Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Reprogramming Factory Wetsounds Amps

mikeakatex5

Have any '17 Malibu owners with the factory WS amps had them reprogrammed?  I did the last stereo in my Axis myself and I feel that the factory hardware in these boats is good but just needs a little extra kick.  What I'd like to do is add amp(s) for Rev10s and repurpose the existing amps to provide a little extra to the existing interior equipment.  See my plan for my 23LSV below:

6 channel (DX6): CH 1-4 = 125x4 for the 4 Revo6s, CH 5-6 300x2 for the 4 Revo8s (150 each)

2 channel (DX2): Bridged 750x1 for the subwoofer, with a ported enclosure built for it

I would then use my Arc 300.4 to run the existing pair of Rev8s on the tower or upgrade to Rev10s

There are a couple of really good marine installers relatively close to me that I will run these ideas by, but I am curious if TMC has any thoughts on it.  I have no idea how these new DSP amps work.  If it were RCAs and crossovers... I would be posting how it turned out already.

Edited by mikeakatex5
7 hours ago, mikeakatex5 said:

I have no idea how these new DSP amps work.

They work like any other amp. However, the signal comes in on a different style cable rather then RCAs and the amp's setting are tuned on a computer, rather then dials on the face of the amp. In reality, these DSP amp offer more tuning flexibility of most traditional amps. 

I like the plan to re-purpose the OEM amps in order to upgrade the tower setup. 

• Like 1

I'd recommend more power on the Rev's.  The 300.4 is weak IMO.  The SyndDX2.3HP is a good choice, or a Syndx4 for a little less.  Use the Syndx6 for the in-boats, syndx2 for the subs.

The OEM amps have a processor built in, and only specific dealers and OEM's have access to the tuning software.

@jonyb I do plan to move to the DX 2.3HP if I go to 2 sets of revs on the towers.  That and I'd like to get another Malibu emblem and have all my amps match ?.  For the short term a bridged 300.4 to a pair of revs is no slouch.  I had it on my last boat and the things screamed (in a good way).

There are rumors that rev10s will be available for the 2018 models. I would guess that would mean a bigger amp for the rev10s. If that's true, you should be able to get the bigger Malibu/wetsounds amp shortly. 

40 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

There are rumors that rev10s will be available for the 2018 models. I would guess that would mean a bigger amp for the rev10s. If that's true, you should be able to get the bigger Malibu/wetsounds amp shortly. 

If that's true, it will be interesting to see what ungodly sum they charge once you get wetsounds, the factory, and a dealer markup involved.

• Like 3

So are there adapters to integrate an aftermarket amp to the factory system?  Just trying to understand the setup.  I feel the current 2 amp setup in my boat is underpowered going to the Rev 8s.  I'm not seeing any options other than  order ing another amp from Malibu and then I'm assuming it comes with the cables to add to the factory system.

Thanks 

Icon

My understanding is yes, there is a converter to go from the OEM connector to traditional RCA. However, with a schematic, you can make this conversion yourself I believe.

As to buying a 2nd amp. IMO. Installing a 2nd Syn-dx2DSP would make little difference, unless you have one pair of speakers and planes to run each bridged on their own Syndx2DSP. The issue then is, the new Malibu dx2dsp amp would be programmed with the same OEM 2 chnl stereo configuration as the current. 

If you have 2 pair, id swap the OEM Syn-dx2DSP for the Wet Sounds Syn-DX2.3HP. 

I would not assume that a new amp from Bu comes with any cables as a 3 amp setup is not a factory option, Any OEM cables would have to be ordered a la carte   

Ok I think I got it.  Thanks MLA.  I'll track down the connectors or build my own and then determine my next steps i.e. Amp.   I believe I saw a thread regarding the connectors required and how to create them.

• 2 weeks later...

So just wanted to update on the info provided to me regarding reprogramming the factory Wetsounds amps.

The Wetsounds dealer I spoke with said that Wetsounds is not allowing anyone outside of the factory program the amps.  In addition the amps are 'tuned down' to cut down on warranty claims.  Apparently the only way to improve is remove and replace:lame:

I figured I would lose my warranty by messing with factory programming which is understandable, but now I am really regretting not going full stereo delete when I ordered.  Has anyone inquired and heard anything different, or does anyone know if these amps can be 'hacked and reprogrammed?  I mean at the end of the day they are SynDX6s and SynDX2s, right?

Edited by mikeakatex5
13 hours ago, spikew919 said:

My understating is that dealers can get the dongle and software from Wetsounds to reprogram the factory amps. I may be wrong. 

You are correct. 

13 hours ago, mikeakatex5 said:

I believe @ConnollyCrew had a non OEM WS amp.  Hopefully I am wrong...

I have an SD 4 on inboats, SD2 on sub and Chris @ AVC Marine reflashed the syndx4 dsp to run 2 channel bridged to run my Rev 10's@ 400 watts rms. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

I have an SD 4 on inboats, SD2 on sub and Chris @ AVC Marine reflashed the syndx4 dsp to run 2 channel bridged to run my Rev 10's@ 400 watts rms. 

Thanks @ConnollyCrew I did talk to AVC Marine and it is possible to reprogram but I'm going to have to find a shop in my area willing to do the workaround they used.  That's a quality shop you have out there.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Well it looks like stereo upgrade will be the top of my list for this winter.  None of my local shops will touch the factory amps and all suggest pulling them out and starting over.  While this may end up being the way I go, I would like to take a crack at these things myself if at all possible.  Does anyone know what kind of connector the dsp port is (pictured below)?  I was hoping it correlates with something in the Arc Audio line as I think they are designed by the same people.

37418909971_341715229b_b.jpgIMG_0378 by M Vasquez, on Flickr

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2017 at 4:17 PM, Icon said:

Ok I think I got it.  Thanks MLA.  I'll track down the connectors or build my own and then determine my next steps i.e. Amp.   I believe I saw a thread regarding the connectors required and how to create them.

Any update on finding the connectors?

On 8/4/2017 at 2:47 PM, mikeakatex5 said:

Thanks @ConnollyCrew I did talk to AVC Marine and it is possible to reprogram but I'm going to have to find a shop in my area willing to do the workaround they used.  That's a quality shop you have out there.

I would think you could pull the amps and send to AVC.  @ConnollyCrew that ‘18 sure looked good on the water.  Ready to see what’s in store for this one.

• Like 1
On 11/5/2017 at 6:03 PM, sChamblee said:

I would think you could pull the amps and send to AVC.  @ConnollyCrew that ‘18 sure looked good on the water.  Ready to see what’s in store for this one.

I did ask them if they would do that, but they said they wouldn't do it without the boat because they would be unable to test the amps and make sure everything programmed correctly and sounded good.