Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Exhaust Installation

JustinH

I have the surf exhaust on order and am planning to install it myself as it looks fairly straight forward.  That said, I am wondering if it really is ;-) , and if anyone who has done it has tips/advice?

Thanks,

Justin

2016 LSV

Thanks guys.  Did the exhaust come with install instructions?  Not sure if its a consumer friendly package or if they expect dealerships to install...

I would find it hard to answer your question.  Did you purchase the surf pipe from Malibu directly?   Or is this an aftermarket part?   

I am guessing Malibu's is about the same as the aftermarket option.   Loosen a couple of clamps on the inside, remove the existing tip, mount up and drill new holes and mount the pipe to the wedge bracket & tighten everything up.   Here are a couple of pictures maybe to help you visualize what the FAE looks like to install.   Maybe someone with the Malibu design can validate that their is similar on the mounting as this.  I like the look of the Malibu pipe better but it was 2X the price for basically the same thing.

FAE2.jpg

Surf Pipe.jpg

Edited by store934

@JustinH I installed FAE on my 2015 vlx.  It was not that difficult and the 2017 surf pipe should be even easier with the one piece design.  Just make sure and use plenty of marine silicone and everything is sealed up properly.

If you need a second set of hands tow your boat over and we can knock it out together.  I would be more than happy to help you with a second set of eyes.  I am in Penryn which is not too bad of a tow from EDH.  I gotta shop we can work in too :)

@oldjeepIt's a one piece design with bends, very well engineered and looks cool too.  Edit: see pic above!

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

3231230 – surf pipe

3231232 – coupler – Replaces current muffler

3222322 – exhaust hose 27” long, it’s easier to cut the old one off the old muffler

4  - 2”x ¼”-20 countersunk bolts, washers and nuts

Basic steps to install:

Remove old exhaust tip

Remove old exhaust hose

Remove old muffler

Install new coupler and tighten clamps on engine side

Install new exhaust hose and tighten clamps on other side

Dry fit surfpipe and drill new mounting holes

Silicone the surfpipe flange and install

Thru bolt using the included backing ring

Tighten hose clamps on surfpipe flange

• Like 3
14 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Does the Malibu design have bends, or a half dozen miter cuts and welds?

I don't know how FAE hasn't evolved to using bends yet.

I will be surprised if FAE stays in business unless he is building all these surf pipes for all wakeboard boats?  My guess would be Malibu is building them in house.

You are probably right down the road it will get harder to compete.  Finally has some competition.   I get the impression it might be a side business rather than primary income.   I suppose there will always be guys like me that want to save a few dollars and so many boats are still not coming with this option (at least in my area) that we will have to decide between oem and aftermarket.  I like to buy slightly used rather than order.

I am sure we are in  the minority on even seeing the benefit of the pipe.  Most don't know or care.  If I had to see it more than putting it in for the summer and taking the boat out for winter or if there was noticble performance decrease between in bent vs miter cuts  I would have went oem.

So far so good on the performance even though I am sure a bent pipe is probably better than miter cuts.  I don't care what it looks like on trailer but I am pretty practical rather than show.

10 hours ago, Fman said:

I will be surprised if FAE stays in business unless he is building all these surf pipes for all wakeboard boats?  My guess would be Malibu is building them in house.

Larry Mann, Owner of FAE also owns the patent for all "surf pipes".  US 7387555 B1 is the patent number.  The Bent versions are made by another company under license from FAE.  Either way, the owners of FAE make revenue off both versions.  Licensing for bent versions most likely makes more sense than the huge capital expense of high quality bending equipment. The ones made with bends are welded up from several bent sections of tube, not one single piece.  The welds are sanded smooth and the entire unit chrome plated and polished.  Malibu doesn't make their own.  

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:20 PM, Fman said:

@JustinH I installed FAE on my 2015 vlx.  It was not that difficult and the 2017 surf pipe should be even easier with the one piece design.  Just make sure and use plenty of marine silicone and everything is sealed up properly.

If you need a second set of hands tow your boat over and we can knock it out together.  I would be more than happy to help you with a second set of eyes.  I am in Penryn which is not too bad of a tow from EDH.  I gotta shop we can work in too :)

@oldjeepIt's a one piece design with bends, very well engineered and looks cool too.  Edit: see pic above!

Hey @Fmanthanks for the offer!  I just got word that the pipe came in, I am going to pick it up today and try to put it on this weekend using @23LSVOwner's instructions above.  If I run into trouble I'll look you up :-)

Tell Craig and the boyz I said hi...good luck on the install hope everything goes well.  I am sure it's going to be fine.:)

Edited by Fman
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:12 AM, 23LSVOwner said:

3231230 – surf pipe

3231232 – coupler – Replaces current muffler

3222322 – exhaust hose 27” long, it’s easier to cut the old one off the old muffler

4  - 2”x ¼”-20 countersunk bolts, washers and nuts

Basic steps to install:

Remove old exhaust tip

Remove old exhaust hose

Remove old muffler

Install new coupler and tighten clamps on engine side

Install new exhaust hose and tighten clamps on other side

Dry fit surfpipe and drill new mounting holes

Silicone the surfpipe flange and install

Thru bolt using the included backing ring

Tighten hose clamps on surfpipe flange

now that I have opened the box (which has no instructions) and I can see the parts included, I can say that these instructions above are excellent.  Thank you very much.  I have a couple follow up questions:

1.  My boat is in storage right now, so I cant see the muffler, but to clarify the coupler placement, nothing is metal to metal here correct?  In the past when I have done either pass through exhausts or mounted a exhaust to a header downtube, I have used a gasket and/or Permatex RTV Silicon Sealant.  There is no gasket included, I just want to make sure I don't need one, and do I need any exhaust sealant?

2.  "Drill new mounting holes"  That's scary! :-) .  I take it the old holes don't line up correctly?  In dry fitting, is the only consideration getting the exhaust vertical, or are there other fit considerations between the flange and hull?  I am assuming we would obviously silicon seal the old holes as well as the flange?  I did purchase marine silicon yesterday.

Thanks again for your time.

On 6/9/2017 at 0:30 PM, JustinH said:

now that I have opened the box (which has no instructions) and I can see the parts included, I can say that these instructions above are excellent.  Thank you very much.  I have a couple follow up questions:

1.  My boat is in storage right now, so I cant see the muffler, but to clarify the coupler placement, nothing is metal to metal here correct?  In the past when I have done either pass through exhausts or mounted a exhaust to a header downtube, I have used a gasket and/or Permatex RTV Silicon Sealant.  There is no gasket included, I just want to make sure I don't need one, and do I need any exhaust sealant?

2.  "Drill new mounting holes"  That's scary! :-) .  I take it the old holes don't line up correctly?  In dry fitting, is the only consideration getting the exhaust vertical, or are there other fit considerations between the flange and hull?  I am assuming we would obviously silicon seal the old holes as well as the flange?  I did purchase marine silicon yesterday.

Thanks again for your time.

There is a metal connection coming off of the Y on the exhaust from the metal, and then to the inside portion of the surf pipe itself.

Correct, holes do not line up perfectly. Just silicone well. I recommend completly injecting the old holes with silicone, covering the threads of the bolt with silicone when you push them through. Make sure you clean any excess off quickly!

Also do not forget to countersink the holes you drill for the pipe mounting so that you do not get gel cracks in the future!

Edited by 23LSVOwner
  • 2 years later...