Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf pipe installation for 2016 25LSV

Dfowkes

I ordered a surf pipe from Fresh Air Exhaust.  It arrived today and I'm going to install it myself on Friday.  Any tips or tricks that anyone is aware of would be greatly appreciated.  I have a 2016 25LSV with a single exhaust outlet and Power Wedge II.  The process looks fairly straight forward but I thought I would ask the Crew before I started taking everything apart.

• 1 month later...

Can't help with the install but once you've had surf pipe I'm not sure you can go back. Great option.  Had a 25lsv loaner over the weekend with no surf pipe.  Sucked in a lot exhaust!  Good luck with the install.

Myself and @isellacurasjust installed the Malibu surf pipe on @JustinH2016 lsv. I am assuming the FAE version is similar for installation.

You will need to remove the baffle in the main exhaust pipe.  You should have a piece of stainless pipe to replace it without a baffle.  The rubber hose was easily re-usable.  Intact it's better to re-use it because it's stretched out and will slide over the flange better when re-installing.

We also had to grind out the exhaust port hole a little to accommodate the surf pipe.  Having two sets of hands is a must, it's a two person job.  We used plenty of silicone around the flange and in the bolt holes.

One of harder items was getting the nylock nuts tightened, need someone inside the boat to tighten those down.  It's a tight squeeze in there.

Thanks for the advice.  The FAE is still sitting in my garage.  We have been so busy this summer out enjoying the boat that I have not had chance to install. And I'm also a little gun shy that if I get into trouble and need help the local boat guys are too busy to get me in to back me up.  Really looking forward to not seeing or smelling the exhaust but right now we are all surfing and having a great time with our new Malibu.      

3 hours ago, Fman said:

Myself and @isellacurasjust installed the Malibu surf pipe on @JustinH2016 lsv. I am assuming the FAE version is similar for installation.

You will need to remove the baffle in the main exhaust pipe.  You should have a piece of stainless pipe to replace it without a baffle.  The rubber hose was easily re-usable.  Intact it's better to re-use it because it's stretched out and will slide over the flange better when re-installing.

We also had to grind out the exhaust port hole a little to accommodate the surf pipe.  Having two sets of hands is a must, it's a two person job.  We used plenty of silicone around the flange and in the bolt holes.

One of harder items was getting the nylock nuts tightened, need someone inside the boat to tighten those down.  It's a tight squeeze in there.

What was the cost of the Malibu surf pipe?

Don't know the price today but when I purchased by 2016 in June 2016 the surf pipe option had an MSRP option price of $800.  Invoice around $480 if that helps.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater
21 minutes ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Don't know the price today but when I purchased by 2016 in June 2016 the surf pipe option had an MSRP option price of $800.  Invoice around $480 if that helps.  

Was that when you purchased it already on the boat or as a part?

I added it to my 2016 23 LSV my second year.  I paid around $1,500.00 installed.  Not a very good price apparently.  Should be standard equipment in my opinion.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, chrisnorem said:

I added it to my 2016 23 LSV my second year.  I paid around $1,500.00 installed.  Not a very good price apparently.  Should be standard equipment in my opinion.  

Ouch, do you know how much of that was parts vs labor?

4 minutes ago, Kblagg said:

Ouch, do you know how much of that was parts vs labor?

Actually it was worse.  Parts $1,188.21 and labor was $584.00.  

FAE has a Malibu Crew discount but the price depends on some of the options you select.  Mine was $640.00 with all the options.  Instructions and the mounting brackets included along with a phone number for tech support.  I have called the number to ask a few questions and Larry himself answered and said he could walk through the install when I'm ready. But I'm definitely not a mechanic and as I said earlier gun shy to start a project that if I don't finish means the boat is out of commission. 

It's really not super difficult but I would highly recommend two people.  It would be near impossible to do it solo.  You will need a good pneumatic air grinder of some type to enlarge the hole probably 1/8-1/16".

Assuming same design and specs as the malibu surf pipe??? We were not anticipating having to do any grinding on the MALIBU surf pipe.  The FAE might be a perfect fit but just incase good to have a plan B.

On 7/31/2017 at 4:43 PM, Kblagg said:

Was that when you purchased it already on the boat or as a part?

Yes that was the option price sorry .  Was able to get a late '16 with it installed from the factory.  Just trying to give you a ball park on actual surf pipe cost.  

I just had the factory surf pipe installed by the dealer on my 2017 21 VLX for $1,500. Its not an option on this boat from the factory.  Testing it out this afternoon.

1 hour ago, Scott1969 said:

I just had the factory surf pipe installed by the dealer on my 2017 21 VLX for $1,500. Its not an option on this boat from the factory.  Testing it out this afternoon.

Please report back I am intrigued since I too have a 21 vlx

One thing to keep in mind...FAE or surf pipe will not reduce cabin noise.  It's designed to reduce sound behind the boat on a surf or wakeboard.  You will be disappointed if you are installing one to quiet the cabin down.  They work great for behind the boat and allowing your speakers to project sound easier.  They will also eliminate any leftover exhaust fumes.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2
28 minutes ago, Fman said:

One thing to keep in mind...FAE or surf pipe will not reduce cabin noise.  It's designed to reduce sound behind the boat on a surf or wakeboard.  You will be disappointed if you are installing one to quiet the cabin down.  They work great for behind the boat and allowing your speakers to project sound easier.  They will also eliminate any leftover exhaust fumes.

I don't agree with this. After comparing my '16 23LSV w/o Surf pipe vs. my '17 23 LSV with Surf Pipe, the '17 is MUCH quieter all the way from idle to full speed. Slurpee has all the sound data to prove this. No more dreaded steam either for those that were worried about that.

• Like 1

Interesting because I just helped install a surf pipe on a 2016 LSV.   The owner was disappointed in the cabin noise reduction.   He noted very little to no change inside the cabin.  Better results behind the boat.  I also installed FAE on my 2015 22vlx and did not notice any change inside the cabin.  Definite improvement behind the boat.

Could the 2016 and 2017 have different insulation inside engine compartment and seat backing?  same prop on each boat?

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Fman said:

Interesting because I just helped install a surf pipe on a 2016 LSV.   The owner was disappointed in the cabin noise reduction.   He noted very little to no change inside the cabin.  Better results behind the boat.  I also installed FAE on my 2015 22vlx and did not notice any change inside the cabin.  Definite improvement behind the boat.

Could the 2016 and 2017 have different insulation inside engine compartment and seat backing?  same prop on each boat?

They could have different insulation but it has not been confirmed. Just a guess really although the prop on the 23LSV '16 was a 2249 and the '17 was a 2277. 

We compared Slurpee's '16 22VLX with Surfpipe to my '16 23LSV w/o Surfpipe. Both had the same motors and drive trains and same 2249 props at some point in the test. My '16 was Much louder at all RPM's. The only difference was Surfpipe. We collected data at 500 rpm intervals from idle to full speed, we didn't collect data at speed points since the difference in props made different speeds at the same RPM's. It was all collected with the same microphone in the same location of the boat and same software. My 23LSV actually had the mic a little farther from the back of the boat since the mic location was beside the driver's seat and my LSV is longer than the VLX.

Slupree installed a lot of sound proofing to his '16 22VLX and we collected the data as before. He has much less noise with that setup.

We tested my '17 23LSV with Surfpipe and 2277 prop. We have data on this prop on his boat as well. His '16 22VLX was still more quite than my '17 but much better than the stock '16 23LSV. We are guessing most of the noise reduction on the '17 to having more padding and thicker backing material in the locker covers and the back of the back seat along with the Surfpipe. We have never measured this with anything other than feel and never side by side. A lot of the noise was drive line noise and prop noise. I can hit up Slurpee when he gets back from vacation to see if he could separate the different noises from the boats in his data points. That would be the defining test. The thing that my ears noticed was the exhaust noise reduction, at take off from just above idle to full throttle. The '16 23LSV with the Raptor motor was so much louder than the 23LSV I had before it with the GM Monsoon. This '17 is back to the quite boat that I like.