Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

02 Wakesetter VLX Stiff Steering After Cable Replacement Last Year.

DarcherG

Hey everyone - I'm running into an issue that I am unsure of. The end of 2015 I ended up with stiff steering on my 02 vlx wakesetter and ended up replacing the steering cable April last year 2016. Everything was great and the steering was amazing all year. We took the boat out for the first time today this season 2017 and same thing, the steering is already stiff turning to the left,  just like it was at the beginning of 2015 issue. My question is, do these cables go bad that quickly after one season? Is there a way to lubricate the cable? I find this insane for the cable to go bad this quickly. I replaced the cable myself and it was a pain in the a** and hope I don't have to do it again this soon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we want to take out the boat for camping next weekend.

Edited by DarcherG

I doubt it's the cable. Can you grease the rudder?  Also I'd make sure the rudder arm isn't hitting any hoses. Mine was when I first got my 04. Moving some hoses around slightly made things better. 

I will check hoses and see if I can grease the rudder.. but it seems like it's the cable. When I'm idle it's smooth turning the wheel. When I'm cruising around and put some force on it, it's really stiff turning to the left, right seems loose. When I stop and idle, back to loose turning left.

43 minutes ago, DarcherG said:

I will check hoses and see if I can grease the rudder.. but it seems like it's the cable. When I'm idle it's smooth turning the wheel. When I'm cruising around and put some force on it, it's really stiff turning to the left, right seems loose. When I stop and idle, back to loose turning left.

I'd be suspecting the rudder bushings if it is only at speed.  Grab the rudder and see how much side to side/ front to back play it has

My 05 LSV had the same stiff steering after I changed the cable. I loosened the rudder and dropped it until it hit the trailer and lubed it. I used a floor jack to hold the rudder as high up as I could get it and re-tightened it. The steering was like new again, I suspect the rudder needed lube and it hand a bit too much up and down play causing the steering to get tight at speed.

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2017 at 9:14 AM, DarcherG said:

Did you find anything else wrong?  I'm getting ready to order a new cable, but I guess I should check the rudder first. 

INCOPPNITO check your rudder first I don't think I needed the cable its worth an hour of your time to lube and tighten the rudder just make sure to jack it up tight so you get all the up and down play out of it that you can. If you have too much up and down play at speed the steering will be stiff at idle it will still feel fine.

Edited by Doublee133