because mine is a floating wedge it distorts the wave?

OPLtHO8.jpg

Edited by Jpeak

If you don't mind, how much did you invest in time/money restoring this?  I just picked up an 02 VLX this year also.  It's in pretty good shape, but I do need new seat skins for a couple cushions.  I'd be curious where you got yours and what it cost :-D

I spent a lot of time wet sanding and buffing the boat. I learned so much doing it all though. I feel that I was fortunate with the cost of interior. I scheduled a date with Chris Phillips last year around October, dropped my boat off to him in Knoxville, and picked the boat up in January. I told him to take all the time he needed, since it was winter, and it looks incredible. I get compliments on how good the interior looks all the time. I dont have the patience to do the skins myself. I paid $4000 for new interior installed. Everyone I spoke with here in Nashville wanted $6,000-$7,000 to do my interior and the didn't have patterns like Chris does. He has all of the Malibu patterns until like 2011 I think. He's a great guy and does amazing work, but he is always booked because of this. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions about the boat. I have spent weeks of my life researching this boat lol

58 minutes ago, Jpeak said:

I spent a lot of time wet sanding and buffing the boat. I learned so much doing it all though. I feel that I was fortunate with the cost of interior. I scheduled a date with Chris Phillips last year around October, dropped my boat off to him in Knoxville, and picked the boat up in January. I told him to take all the time he needed, since it was winter, and it looks incredible. I get compliments on how good the interior looks all the time. I dont have the patience to do the skins myself. I paid $4000 for new interior installed. Everyone I spoke with here in Nashville wanted $6,000-$7,000 to do my interior and the didn't have patterns like Chris does. He has all of the Malibu patterns until like 2011 I think. He's a great guy and does amazing work, but he is always booked because of this. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions about the boat. I have spent weeks of my life researching this boat lol

Can you pm me his contact info. Boat looks great.