Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

17 T22 bow ballast bag not draining

NMG1973

Last week I installed a Sumo 650 triangle bag in my 2017 T22. I can get it to fill just fine, but not drain. I hooked the fill (one with the valve) on top, the shorter line (drain from what I understand?) that was in the Y connector in the bottom right corner and the longer (supposed to be vent?) on the bottom left. It will fill quickly, but I have tried everything I can think of to get it to drain, but no luck. Anyone have a solution or if I have the hook up wrong?

Thanks

Might be a priming issue, can you hear the pump running?  Sounds like you have it hooked up correctly.

My pump was zip tied up too high, and by lowering it, I fixed my priming issue.

Yeah I can hear the pump running, but I haven't tracked down where it is to check the position of the pump......could be a possibility. I have read where people will put the fill lower and the vent on top also........

The instructions weren't very clear at all. I will switch that around when I get back up to the lake...hopefully that may make some difference. Thanks!

I had a similar issue with my T22 bow bag pretty regularly. I'd give it a firm poke with my foot with the drain on and it'd be enough to prime the pump and start draining. 

And by poke I mean a nice solid quick step on the bag. 

I had the vent on top, drain on bottom right and fill on bottom left when facing forward. 

I have the same bow bag but with a reversible pump.   For this bag only I fill from the port side hole with no vent.  If I have air in the bag I just unscrew the top fitting to bleed it out.  Drains flat as a pancake and works perfect. 

I actually stuck a sumo pump on that top port, but it didn't drain anything either. It's my buddies pump so I may have done something wrong......I didn't have a ton of water in it in the first place because I didn't want to not be able to get it out if it didn't drain.........

ahopkins22LSV

Shouldn't the vent line always be on top so as the bag is filling the air will actually be vented out? I have no idea if this will solve your draining problem but I'd try switching the fill and vent line. 

• Like 2
On 7/12/2017 at 8:32 PM, MJR63 said:

I have the same bow bag but with a reversible pump.   For this bag only I fill from the port side hole with no vent.  If I have air in the bag I just unscrew the top fitting to bleed it out.  Drains flat as a pancake and works perfect. 

That's because you have a reversible pump. You never hear of people having any problems with them (filling, draining, auto draining etc) They do what they are designed to do without the added headaches