Sign in to follow this  
Malibu_Monkey

water in motor?

Malibu_Monkey

should there be water draining out of my exhaust when I pull out of the water? It is hot water, and it only comes out of the driver side. Is this normal?

SunriseH2OSkier

Uh, yeah. This is how your exhaust manifolds stay cool enough for use on a boat. If you don't have water coming out of the exhaust, you aren't going to be running very long. Water is pumped directly into the exaust manifolds where it mixes with the engine exhaust gas and the spits out the back.

Not sure why you would only see it coming out the driver side though. Maybe your driver side flapper (exhaust outlet) doesn't close as tightly and is letting more water in after the engine shuts off?

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

BlastRlxi

Perfectly normal. SunriseH2OSkier is right. When you pull the boat out, the water you see is just water that was between the header and the transom of the boat. It just gravity feeds out the back. Not sure why it's just one side unless you have the silent rider muffler and it all just runs out one side of it.

jgouveia3

i'd check to make sure that the other side manifold/riser is not clogged/corroded if it is not draining out of both.

Malibu_Monkey

Thanks, I thought it should be draining, but wasn't sure y only on 1 side. I will check the side that is not draining. I do believe the flapper dosen't close as much on the driver side. Thanks again guys.

MoonDawg

If you splash a bit of water on the exhaust manifolds after running the engine and it does not sizzle then there is water running through the manifolds. They would be somewhere in the 600-800 degree range if there was no water.

The heads are hot even with water running. maybe in the 200-300 degree range so be careful what you touch when the cover is up.