Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'17 21VLX Surf setup

TSP4

Hi all - we get to start playing around with our new boat in May but we did add PnP 550 sacks to the right and left rear lockers with the purchase. Really hoping I can get away with stock ballast and the extra 1100 pounds of weight, with some people up front perhaps, for a family new to surfing (we're mostly wakeboarders but we want to surf too). I too got into this boat because I wanted to avoid the use of ballast bags on the floor :)

Should I be fine?

@WhiteWaterWeb you will be surprised with the surf wave with just the stock ballast in the boat. I have a video with my dad surfing behind the boat and two people in the boat and all stock ballast. The 21VLX doesn't like to much weight in the rear without adding 200-500 lbs in the front. Have fun you'll love the boat. 

12 hours ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Hi all - we get to start playing around with our new boat in May but we did add PnP 550 sacks to the right and left rear lockers with the purchase. Really hoping I can get away with stock ballast and the extra 1100 pounds of weight, with some people up front perhaps, for a family new to surfing (we're mostly wakeboarders but we want to surf too). I too got into this boat because I wanted to avoid the use of ballast bags on the floor :)

Should I be fine?

If you have the 550 totally full, you will want to make sure to have a few people in the bow.  

Agree with Panda, you’ll be surprised at how good the wave is for a 21footer.  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Should I be fine?

yes, you will be more than fine.  In fact, the wave is really quite good.  Something is off with original OP.  

So for $30000.00 more, I can not buy $750 worth of bags and connections and I can surf without pnp!  Hmmmm

avtually I have to admit that was one reasonably long regular wave with no pnp and since surfers in video are complete newb surfers on regular side, I feel like I could tear up that wave anc surf it pretty far back(though I know GoPro distorts things, actually makes wave smaller snd folks look further back). I’m a regular surf who prefers goofy and obviously I would be more than pleased with goofy wave stock without pnp

si if I was going to go Malibu it definetly would be a 21 vlx at 80000 including pw2, no brainer

ON second thought 80750 would be better and bigger

Edited by granddaddy55

Agreed. The 21 VLX is one of the best boat deals in the market. I almost went for a 2017 Mastercraft X10 (surfed and wakeboarded it...nice), or a Mastercraft XT21...but I really preferred the 21 VLX over the XT21. The X10 is a better boat than the Xt21 (the XT21 doesn't even have gas fills on both sides) but there was just something about the Malibu sales team/company I liked a lot better. They never beat up any other manufacturer...but Mastercraft sales people were all over Bu on gas consumption, resale value, wake shaping capability, etc.

After doing some research to see Mastercraft pays royalties to Malibu because of patents/licensing I was sold on Bu.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I know with our Axis A22 it made a difference also between when the gas tank was full and as it started going down where and how much weight I needed up front to get the same wave.  Just picked up our new 22 VLX so can't wait to see how the wave will be different in it.