Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2277 or 2247 that is the question?

Excel516

I Have a 2015 22 VLX with the LS3 450.  I run a 1235 now and want a 15".  We surf, and the kids wakeboard.  No huge wakeboard waves for awhile.  Setup is Wakemakers custom fit bags and a Ronix 600 bow for surfing.  We normally  just run the back bags 1/2 to 3/4 full and no bow weight.  The 450 has no trouble with any setup.  Running empty the boat tops out around 42 at 5/8 throttle.  Just looking to load it little more for better cruising.  We are close to sea level.  Thanks.

Going 15" is going to be an effective step up in pitch from a 14.5" prop.  So just staying at 14.25" pitch in a 15 is going to "feel" taller from the butt dyno from a holeshot perspective.

That said, I think you won't really see an increase in top speed.  Something about the 15s when they spin high rpms at high velocity just aren't as efficient as the smaller diameter props.  

You are on the right track.  If you never ever want to be worried about enough power when you have a full boat and full sacks, go 2247.  If you are willing to compromise a little in those extreme cases, 2277.

(and shameless plug -- I'll make you a deal on a 2391 -- used once, too agro on my 1.72 tranny)

• Like 3

Boat has the 1:51.  I will look into those other props.  I want to use more of the available power the boat has.  On the rev limiter at 5/8 throttle.  Just want to try something different.  67King the 1235 will become my spare.  I have a 537 to sell.

I think the 2277 might be a bit much with that trans. In a boat with  1.76 trans it would be pushing the boat at 42 MPH at 5500 RPM. I would look a step down from that prop. Not accounting for increasing hull drag with the 1.51 trans you would be doing better then 48MPH at 5500.

Edited by Sailvi767
  • 3 weeks later...

Well got the 2277.  Its a bit much for surfing heavy.  I don't run bow weight, so the rear bags could be filled about half.  The engine was working hard.  Gave up a little throttle response too.  Everything else is cool.  Cruising 3000 RPM speed is increased by 8 and top speed by 7.  Top speed is now just over 48.  Might be selling the 2277 for the 2247.

15 minutes ago, Excel516 said:

Well got the 2277.  Its a bit much for surfing heavy.  I don't run bow weight, so the rear bags could be filled about half.  The engine was working hard.  Gave up a little throttle response too.  Everything else is cool.  Cruising 3000 RPM speed is increased by 8 and top speed by 7.  Top speed is now just over 48.  Might be selling the 2277 for the 2247.

Let me know what you'll sell the 2277 for. I am interested in it.

• 5 years later...

I just got a new to me 2016 vlx 22 with the 410 motor and it came with a acme 2315 15x12 prop and my rpms are insanely high. I am at 5000 ft elevation

with my boat with the 1.76 gear ratio, should I be looking at the 2277 or 2247? or maybe something else entirely?...

The 2016 Malibu 22 VLX with the Monsoon 410 and 1.76 trans had factory prop options of an Acme 2249, 15x14.25, for high altitude or high torque or an Acme 2277, 15x15.75, as the standard prop.  The high torque prop is best for surfing with ballast and the standard prop is best for cruising at lower altitudes.