Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'02 Sunsetter 320 Monsoon missing under load

Thanks in advance for all help. First issue with a Malibu in close to 10 years !!

Boat ran fine last year then put away. Maiden voyage today. Falters under load. Little trouble at idle. Not much. Noticed fuel pump (regulator?) at engine kinda whining. Dont remember it doing that.

Looked at spark plugs. Dry as the sahara. All look brand new. New cap and rotor last year, look excellent today. Pulled fuel filter. Seems clean, though original.

I think the boat is not getting enough gas.

Two questions:

Is there a pump in the tank? If there is, a screen or filter in there?

Is that a pump on the engine near the oil filter? It is kinda whining. Is there screens or a filter there?

Thanks again for all help !!

Steve B.

Quick edit: When I pulled the inline filter, there was like 3 drops of gas in it. I thought it would be full after running earlier. Maybe fuel goes back into tank when shut off.

Edited by Steve B.
Added info

When you say the fuel filter is original, do you mean that you have never changed it? If so, I would start by replacing that filter. If the filter is clogged or otherwise obstructed it will limit fuel flow to the fuel pump and may be the cause of the abnormal whining sound.

I do not believe you would have a fuel pump in your fuel tank.

I did get the fuel filter out, but it seems completely clean. I can blow thru it easily. No gunk came out or debris or anything. But I will replace it. I thought for sure it would be clogged.

My guess is the engine is getting almost no fuel. Just a guess. Although it starts easily, and idles around the lake ok. No gassy exhaust smell or anything.

:)

Steve B.

It may be worth your while to inspect the fuel pump inlet screen while you are working to resolve your issue. I have never inspected my pump inlet, but I believe I have read on other postings that their is a screen there.

• Like 2

Welcome to the saga of the external fuel pump. I had to replace mine because it went bad. Then new one would vapor lock. You'll have to look up my threads. After much fussing, i have this spring added a carter external rotery vane pump inline  after the first fuel filter as well as a handfull of other fuel system mods.  This is sometimes needed to keep the main external pump primed. So far no problems. 

Steve, just battled my way thru the symptoms you describe but on a carbed motor. Assume some similar parts are used here however. Found the canister fuel filter was clean and the carter pump screen filter was clean. Found the blockage occurred at the fuel tank suction line and the anti-syphon valve located on top of tank. Suggest you check the valve first, best way to check it is to remove the small 4 screws from the round aluminum plate and pull the whole suction line a**'y. If it's blocked you will see it big time.

Thanks mcgreg. That is my next step. Putting in a new filter and cleaning the pump screen definitely helped, but I can still hear the pump whirring just a tiny bit.

Steve B.

Want to make sure what I'm working on. Link below is a pic of tank connection. The far right plate with screws and electrical connection is just the fuel gauge assembly?

I know the middle larger connected to the filter is the output to pump.

The connection on the left, is the return connection from the pump. Will this have the ball-valve assembly below?  There is a 4th connection, which is the hose that goes to the vent on the side of the boat. That doesn't have the ball valve does it?

link to pic shows what I'm looking at.

Thanks everyone for you help again,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154815135@N04/album

I'm thinking the connector with the red top is the ball-valve assembly?

Edited by Steve B.
clarification