Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'16 25LSV Demo Boat...Would you?!?!

Kblagg

Looking at a demo model 25LSV that is pretty well optioned.  Boat has less than 50 hours on it and the price is ~35% off MSRP.  Good deal?  What are your thoughts on 23 vs 25LSV?

Any particular gotchas with going with the 25 vs the 23?  Any particular extras I should get for it?

Edited by Kblagg
more info

I'd prefer the 25. I've got a 247 and everything else just seems to small after being in mine. Even if it's just my wife and I, we love the extra space. Takes more weight to produce, but wave is much bigger

ahopkins22LSV

The 25 is my favorite boat in the wakesetter lineup. The surfwave is awesome on both sides. It has loads and loads of storage and seating. Yet still drives very good. 

What are the options of the boat and we can be a bit more help with price but 35% off msrp sounds pretty good!

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

The 25 is my favorite boat in the wakesetter lineup. The surfwave is awesome on both sides. It has loads and loads of storage and seating. Yet still drives very good. 

What are the options of the boat and we can be a bit more help with price but 35% off msrp sounds pretty good!

Trailer with 18's, 575HP motor, G4 tower, 2 sets of Wetsound Rev8s, all the normal surf hardware.

Any gotchas with going with a dealer demo vs New?

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
Just now, Kblagg said:

Trailer with 18's, 575HP motor, G4 tower, 2 sets of Wetsound Rev8s, all the normal surf hardware.

Well the only thing I can think of is that it's going to have 50 hours instead of the 1 or so from the factory. But it should be sold as new so full warranty so that wouldn't bug me at all. If you like the boat go with it! We bought our boat as a one year old demo. Saved a ton of money. Never regretted it. 

And that sounds quite loaded. I guess the only ther thing is you aren't able to pick the colors. But most of the new boats I have seen at the dealers lately have been very good looking. 

34 minutes ago, Stevo said:

2016 25 is the 15inch prop right? What tranny

the big motor will help push the weight when loaded tho.

Yes, looks like it the 25 LSV with 575 has the 2277 as standard.

I dont know anything about this lines pricing, but sounds pretty nice. As said above a full warranty, etc.

Good luck and let us know !

Steve B.

Just another thought. I'm wondering how close, etc. the dealer is to you. With a new boat, a good close dealership might be a big plus.

Edited by Steve B.
add info
9 hours ago, Steve B. said:

I dont know anything about this lines pricing, but sounds pretty nice. As said above a full warranty, etc.

Good luck and let us know !

Steve B.

Just another thought. I'm wondering how close, etc. the dealer is to you. With a new boat, a good close dealership might be a big plus.

This one isn't at my local dealer but I'm going to talk with the local guys to see what they can offer, but this one has everything (plus more) that we would be looking for.  

I went demo boat.  With the discount, which is the same range that you are being offered, I liked that the initial 50 hours were on it and that any initial issues were known and fixed.  I was also impatient when I bought mine and the demo was going to get me on the water within days.

We almost traded our 23 in on a 25 after one year.  Still considering it, but the delta in price is too much.

As for pricing, I would talk to your local dealer.  I was ready to go out of state to buy a demo boat, and my local dealer really sharpened his pencil.  I am very glad I bought local, as I had a number of issues in year one and two.

As far as 'Gotcha' sort of things, I would get the warranty in writing.  I have heard of restrictions on demo boats, and one that I have heard is that the boat is not considered new if it has more than 40 hours.  I may be making that up, but that is why I would get it in writing, and who the warranty is from.  Sometimes a dealer takes a boat, uses it as a personal boat, putting plenty of hours on it, then sells it as a 'demo' boat that is outside of the regular guidelines as far as number of hours.  Then the warranty is only through the dealer, not Malibu.  That is why the manufacturer likely has an hour restriction as to what constitutes a demo boat.  

Otherwise, I would not hesitate to get a demo boat.  It probably wasn't broken in correctly, and was surfed and wakeboarded with full ballast from day 1, but you may find some differing opinions as to whether that matters anyway.  

ahopkins22LSV
58 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

As far as 'Gotcha' sort of things, I would get the warranty in writing.  I have heard of restrictions on demo boats, and one that I have heard is that the boat is not considered new if it has more than 40 hours.  I may be making that up, but that is why I would get it in writing, and who the warranty is from.  Sometimes a dealer takes a boat, uses it as a personal boat, putting plenty of hours on it, then sells it as a 'demo' boat that is outside of the regular guidelines as far as number of hours.  Then the warranty is only through the dealer, not Malibu.  That is why the manufacturer likely has an hour restriction as to what constitutes a demo boat.  

Otherwise, I would not hesitate to get a demo boat.  It probably wasn't broken in correctly, and was surfed and wakeboarded with full ballast from day 1, but you may find some differing opinions as to whether that matters anyway.  

I have never heard of any of that. It all depends on of the boat was titled originally. We bought lots as a demo, one year old 150 hours with full factory warranty. No hoops to jump through for anything because we were the first titled owners. This is how I have seen every promo and demo boat advertised. 

Yes, it's good to have the warranty info in writing but there should be zero issues with getting full factory warranty. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, store934 said:

For what it's worth at the end of 2016 I picked my 25 for about the same % off so I think you are in ballpark but markets do very. 

I would think at this time of the year, plus it is going to be a two year old boat soon. I would definitely hold out for a better price. I have a '17 23lsv and I love, but if I had a need for a 25lsv, I would have gone with that. Everyone I know who owns a 25 loves it.

15 hours ago, sy1616 said:

I'd rather a boat with those hours, saves the headache of having to get 5-10 things fixed.  Typical crappy Malibu build quality, lack of QA stuff.

Psshhhhhhhh...

typical crappy Wally post. 

• Like 2

Went and measured a 25LSV today with same trailer/18" wheels and it looks like it may be too high for my garage with the G4 tower.

While there, I also looked at the 24MXZ and think I like it better.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
56 minutes ago, Kblagg said:

Went and measured a 25LSV today with same trailer/18" wheels and it looks like it may be too high for my garage with the G4 tower.

While there, I also looked at the 24MXZ and think I like it better.

With the tower folded down?

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

With the tower folded down?

Yes.  Garage door is 8'.  Seems like the G4 tower doesn't go as low.  Local dealer said they would bring a 24mxz and/or 25lsv  by and we'd see if it would fit instead of going by taking measurements at the dealership so that's another reason I'm more likely to pursue an option with the local dealer.

47 minutes ago, Kblagg said:

Yes.  Garage door is 8'.  Seems like the G4 tower doesn't go as low.  Local dealer said they would bring a 24mxz and/or 25lsv  by and we'd see if it would fit instead of going by taking measurements at the dealership so that's another reason I'm more likely to pursue an option with the local dealer.

The G4 will go below the height of the windshield when lowered but you may have to pull off the racks each time to make it fit since those will stick up higher when the tower is folded.

14 minutes ago, NWBU said:

The G4 will go below the height of the windshield when lowered but you may have to pull off the racks each time to make it fit since those will stick up higher when the tower is folded.

Racks off is easy and 1 set screw. 

On 7/7/2017 at 11:13 PM, Kblagg said:

Yes, looks like it the 25 LSV with 575 has the 2277 as standard.

you will probably want that as your torque prop and could handle pitching up easily with that SC engine!, the 2277 is probably a good go-to for the 450hp

i debated long and hard on the 23 vs 25....  25 blows the 23 away period.. way better wave, easier wave to handle, does NOT require bow sac.. way more storage/deeper storage, and still drives like a sports car... amazing frankly..much easier to get surfing than the 23lsv and longest wave period! you dont relize it until your surfing parallel with other boats. 

the only other option i would have liked is that monster engine to lower rpms. but didnt have that option 

2016 is a good bet because you get less DRAFT than the 2017 models... a PLUS in many ways for shallow waters/sandbars etc..  not to mention you dont have to do the break in period since its a demo and you can get a good deal!, or even better in 1 month when 18s hit the water. (although this is double edge sword if trading in) friend is in this situation but a 23lsv.

with the 575 i would jump on it and i would not be concerned about the lesser tranny ratio compared to the 17s. 

dealer demo i purchased with roughly 50hrs, great because several kinks worked out before i took her home, and you still get the warranty, dont quote me on this but i think the dealers are suppose to sell them at something around 50hrs but malibu is somewhat flexible on that give or take some hrs. So i would use that to your power, and the price WILL drop in August despite what they say. just depends if they will then give you less on your trade in if your doing that come august.

coming from a 23lsv...i could NEVER go back...

and frankly speaking i think the 25 lsv will carry a better resale than the mxz.. Traditional Bow is making a comeback. and i'm sure the 25 is a bit cheaper than a new MXZ

happy shopping!

Edited by The Hulk
On 7/7/2017 at 8:43 PM, Kblagg said:

The 575HP and G4 is not normal stuff. Those are $15K options (over 450 and G3). The 25 is the best boat on the water in my opinion. I can go back and forth between the 23LSV and 25LSV as a driver and there isn't much difference.  The extra room is amazing and so is the additional planing surface.  Behind the boat, standard 25 wake = 23 wake loaded down, but they are both very similar in shape.